Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firewalker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 02:34 PM
    Toilet bubbles
    I built my house a little over a year ago, and did everything myself to save money, however I am not a professional plumber. I am located in the country, so I did not pull any permits. My plumbing has worked fine up until about a month ago. My drain starts at the kitchen sink, and runs 20' in 2" PVC where it ties into the tub, from there it is 4" PVC 2' to the toilet, 6' to lavatory which has the only roof vent, another 6' to the washer, and into 1 500 gal septic tank, with 200' field line. The problem is when the tub, or washer is draining the toilet has began bubbling, logic tells me that my roof vent is clogged, so I get on the roof and blow through it, the toilet bubbles. To check it I disconnect the trap under the lavatory and blow again, air flows freely. Confused I disconnect my kitchen trap as well, and begin draining a full tub, the toilet still bubbles. How can it still bubble with free flowing vents up and down stream?
    rsimplicio Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Dec 20, 2006, 11:33 PM
    First off, congratulations on building your own house! That must be one heck of a sense of accomplishment. I'm envious!

If I'm reading this correctly:

1. Kitchen sink to tub is 2", bath to toilet is 4" (how big is the tub trap & drain?), toilet to lav is 4" (I'm assuming the lav trap, drain, and vent are less than 4", probably 2"), 4" to laundry (is this a standpipe or sink?), and 4" out to the septic tank.
    2. What size is the vent pipe out of the roof?
    3. I have a feeling the problem may be in that there is only 2' between the tub and toilet, and that you have it arranged tub-->toilet-->lav instead of tub-->lav-->toilet.
    4. Is there a reason you didn't vent the Kitchen sink and laundry separately from the bath? I'm just curious, not being critical. Every code I have read allows sharing the vent in the bath group. I'm also curious how you managed to build a house and get an occupancy certificate without any permits or inspections, but again, this is pure curiosity.
    5. Did anything happen within the last two months, e.g. change in plumbing, other issue with drain (slow, clog, septic tank issue, etc.)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bubbles [ 3 Answers ]

For months now I have been hearing an occasional bubble coming from my toilet. I assumed it was coming from the sewer system. There was not any problems with drainage. This morning I heard the noise again. This time the toilet , washer and bathroom sink came up into my tub. And nothing is draining...

Toilet Bubbles [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new toilet downstairs in the basement (below grade about 6ft) The toilet flushes very good, water pressure good, however when you first flush the toilet a 2 inch air bubble comes up after that no problems. Never a problem otherwise. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Bubbles in toilet [ 3 Answers ]

The toilet is bubbling, this appear to be an occasional problem, mainly in the mornings. Air bubbles rise and the toilet is slow to empty. Using other area in the house, kitchen sink and shower there are also air bubbles after the applianace is emptied. Can I fix this problem? Or is it a job for...

Bubbles in toilet bowl [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I just found this site and am looking forward to exploring it later, but right now I have this problem with the toilet. A large wad of paper was flushed down it and backed it up. I used the plunger and cleared the clog but now when I flush it, bubbles come up in the bowl part and it seems to...

Tiny bubbles accumulate in toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I've noticed tiny bubbles accumulating in two toilets (bowl not tank) placed directly above each other on the first and second floor. There has been a musty smell coming from the upstairs bathroom (full), no smell downstairs (half bath). These bubbles accumulate on the upper lip of the hole in the...

View more questions Search