Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 11:32 AM
    I have a new bunny baby... and some questions.
    I have a bunny now. We brought him/her home on Saturday. I have never had one before and want to make sure things are OK. I did read the sticky Alty wrote. Some things I am not doing and some I am. Some things make me nervous.

I did buy a cage with the wire bottom. But I also didn't think it was right for his little paws on that wire all the time. I lined it with paper and covered it in bedding I bought at Walmart. Some kind of wood shavings or chips. I left a few inches in each end open for poop to fall.

I do have Tim Hay for him.

I have a edible playhouse for him.

I say him but I am not sure what sex it is.

There is a toy hanging with some wood blocks and a bell.

He will be in my sons playhouse. Is this good or bad?

I am afraid he might bite. Do bunnies bite?

He was shy the first day we brought him home but I can reach in now and he doesn't run from me.

Where is the best place to pet him?
    Attached Images

cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 01:53 PM

Only few things I can add till the real experts come along is. Be careful with wood chips. The cedar ones can caus infections of the lungs in rabbits. Another thing is you can treat your rabbit like a cat if you like as far as petting. Its OK undersupervision to let them play outside of their cage. Treats are OK too but stay away from lettuce. And yes bunnies bite. Not that he will but some get attatched to certain people and will bite others. So if your child has others over be careful. No rough handling.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 10:17 PM

Calidad, lettuce is actually fine, in moderation. Too much of anything is never good, except for timothy hay, that is a staple that rabbits need every day.

Carrots can also be given, but this should be a treat, not something bunny gets every day, and you can also feed him dandelions and the leaves, as long as you don't fertilize or spray your lawn, just pluck, rinse, and feed. :)

My sticky covers most things, but there are a few things I didn't mention in it, probably should update. The play house. I'm assuming you mean that you're putting his cage in the playhouse? Right? It should be okay, as long as there's ventilation. Too hot and bunny could die. They need a place with good air quality, not too hot, not too cold.

The wire bottom is very hard on their feet and rabbits that have these types of cages will develop sores on their feet. The sores are very painful and can make the rabbit lame. If you put newspaper and wood chips (pine is best) than that should be okay, but the problem is that rabbits love to chew, especially on newspaper, and I doubt he'll leave his little carpet alone for long. Is it possible to remove the wire? That would be best. The only benefit to a wire bottom cage is for the rabbit owner, because the poo and pee falls to the bottom, making clean up easier. There is absolutely no benefit to the rabbit, in fact, it's horrible for a rabbit.

If cleanup is a concern look into buying a litter box. Rabbits are very clean animals, they don't like to live in filth and they will choose one corner to pee and poo in. Simply place the litter box (they have rabbit litter boxes, triangle shape to fit into the corner of the cage) in the corner he's using as his toilet, fill it with kitty litter (many experts say kitty litter is dangerous, but it's not. Simply buy a kitty litter that doesn't create dust. The rabbit litter is made of packed newspaper, and newspaper is a stress reliever, something they will chew, so they're more likely to eat the litter than use it for it's intended purpose) put a few pieces of poo in it and some wood chips with his urine, and he'll get the hang of it after a while.

Rabbits can bite and it can hurt, but only a frightened rabbit will bite. Rabbits can form a very real bond with their humans, a lot like cats and dogs. One of my rabbits loves to sit on my lap while we're watching a movie. As long as I have a towel for him to nibble on, it's all good.

The more you handle him the tamer he will be.

Do you know his age? I would book an appointment with the vet and get him neutered (if it's a he) or spayed (if it's a she) as soon as possible. That will go a long way in making him a tame family pet, it will also prolong his/her life by many years. Also, un-neutered males spray, it's nasty, it stinks, it stains.

Before this turns into a book, I'll let you read what I've written. If you have any questions, just ask.

Also, he's adorable. What did you name him?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 10:36 PM

I have never had a problem with biting, a few nips here and there but nothing serious. If you pick bunny up and he is stressing out majorly put him straight down (if possible) to avoid bites and scratches. Dora hates being picked up so when I need to I always keep my hand over her eyes so she can't see how high off the ground she is... it helps most of the time :)

As for scratches, Dora LOVES being scratched on the butt, right above her tail. She will spin around and lick my hand when I scratch her there.
    They also love cheek rubs, just gently rub your finger on his cheek under his ear... Dora goes to sleep when I do that.

