Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frank Choe Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Disappearing Text Boxes in Excel Bar Chart
    I have been working on this large horizontal bar chart. It has about 100 items to show as bars of different sizes, and requires 100 text boxes for comments. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH TEXT BOXES BECAUSE THEY DISAPPEAR CONTINUALLY. If I click the area where a text box is, then it comes back. But I can not show all 100 text boxes at the same time because some of them always disappear until I click them back to re-appear. I need some advice on how to take care of this problem. I just feel that there is some wrong setup in my Excel. I went to Excel Help, but could not find anything useful.

Sincerely,

Frank.
    TomBarone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Frank:

I've had similar problems. Try either of the following:
    - Change the display settings of your monitor to a higher resolution, or
    - Shrink the chart

For me, the problem occurs when the chart gets too big. The display becomes unstable and text boxes start disappearing from the chart, usually from the outermost edges first. Your text boxes should still show up on a preview screen.

If you make the chart long enough, all of your text boxes will start disappearing when you click your mouse anywhere outside the chart area.

Good luck

Tom Barone

Feb 1, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Thanks, Tom

I was looking for the answer, and Microsoft Helpdesk sent me to talk to someone in India, which was not too much of help. I really appreciate your response.

You stated, "Change the display settings of your monitor to a higher resolution." How do I do this? Please let me know.

Making the chart size smaller would make it difficult to read.

I would appreciate your response.

By the way, I think Microsoft should fix this problem but they do not because not enough people are complaining about this problem.

Thanks again.

Frank.
    TomBarone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Hi Frank. Changing the resolution is easy.

Use the [START] button and open up [CONTROL PANEL]. Once the control panel opens, to to [DISPLAY]. Select the "Settings tab" from the window.

The current resolution will show on the lower left corner of the screen. To increase the resolution, slide the bar to the right.

Tom

Feb 1, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Hi Tom,
    Thanks for providing the answer. I checked and it shows already at the max. resolution.
    I GUESS I am stuck with what I got.

This appears to be matter with the memory MS allowed for Excel chart display.

Thanks again.

Frank.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Maybe you shouldn't put the comments on the chart itself. How about a legend UNDER the chart that has the explanatory text

Feb 1, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Hi Scott,
    Are you proposing to put 100 legend items in a bar chart? This may not be impossible to do, but I got to think about this. I will let you know after I try. Some of the problem might be the content for each of the 100 text boxes is several lines. However, this is a new angle. I will try and let you know. I still think that the best way is for MS to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Frank
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2007, 04:11 PM
    No I meant put them in the spreadsheet under the chart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel line chart - no lines [ 9 Answers ]

I made an excel line chart for church attendance on Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Thursday night. The markers are there to show the attendance, but there are no connecting lines even though I chose line chart. I have made a line chart before and it did have the lines. Does anyone know why...

Excel line chart with "confidence band" [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this forum and need help with a line chart in Excel. I have 40 years of annual data, each expressed as a mean with a confidence interval (CI) having an upper limit (UL) and a lower limit (LL). Instead of plotting the data using error bars to show the CI, I wanted to plot 3...

How to export database of chart prepared in powerpoint to excel worksheet [ 1 Answers ]

I have prepared one chart in powerpoint using excel worksheet. The worksheet was updated in powerpoint and no of slides of powerpoint were prepared. Now I want to import these charts in excel worksheet. I need help to perform this function.

Annoying Internet Bar over the Task Bar [ 1 Answers ]

My grandson has messed around with my computer and an annoying Bar now sits over the Task bar when on the internet. To the extreme left is Internet Explorer logo e] followed by DONE. To the extreme right is a Blue Globe followed by INTERNET. If a URL is clicked the bar then shows :...

Display text vertically and not horizontally in 1 cell (Excel) [ 2 Answers ]

How would you display a line of text to show vertically after each text in one cell? For example: Total Activity Cost And not Total Activity Cost (in one cell)? Thank you in advance.

View more questions Search