Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    perfwood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 10:54 PM
    Overhead from a 100 amp service panel to a 100 amp subpanel in a garage.
    An Electrician friend said I could use #4 copper for the (2)120 volt legs and a conventional
    Suspension wire as the nuetral. The overhead span is about 35 feet and the overall run
    From panel to panel is about 70 feet.The supply outlet said to use #2 copper.
    Also, what type wire for sunlight resistance
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 05:48 AM

Part one: NEC 2008, requires a four wire feed to a sub-panel. If you are onlly going to provide power to one circuit or to a multiwire circuit you should be fine, but if you ever have to take it to a 120/240 feed, all of the work you've just done will have to come out.

Part 2, it's not the voltage that is important, it's the required amperage. I realize you are wanting to drop 100 amps to the garage, but I don't think that that is what you actually need. What do you plan to use (electrically speaking) in the garage? Most of the garages that I've seen recently don't draw more than 60 amps.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that can link you to the NFPA site to read the Code Book online.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2011, 06:35 PM
    A question... is there such a thing as a 4 wire "suspension wire" I haven't seen but it could solve some installation problems where overhead is preferred or underground is nearly impossible.
    dunc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2013, 08:24 AM
    You need to upgrade your service to a two hundred amp
    dunc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2013, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    A question....is there such a thing as a 4 wire "suspension wire" I haven't seen but it could solve some installation problems where overhead is preferred or underground is nearly impossible.
    Yes you can get SE wire from the electrical supply to run overhead
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 08:29 AM
    you need to upgrade your service to a two hundred amp
    Considering this was posted over two year ago I'd say the project is done by now.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 08:30 AM
    yes you can get SE wire from the electrical supply to run overhead
    SE is not run overhead.

In one post you are asking about running 100A from a 100A service, in the next you are giving electrical advice.
    Where are you getting your facts from?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Updating service panel to 200 amp with feeder to 100 amp panel in old house [ 8 Answers ]

I currently in the process of converting 1000 sq ft of attached garage into living space while doing this we are updating electrical service to 200 amp new service, there is 100 amp service in the old part of the house which will remain but need to be sub paneled from the new 200 amp service. I...

100 amp service, add a subpanel [ 2 Answers ]

I'm going to be finishing my basement and needing to look at my current full 100A panel and expanding it. Currently has the following circuits: 20A kitchen 20A kitchen 40A range 20A water heater 15A basement lights 30A air cond 15A lights 15/15A furnace 15A lights

Can I add a 60 amp GFI (for new hot tub) to my 100 amp service panel? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a used hot tub. It comes with a 60 amp gfi switch. My home has 100 amp panel. I presently have 5 small pony boxes off the main panel. It is old style glass screw in fuses. House built in '68. Can I just add another pony box rated for 60 amp fuses ? If not, do I then need to rewire...

100 Amp Subpanel from 200 Amp main panel [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a subpanel to be used to supply branch circuits to a new kitchen, laundry, garage, and some additional lighting and receptacles. The 200 amp main panel is about 50 ft away but because of the obstructions, we'll need about 85 feet of cable to connect the 100 amp subpanel. Since...

Maximum subpanel on a 100 amp service [ 2 Answers ]

HI, I have a decent size 2 bedroom house with a 100 amp panel. I want to put a sub panel in my garage that's about 50 feet away from my panel. I was wondering what the maximum sub-panel is that I can put in my garage. I have a small welder and a possible small compressor that I would like to...

View more questions Search