As for sex, flip him over on his back in your arms so you are cradling him like a baby (seems to put them in trance almost) and have a feel around the important bits. Males have 2 rather obvious extras that females don't ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2010, 07:45 AM
    I do use the cedar chips on top of the newspaper and I noticed he actually loved the newspaper. Scratches at it and chews it. We watch and its cute. Guess if the cedar chips aren't good I will get pine. We are hoping to build a cage to keep off the ground and one easier to clean. Sure this cage seems easy but he is a messy little thing. But I didn't think the wire on his feet were good and I was right after reading your post Alty. That's why I keep it covered and cushioned when I can.

We named him winkie. That's because when my cousin gave him to me she said she wasn't sure of its sex yet and would know if we saw a winkie. So we just named him winkie. I am going to send her a message and see when he was born.

He does seem to like to be picked up and he will just sit on my lap while I pet him. I have become bonded to him already. But the kids get rowdy around him and I am afraid that will scare him.

What about leashes or collars? I know they don't need them but I saw you could walk them. Not that we would but if we wanted him out of the cage on the lawn would he stay near? I guess once he is more tame he would.

But the one thing I am concerned with is the time we spend with him. I work six days a week. When I get home its dinner time and jammie time then bed shortly after. I have out 2.5 hours and that's rushing with Gavin. We hold him every day but its not at all 5 hours a day like your sticky said Alty. That's what worries me.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 07:49 AM

You could always get another bunny to keep him company :D

I had a little harness for Jack (old rabbit) you can buy special ones for bunnies but if you can't find one a small cat harness will do. Collars won't work, their skinny little heads slip straight through.
    They are good for a romp in the garden if you don't have a 100% secure yard.
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2010, 08:10 AM
    No other bunnies until I figure this one out. We need to build him a better cage but at the same time we are in the middle of getting things ready for our new house. So the timing for building a bunny cage isn't good. Not that it's a big deal, but the money issue is tight.

How many do you have Shaz?
    GeorgeLeigh50 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 09:46 AM

Have heard of people putting a diaper on the rabbit and letting it run around the house, supervised of course. Mostly I have been kicked by rabbits and given ugly disapproving looks but not bitten.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 09:54 AM

I did have 3 at one point but that was a disaster. They were all supposed to live together but Dora decided she wanted to kill the other 2. They went to live with my cousin and now I just have 1.

Mine lives outside (well, sort of, she's in a shed) because the mess was too much to handle inside... most bunnies are fine with being inside but Dora is shocking for digging, and she would literally dig all of her kitty litter and shaving out onto the floor.

I think as long as Winkie has plenty of toys and things to keep him occupied during the day he should be fine.
    I make puzzle toys for Dora, you just get a toilet roll seal each end up (just bend it in really well) Cut a hole right in the centre of the tube and drop a heap of treats inside (dried fruit is good)
    It's just like a kong for dogs but they can chew the cardboard as well as roll it around to make the treats fall out the hole.
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2010, 10:19 AM
    Good idea on the toys with the tube. I will do that. The mess is going to drive me nuts though. I need to get him in something outside for sure.
    Pets Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 12:24 PM

I have 4 and they're all inside, no problems, other than flies which we have a lot of this year.

Two is always better than one, because their social animals, but only if you have them both fixed, otherwise bad things can happen, not only unwanted babies, but fights if they're the same sex.

I understand being busy Sunny, and as long as he has something to play with, to keep busy with, he should be fine. I realize that 5 hours a day isn't ideal, and isn't possible for most people. I can't do 5 hours a day either. If I didn't have dogs I'd let my rabbits have the run of the house, but with 3 dogs, one a beagle (beagles were bred to hunt rabbits) I can't let them have the run of the house, I'd be asking for it. ;)

I love the name Winkie, that's too cute. He reminds me a bit of Thumper, my second bunny. Thumper is the one that sits on my lap while we're watching movies. He's not one for hopping around, he prefers to be held and petted.

The rest are little hop arounds, especially Kilala. Cotton is our binky king, he can binky like no other bunny. :)
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 02:02 PM

A great harness for bunnies (or other small pets) is a mesh one. I have them for my ferrets, and they barely notice them. I tried a cat harness on them (It was cheaper and I assumed it would work), my ferret through a fit... with the mesh one she doesn't care. Also, When I had Mocha she was inside with a rug under her, when she kicked out her shavings we just took it outside and shook it, worked like a charm.

When I had Cuddles(I was 5 OK? )
    He lived in my playhouse, he had "free run", but it was tin and he couldn't get out, and he was to fat to run away if he did get out. So the play house should be fine, check the temperature though.

You can always cut a piece of linoleum(SP?) for the floor, it is really cheap and easy to install (Cut it to size and zip tie it to the side's of the cage) it is washable and durable(ish).

