Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mohi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Criminal law
    Hi,
    I came to now after 9 months that my son married through a registered marriage some one from another country and sponsoring her for Visa. He did not reveal it and they kept every thing secret. No one in the family knew about it.
    After I came to know I begged him over the phone to go through a traditional wedding which they both refused. I asked them to give her info and her parents contacts. They denied for that too.
    Finally I took the courage to go and visit him in spite of them refusing for my visit. They made me promise that I will not talk any thing about this.
    When I went for 3 days saty, on the 2nd day when I was looking at my e-mail, I saw some papers in the computer room. When I looked at them, I found some of his monthly statements and some of her papers with her and her parents information.
    I saw it and put it back. They knew that is aw that which they want to hide from me. And which I do not accept about her. I could not talk about it, because I do not want to talk anything at that time.
    I want to talk to my son about the things that I found from those papers.
    Can they say that I stole their information without their permisssion? Don't I have a right to protect my son from a starnger who moved into his house which I helped him to buy with my money? He is a simple person who believes every one. This lady walked into his life to use him for her Visa and to take his money. When I was talikng loudly to my son, she wanted to call the cops. This is the first day when I satyed with them. When my son went to work, she did not want to stay at home while I was there. She told him that she is afraid that I will hurt her.
    If I reveal what I found from those papers, can they sue me? Is that a criminal act?
    Yaro Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Hello Mohi I can understand your concern as a parent. The only advice
    I would give someone in your position is to let your son learn by trial
    And error you cannot do anything because they are adults if the lady
    Got married to your son for ulterior motives then her getting a visa
    Will be difficult even if she gets it her status could be changed if she
    Leaves your son or he has a change of mind meaning if he withdraws
    His sponsorship anyway good luck hopefully your son makes the right
    Decision.
    mohi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 02:01 PM
    But he is not talking to me and he does not want me to visit him. He is our only child. It was one year ago, I saw him for 2 days. I have to talk to him, but he is cutting all the realtion with me. That is painful, scary and hurting. He is presenting himself to them, as if he is alone. I cannot just wipe off all my feelings to him now. That is what making me feel like doiin something.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 2006, 02:14 PM
    First, you were invited into their house. If there was anything they didn't want you to see they should not have left it in the open. So there is no criminal act involved here. They cannot sue you for revealing you read those papers.

However, there is a moral and ethical issue. Morally and ethically, you cannot act on what you found out other than to discuss it with your son. If he refuses to discuss it, then you are out of options.

On the other hand, if you think an illegal act has been committed (i.e faking a marriage to obtain citizenship) you might feel it incumbent on you to report. I wouldn't however. Your son is old enough to make his own decisions and his own mistakes. If you want to continue to be a part of your son's life I'd leave this alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Criminal Law: Grand theft auto [ 9 Answers ]

My son stole a vehicle in Kentucky and traveled to Georgia were he was arrested. He is beign charged by Georgia for transportation of stolen property and currently is held on a 7,500.00 bond in a county jail for that charge; and is also awaiting extradition to Kentucky to face charges for grand...

It is not a criminal offence [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I would like to ask your idea about this" I called to the Treasure of the city of ottawa (the court), I asked my questions and a lady checked my offence number. It shows in their record "tress pass to property", she said it is not Criminal offence. If I reopen the case and finally I...

I'm not the criminal [ 4 Answers ]

Confused: Is there any forums available that could help me deal with my feelings on the way my twenty-four year old daughter has chosen to live her life? She has been in jail two times for shoplifting. Drugs are involved, she won't work (couldn't pass a drug test)! She has gone such an extreme...

Is your neighbor a criminal? [ 36 Answers ]

Hello: Do you think the government has any clue about what it does?? Recently, the state of Washington made playing online poker a felony. Yup – a class C felony, just like sex offenders. Now, I would like you to think about this for a minute. Here we have, let's say 1,000 ordinary...

Criminal Investigation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to become a crime scene investigator. I have a BA in sociology and I am currently going to school for anotherassociates degree in criminal justice and a certificate in forensic science. Does anyone know what I need to do to get this type of job? What type of classes I need? ANy types of...

View more questions Search