Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bonniewhite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 06:03 PM
    Gear Shift will not move unless car is off/on again
    I was stopped with the engine on. In park. I decided to then go and put foot on brake and moved the gear shift back to Drive. It would not go into drive. Would not move at all. Then turned engine off and turned back on and forced it into drive. It did but it sounded like it was in Low not regular. Drove home that way and stopped the car and it would not go beyond Neutral into Park. I turned the car off and removed the key and then the shift would move into park. In order to shift into gears, it needs to be shut off and turned on again. Why is this happening and what could the problem be? Thanks. Bonnie
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 08:01 PM

Bonnie, we need to know what you're driving first. Could it be a Bonnie-ville?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My car won't shift into gear [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 94 cutlass supreme 3.1 AT when I start my car it drops into gear no problem and about after 30 seconds of driving fine in D it falls out of gear stays in a "false neutral state" Until I turn off the car and let it sit for 20 seconds or so. I checked the AT fluid and it does seem very...

My car won't shift into gear [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1989 jeep wrangler with a puegot ba10 5 transmission. At a stop sign one day I tried putting it into gear but it made the gears grind immediately causing the engine to stall. After this point whether the car engine is running or not, it will not shift into gear. It is a manual...

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. Only 47,000 miles. Gear shift will move, but [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. Only 47,000 miles. Gear shift will move, but the vehicle will not go in gear.

My car would not shift into gear after I start the engine. [ 2 Answers ]

When I tried to shift into gear, the lever moves freely without selecting any gear. I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette.

Car doesn't shift into drive gear [ 4 Answers ]

Have a 97 ford taurus.. I was driving when I heard a click noise and then I wasn't able to accelerate. I put it in parking and then tried to get into drive but it won't go into drive. It moves into reverse and neutral, but doesn't move in reverse. What might be the problem? Transmission failure?

View more questions Search