Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomcreemers Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 03:09 AM
    USB to Firewire cable does not work
    I've got a digital camera JVC GR-DF420E. I used to have a firewire connection in my PC, but now I own a laptop and want to capture my videos on this laptop. That's why I bought a USB to Firewire cable, but it does not work!

If I connect the USB cable into the laptop the following message appears: "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it".

When I look (Windows XP) into the particular USB Root Hub (2 ports) it says 'Unknown Device' and the following device status: "No drivers are installed for this device. If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter". Via Troubleshoot I cannot install a driver.

Who can help me?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 03:58 PM

Right click on my computer and go to the hardware tab. Once there click "Device Manager"

You will probably see an icon or two that say "Unknown Device"

You can right click on it and select "Update Now"

The wizard will walk you through the update, try the online one. If it says that it can't find the drivers, you can probably find the drivers for it online somewhere.

Post the type and model of the camera you have and I'll take a look to see if I can find the drivers and walk you through the manual install.

Aug 14, 2010, 12:11 AM

Thanks, but I've already tried that and it could not find the drivers.

I could not find the driver via the internet. The type and model of the camera is: JVC GR-DF420E.

Thanks in advance!
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2010, 06:09 AM

I can't find anything online, however if you still have the CD that came with the camera, you may be able to pull the drivers off there.

Second, I heard using a FireWire Hub wasn't a horrible idea.

Aug 17, 2010, 01:42 AM

A Firewire Hub is no option. I've got a Compaq Presario CQ71-210ED (= laptop) but there are no firewire or PC Cards/Expresscards available. Is there another solution for my problem?
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 03:18 AM

They have ones that plug into usb ports and offer both usb and firewire ports that come with a driver cd. Then you can use either firewire or usb (all plugged in through a usb)

COMPAQ USBFW 7-Port USB 2.0 / FireWire Combo Hub - eBay (item 140440657702 end time Aug-24-10 17:22:55 PDT)

Something like that will do what you need. There are cheaper ones out there and it also comes with its own driver cd, so the firewire ports act like firewire ports that would be installed on your computer.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2010, 02:48 AM

What is a Firewire to USB Adapter?

I found this, it will explain better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

G3 to USB Printer Cable? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a G3 with an HP/USB connection, what cable will connect them? 8 pin mini DIN to USB? Or serial to USB :confused:

View more questions Search