Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mistergreentree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 01:25 PM
    Noises in ceiling in the middle of the night
    My wife and I have been hearing scratching noises in the middle of the night that sound like they are above the drywall ceiling. We live in northern Indiana in a two story house on a partial basement. I have checked the attics and don't see any signs of anything. I did get on the roof and saw that one of the soffit panels was bent down with what looked like dirt on the roof leading to it. I patched that several weeks ago and don't see any signs of activity. We still hear noises. I put poison in the attic a week ago and we still hear noises.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Dec 23, 2006, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mistergreentree
    My wife and I have been hearing scratching noises in the middle of the night that sound like they are above the drywall ceiling. We live in northern Indiana in a two story house on a partial basement. I have checked the attics and don't see any signs of anything. I did get on the roof and saw that one of the soffit panels was bent down with what looked like dirt on the roof leading to it. I patched that several weeks ago and don't see any signs of activity. We still hear noises. I put poison in the attic a week ago and we still hear noises.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    This time of year (when the weather turns cold) lots of critters come inside for the warmth. I've found that "scratching" sounds are usually rodents. Some things that should be looked at are: 1) Are there any trees or shrubs close to or touching the house near the roof that would enable an animal to get access to that area... some of those critters are real resourceful. 2) is there any evidence of droppings in the area where the noise is coming from? 3) Can you smell anything unusual in the attic area?

The area where you live may help to identify the "culprit". Finding evidence of an infestation will give you a clue for the proper treatment.
    cjcdallas Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Feb 7, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Could be either squirrels, bats or mice.. Hard to tell unless you see one or can verify the "sign" of the critter

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Caught in the middle [ 30 Answers ]

I have a friend who is a single mother of 3. She is a wonderful lady, super mom, and loving friend. However, she is extremely hung up on one of my husband's friends. My husband's friend James just got out of a rather rocky marriage, and is not really into having a relationship. However, a couple...

Caught in the middle... [ 3 Answers ]

I fell in love with my best friend of 6 years and 1 year ago we finally admitted our love for each other. He dated another girl before me and broke up with her when he realized he loved me instead. I was dating a mutual friend of ours at the time, but broke up with him around the same time. The guy...

Middle Name Crisis [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone... sorry I've been MIA. But I'm in a major delimma.. I can't for the life of me find a good middle name. We are having a baby girl and we dicided to name her Emma, but we simply can't find a good middle name, I looked at hundreds of websites but just can't find that one name that fits...

Strange Noises! [ 3 Answers ]

I am running windows xp and suddenly it seems to be going very slowly and also there is a strange noise - like it loses power is the only way to explain it - like a vehicle about to stall! I have run AVG anti virus, ad-aware, spybot, ccleaner and have done a defrag - what else can I do to stop...

View more questions Search