Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 04:32 AM
    FTP using IE 8
    In IE7 I could drag and drop files to a website using a link like this:

ftp://upload:[email protected]/folder

After upgrading to IE8 it stopped working.

Do I need to
    a) change something on the server? or
    b) change the link? or
    c) both

I've surfed the web a bit and am seeing that with IE7 and earlier, people have no problems, but I'm finding lots of people with problems using IE8.

... or can anyone offer a better suggestion for ftp'ing files? I use this for an employee to send backup files to a storage folder on my website, so I need it to be simple for her, and I need to be able to set it up so that she does not have to enter username and password.

Thanks!
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 05:23 AM

Rick,
    I don't know if this will help or not since I use a standalone FTP program, but my wife had a similar problem with IE/FTP at work, and we solved it by going to:
    Internet Options->Advanced->Browsing->Enable FTP folder view and making sure that option is enabled.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    ...or can anyone offer a better suggestion for ftp'ing files? I use this for an employee to send backup files to a storage folder on my website, so I need it to be simple for her, and I need to be able to set it up so that she does not have to enter username and password.

Thanks!
    Sure can!

It's easy to learn, and if you set up the connection for her and save the credentials, all she needs to do is click the connect button and she's in. It's open source, so they have ports for Windows, Mac OSX and of course Linux.

FileZilla
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 06:19 AM
    For Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/684/
    Cassandra_IE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 10:53 AM
    Hi Rick,

First make sure that "Enable FTP folder view" is check, like WallyHelps suggested. If you're running a firewall, you'll also want to check the box next to "Use Passive FTP." Next, go to your FTP site by entering ftp:// in the address bar followed by the URL or IP address of your FTP site. You will be prompted for your user name and password, but once you get to the page, you should be able to save it as a Favorite so you won't need to enter it again. Finally, when you get to the site, go to the Page menu and select "Open FTP site in Windows Explorer."

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Cassandra
    IE Outreach Team

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dns and Ftp [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am doing a report on DNS and FTP... My report needs to be based on how it is used, how it interacts with TCP/IP, describe the most common client applications used with it, and where it fits in the OSI model. I believe that the only thing I'm missing is how it interacts with TCP/IP.. Can...

Ftp [ 3 Answers ]

HI, How can I find out free and reliable FTP sites.. I would like to upload some of my files to keep there. I have cuteFTP in my pc. Please advise. Akc

FTP Connection [ 7 Answers ]

I am not able to find a good solution on how to create an FTP connection between two computers. One of the computers is located in one City and the other is in the other city (WAN), but using Internet connection from the same ISP. I do not have an FTP server, nor I have any FTP facility within...

Ftp issue [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am using an ftp client which is free source that is zftp my question is that I have a static ip configured in my PC but the background of my exact public ip doesn't change . Now how can I NAT the ip so that I can translate the public ip which is running on back of my network to my static...

What is my FTP? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what my FTP is to up load a site map. Also How do I get an answer?

View more questions Search