Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 05:04 AM
    Mounting meter base?
    Hi, Old aluminum siding on old house, would you recommend cutting away the siding where the meter base will mount? Or just mount it on marine grade plywood over the siding? Owner hopes to be able to redo the siding in the next few years. Thanks
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 09:20 AM
    Permanent is always desired,but if they are going to reside,

If I was the homeowner I would make it right from the get go.But if you are selling this? Letting them move the box in, well,that would require the inlet connecting pipe that houses the main wiring to be shortened,which will require the power to be shut off at the poll and most likely an electrician to do it(per code), up to you,pay now or the new owner pays later.
    spanky917 Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Aug 11, 2010, 12:30 PM

I'd cut away the siding... can't imagine the plywood would fit snugly any other way. Gaps behind the plywood (created by the old siding) would be ideal places for bugs & spiders... plus... wouldn't look very good... also... cloud become an issue with building inspector and/or utility company... depends on you local folks...
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 12:36 PM

Thanks guys, I was leaning that way, just wanted to hear it from someone else.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Aug 11, 2010, 04:35 PM

I'd mount it directly onto the existing siding without the plywood.

It would make the most sense for remodeling in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2010, 06:41 PM

I wouldn't mount directly on metal siding. Should a ground connection fail, it would (could) energize the siding. Very dangerous. Some location actually require that the metal siding itself be grounded to avoid such. Very common requirement in commercial applications where siding is metal... or 'red iron' frame.
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2010, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the input, I've decided to cut away the old siding and mount directly to wall, I'll install j-channel and that should hold it for a few years, or until the re-siding job money appears. Lol thank again

Aug 12, 2010, 05:35 AM

J-channel around the new opening is great idea... if you do it correctly it will prevent rain from getting behind the siding and rotting the wall. If it done incorrectly... it will funnel water behind the siding.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Aug 14, 2010, 03:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky917 View Post
    I wouldn't mount directly on metal siding. Should a ground connection fail, it would (could) energize the siding. Very dangerous. Some location actually require that the metal siding itself be grounded to avoid such. Very common requirement in commercial applications where siding is metal.... or 'red iron' frame.
    Nothing in the NEC that prohibits installing a meter base or a panel directly to metal siding or metal of any sort. Even in commercial applications

It is the preferred method in this case and is no more dangerous than mounting the service entrance conductors directly to the siding.

In fact. Mounting the meter base directly to the metal siding will 'bond' the siding to the grounding electrode system via the grounded conductor and actually make the installation safer.

It is done all the time without incident.

What you have been told about keeping the meter base isolated from metal siding is a myth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cable to use from meter base to breaker box [ 16 Answers ]

I am moving my current breaker box to the outside of my house. It will sit approimatly 1 foot from my meter base, I will need about 10 feet of cable to make the run (I think). I just need to know what kind of cable I need to use. And if I need to have it in a conduit. I have look in the NEC,...

PVC for service to meter base [ 1 Answers ]

Installing a 200A meter base for overhead service on a shed/workshop building. Could or should I use PVC 2" through roof eve to weather head? Will PVC be strong enough to support elec. Cable from pole?

Wire from manufactured home to meter base [ 1 Answers ]

What size wire do you use from the breaker box in manufactured home to the meter base. I was told there were 4 wires involved - I understand the 4th wire is a ground, but where does connect in breaker box and to the meter base?

Relocating underground conduit and meter base [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting a small addition on my house and have to move the service entrance underground conduit and meter base from one wall, around an outside corner to an adjacent wall. The meter base is about 2 feet from the corner of the two walls and I am hoping to dig down to the 3" schedule 40 conduit...

Meter Base with disconnect and A/C Breakers [ 3 Answers ]

My meter base will have an outside 200amp disconnect. It will also have three 30amp breakers to feed the A/C units located a few feet from the meter. There will also be a 200amp main panel located in the basement. My question is if my disconnect outside is a 200amp and I have three 30amp...

View more questions Search