Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    20smoke20 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Addictions
    My 9 year old has mood changes, stealing problems, and sees things that are not there. He has trouble sleeping at night also. We have been to the dr. and he put him on pills for sleeping.oh he also has adhd and is on meds for that. The stealing is getting far worse. He is now stealing from the schools and has had problems with his attitude with the teachers. I am not sure where to turn next. I have had him to different dr. and they act like they don't believe me. Now that it is happening at school and during his therapy sessions I have more prove but I am lost on where to turn next. Please give me any advice you can.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 20, 2006, 04:00 PM
    First let me welcome you to AMHD.

Now, there is more to the story that you have not included. What is the family life like? Is Mom/Dad involved?

What kind of punishments are used?

Dec 20, 2006, 04:13 PM
    Yes both parents live in the house.Dad has bi-polar. He goes to monthly therapy and also is on lots of meds. Mom is getting stressed out fast. He is the youngest out of 3. he was fine until 2 years ago when he was diagnosed with adhd. Then he was put on meds and was fine until 9 mo. Ago when he started having different behavior problems.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 20, 2006, 04:34 PM
    Are you Mom or Dad? Could it be time for a med check? Meds may need to be adjusted

Dec 20, 2006, 04:48 PM
    I am mom. He has gone to the dr. every month since September. He was at a mental health place for a week and a half . To me it sounds like bi-polar but what do I know I am just the mom.
    lostandnowfound Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Jan 10, 2007, 12:36 PM
    How is he finding windows off opportunity to steal?
    I do not believe in meds for kids.. but I do believe in strong parenting... you have the keys to stop this behavior... no offense mom... but I have issue with his age beliving this is the child issues... where are you failing him.. be hard on yourself and be honest... are you droping the ball or enabling that father to make descions that make your son be able to do this..

One last question... since you noticed it was about 9 months ago this happened... can you trace back to see if something important happened around that time... maybe soemthing at school he did not tell you...
    coachj Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2010, 05:03 PM

I know this is a stressful situation for you but there's a few things that were concerning. Something happened 9 months ago. HE could be mad/ hurt over something that happened. But at 9 it seems to be a scream for help. Adhd is way over diagnosed. I have been where you are, I had 4 boys, my husband wasn't very supportive for the most part. My son has ADD and so do I. I tried medicine but there's some issue problems with add meds. The other side of having ADD just takes work. You must give them a strict environment, they really need organization and discipline. I would also have the med level checked. Start with the weakest possible. Its not a miracle pill though, they don't stop talking back, being hyper just from the pill. You have to step up and keep his life 1) structured and 2) FULL, busy.. sports or music, whatever he loves to do, get him busy. I love positive reinforcement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husbands addictions destroying our life [ 7 Answers ]

I would appreciate your advice on my problem. My husband & I have been married for 14 years and have 3 kids. The first few years of our marriage were very difficult as my husband had a cocaine & alcohol addiction & was unfaithful, using prostitutes when he was high. I’m not sure how I survived...

View more questions Search