I've owned 4 bunnies, and I have only been bitten once, which was my fault. I accidentally dropped one when he was trying to get away (He was new), and when I went to go pick him up he bit my arm, it feels like a pinch but not near as bad as some other things I have been bitten by.

Congrats and hope your family enjoys the new addition!
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Aug 16, 2010, 02:27 PM

Be careful with what you feed him. You should get a list from your vet, or contact a vet and they can supply you with a list of things your bunny can and cannot eat. They can also provide you with information to more accurately answer your questions. Make sure he can exercise, eat, and drink water daily. And you should clean his cage and wash it every couple days. Good luck!
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2010, 10:48 AM
    Thank you everyone. So far so good.
    He fell asleep on me yesterday. I was scratching his little forehead and then running my nails down his body and he stretched out and slept the little stinker. To cute.
    Pets Expert

Aug 20, 2010, 03:30 PM

Hey Sunny, just checking in to see how it's going. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2010, 05:55 PM
    My baby is doing great thank you for asking.

I had the hubby build him a better house/cage. Well he did for sure. It's a mini condo. No joking. Nice floor to it with a cute little ramp going upstairs. The upstairs is all closed in with no windows. I guess in case he wants to hide. But either way its cute. Men! He spent 3 days on the darn thing!
    Pets Expert

Aug 20, 2010, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 88sunflower View Post
    My baby is doing great thank you for asking.

I had the hubby build him a better house/cage. Well he did for sure. Its a mini condo. No joking. Nice floor to it with a cute little ramp going upstairs. The upstairs is all closed in with no windows. I guess in case he wants to hide. But either way its cute. Men! He spent 3 days on the darn thing!
    Darn. I may need to borrow your hubby Sunny.

I have dreamt of building a bunny condo, one that all four of my bunnies can occupy together. I have the dream, I have the skills, but I just don't know where to start, or what materials to use. I also don't want to rush into it.

Pictures? Pretty please? ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2010, 06:06 PM
    I will post pictures for sure. We have been so busy. Finishing up with the new home. Back to school. Operation for the hubby. Gavin birthday. Our Anniversary. Moving to new home. All before Sept. 25. Sooo tired. Wait, soooo stressed. Talk about money stress add all that in to the mix and I am nearly grey and bald!
    Pets Expert

Aug 20, 2010, 06:09 PM

{{{Sunny}}}}

This too shall pass.

I hope everything goes well. If it's any consolation, I'm almost in the same boat, minus moving.

Both kids are virgos, so am I. Many birthdays coming up asap. I have an operation coming up, pre-op appointment in Sept. Back to school for both kids on August 30.

Maybe we should both run away to Florida. You game? ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2010, 06:13 PM
    Am I game? Bring it on! Hell I will flip for one way tickets on me. You hussle us drinks when we get there.

On the bright side I have a interview for a new job on Tuesday morning. Its working for the State, kind of like maybe you working for your Province. Well anyway, its $6000 less a year then where I am now and twice the gas to get there. But benefits and retirement are amazing. Mature me has to take it. Its my goal, a state job. But new house screams "I need $6000!!" lol Life sure can throw some curve balls at times.

What's your operation for? Your anemia? Haven't checked in the threads so I am out of the loop. For the most part I hope your OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Got a wild baby bunny! Help! [ 3 Answers ]

My friends cat brought a baby rabbit in the house. Don't know where the nest is. It's less than four weeks old. Eyes are closed. Don't know what to do with it. It will probably be too much to bring it to a shelter/vet. Any formula or hydrating/nutritious supliment I can make for it?

I want a bunny [ 10 Answers ]

I want a bunny I never told my mom I wanted a bunny yet I am scared of what she is going too say. I bet she is going to say you have too many animals I have 2 dogs 5 cats 2 ponies 6 chinkens 2 goats and one is going to have a baby next year:D 1 bird only 2 animals live in the house. I take care of...

Baby wild bunny [ 4 Answers ]

One of my four silly cats brought in a baby bunny late last night... it looks as if it's back leg is wounded and blead a little... nothing more than a scratch might make. I have given it some carrots and broccoli but I'm not sure that it's old enough to eat them. It's about the size of the palm of...

Questions about weaning my breastfed baby [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I have numerous questions about weaning my baby. Personally, I do not want to wean her, but given my schedule when I head back to medical school I am going to have to. How long does it "usually" take? I plan on starting to wean her when she is almost 9 months. I tried going back to...

View more questions Search