Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    craigcaldwell Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 10:37 AM
    Low pressure in one shower, high pressure in the next
    Hello,

I purchased my first home about 4 months ago, and one of the first things I noticed upon moving in was that the shower valve in the master bath leaks unless you really crank the thing hard. Now over the last few months the water pressure in that shower (master bath) has been getting worse and worse. Strange thing is that the other shower (literally next room over) has fine pressure. Might replacing that shower valve solve the problem?? Could it be that the valve isn't turning all the way on, as well as not turning all the way off? Thanks, Craig
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 10:51 AM

Please tell us the brand and the model number of your faucet, you may need to replace the cartridge, Thanks.

John

Aug 12, 2010, 05:18 AM

The faucet is a Symmons and I believe the model is temptrol. Out of the 5 houses I've lived in in the last 8 years 4 of them had this exact faucet... its the type that you turn all the way on for hot water and has the slider to go from tub to shower. However, the one I'm talking about doesn't have the slide option because it is only a shower. I hope this helps and thanks for the reply, craig
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2010, 05:50 AM

Hello Craig,

Here is what need you need to do, shut the water to the house remove the handle and the spindle assembly TA9 see the image below, inspect the O rings, replace the O rings or the spindle assembly, before installation turn on the water for a few seconds to flush out any dirt out the faucet, use some plumber grease and lubricate the O rings and install the spindle and the handle, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Aug 12, 2010, 06:37 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for the help, I was hoping that I wasn't going to have to replace the whole valve. I'll let you know how it works out... thanks again.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 06:38 AM

I suggest before disassembling the valve, you remove the shower head and check the pressure and the volume. Could be mineral deposits in shower head. Could also be a water saving device in shower head.
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2010, 06:45 AM

Yep Excellent advice I missed that, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High well pump pressure, but low pressure in house [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old renovated home with a well. Pressure was never really great in the house, but acceptable. The well and line to the house is about 40 years old. Inside the house is a 2 yr old Amtrol xtrol pressure tank, which feeds a 2 yr old water softening system, which feeds a whole-house...

Shower water pressure went from high to low [ 1 Answers ]

I have always had great water pressure in my master shower. Recently we have been hearing a humming noise after the water was turned on. Today I went to take a shower and the water pressure was terrible. The water was barely coming out of the shower head. Is this a major problem? How can I fix it?...

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

High pressure at sink, low pressure at shower [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My sink in the bathroom has good solid water pressure. Next in the circuit is the toilet, which also has good pressure at the angle valve. The shower, however has terrible pressure. I have removed the head, and the pressure out of the shower neck is no better. Shower neck exits the...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search