Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talen2106 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 05:21 PM
    Having trouble with my pain management doctor due to coming up negative for my oxycod
    I am on chronic pain meds prescribed by my pain management doctor and I took my methadone 20mg and oxycodone ir 15mg at 0500 at 1pm the pain doctor did a urine drug screen and got results in office right away and I came up negative for the oxycodone ir and positive for my methadone now I am in trouble for coming up negative for the oxycodone ir even though I know I took it why did it come up negative and how can I prove I took it
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 06:11 PM

Immunoassay (IA) testing (on-site) is notoriously inaccurate with an average error rate of about 20%. Seldom are these tests relied upon for other than preliminary screening. Confirmatory testing by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) is required.

There are many other possibilities as this is a common occurrence in dealing with many classes of drugs that do not show up on standard opiate screens. It may be that the drug was below the level of detection for the specific IA. They are usually significantly higher than the LOD for confirmatory testing.

You should advise the testing physician, in writing, that the test results are in error. Keep a copy for yourself. Unless the urine sample was split, as it should be, and properly stored there is little you can do to disprove the results.

You have every right to challenge the results which places the testing agent(cy) in the position of proving their results. IAs do not hold up to challenge at any level. But first take the easy route. Adivse in writing and it may blow over.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2010, 03:26 AM
    Comment on DrBill100's post
    More and more sage advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can a pain management doctor do for me? [ 2 Answers ]

I've been suffering from chondromalacia for a while now, surgery didn't help... actually, I developed a post-op DVT in the leg, and now have post thrombotic syndrome, which is even more painful than the knee pain. I actually had to resign from my job because of this, and I'm sick of the pain...

Doctor says my ear pain and scratchy throat due to tight neck muscles? [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a viral infection 2 weeks ago. It was a sore throat, ear pain and severe headache that lasted 3 days. All on the left side of my face. I felt better for 5 days. Went back to work and started with itchy ear pain and scratchy throat. She said there is nothing wrong except that my neck...

Doctor thinks I'm pregnant, yet negative tests! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I went to the doctors at the start February 2009, as I was feeling a bit rough, I had left it a week before I went as if I'm ill, I'm usually better by the seventh day. This has been going on since the 2nd feb. I nearly fainted at work, I felt sick, dizzy and very queasy and I'm not one to...

Would any doctor see me due to mental issues? [ 5 Answers ]

I've been putting this off for a long time now. I have a hard time dealing with things each day. It's been going on for several years. I have insurance through my job so I figure now is the time to act. I guess I worry about my job. I don't think they can fire me, but I worry about other...

My pain management doctor denied me opiods [ 2 Answers ]

On my first visit to my pain management doctor I tested positive for marijuana. It is not something I do all the time and now he is dening me badly needed pain meds. How long does this last? Forever or if I continue to test negative will he then be allowed to prescibe for me? I am so confused and...

View more questions Search