Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jan100 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2010, 12:55 PM
    About to buy a laptop and need suggestions
    Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a laptop, but I'm nearly computer illiterate and need some suggestions on what to look for when researching for a laptop.

I have no idea how much memory I need nor can I "read" what all the numbers translate into. :(

I'm a liberal arts major, so I usually use a lot of word document and save a lot of PDF files. I do want a computer that can easily pick up wireless connection and has a good, sturdy hard drive.

Some of my friends have suggested Apple, but it's really hard for me to adjust when I am just getting used to PC.

I'm looking for a 14 inch, lightweight computer that I can carry anywhere and write my papers.

As of now, I am thinking about Toshiba and Samsung. What do you guys think? Any specs I need to look into? Really lost here.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2010, 01:01 PM

AMD Trurion dual core or Intel Core 2 Duo or i3 processor. 3 preferably 4 gigs of RAM, 320 or larger hard drive.

I would recommend HP over Samsung and slightly over Toshiba.

Aug 10, 2010, 01:08 PM

I know this is a really stupid question, but what is the main difference between AMD Trurion dual core, intel core 2 anf i3 processor? And why is it that there are more intele core 2 duo in computers these days?

Just curious & not sure what to look for

Aug 10, 2010, 01:16 PM

So far, I see that the best reviews that I have found are for HP and Toshiba. Hmmmm...

Aug 10, 2010, 01:33 PM

The differences are negligible. The i3 series is the newest and gives slightly better performance then the Trurion. But unless you are doing benchmarks testing, you won't be able to tell the difference. The Core 2 Duo line is Intel's previous processor line and performance is roughly comparable to the AMD's.

The AMDs tend to have better graphics performance, but that doesn't seem to be an issue with your needs.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 12:56 PM

I think the first question when trying to figure things out is how much were you planning on spending? That and what your going to do with it are the 2 base points to start from.

Aug 11, 2010, 03:02 PM

I'm thinking around 700-800 in price range. A laptop that is easy to use and can replace my desktop. Also, will not be playing games or use any major graphics, except for ppt presentations and stuff related to writing a dissertation.

Aug 11, 2010, 03:08 PM

That price range should get you anything you want.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 03:13 PM

Here are 2 places that I have used to find bargins on electronics. If you look some are package deals. Your pricing is realistic.

TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    That price range should get you anything you want.
    Here is a good one ;)

Gateway NV53A36u LX.WMK02.002 Laptop PC- AMD Phenom II Triple Core N830, 2.1GHz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6 HD Widescreen Ultrabright TFT LCD Display, ATI Radeon HD 5650, Windows 7 Home Premium at TigerDirect.com BL
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 03:45 PM

The last 3 laptops I bought for family and friends have all been low-cost Acer laptops. Here's a link to the last one I bought at... get this... WALMART... for $399.99

Acer Laptop 17.3'' Aspire With Windows 7 Home Premium Edition - Walmart.com

Their regular instore price is $460 and the huge screen is a major plus. It is very light, full-sized keyboard, plenty of memory and hard drive space, builtin Wifi and webcam.

There's no need to spend $800 on a laptop anymore, this kind of power/price point are there to be had. Buy two of these for the same money!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2010, 07:34 PM

I'm laptop shopping too. Thinking of the Toshiba Satellite A665-S6057. Definitely want to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro. It's a 64 bit OS.

I heard that there are issues wit some processors whether they will support Pro. Toshiba was less than helpful. They were less than helpful when I asked how long their laptops are supported as well.

They said no Take-apart guides are available. Their parts depot said that I needed to talk to Toshiba. They only sell parts.

HP, at least makes it available for a short time. Parts, forget it, after about 3 years. HP has been very helpful in solving problems when in warranty. After the warranty is up, no so.

Yep, I am interested in XP emulation mode and unsure whether 64 bit Win 7 Pro will support XP 32 bit apps. Anything that directly interfaces with the hardware is going to be an issue. USB ports should be fine. There is apparently some issues with the graphics processor and XP mode as well. There was some mention that the processor must support processor virualization and said that AMD processor were less likely to support it AND no clean way to tell. The manufacturer has to tell you.

This one is at CompUSA/Circuit City for ~$820. Need a windows upgrade to Pro and probably an extra year warranty.

Any comments?
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS View Post
    I'm laptop shopping too. Thinking of the Toshiba Satelite A665-S6057. Definately want to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro. It's a 64 bit OS.

I heard that there are issues wit some processors whether they will support Pro. Toshiba was less than helpful. They were less than helpful when I asked how long thier laptops are supported as well.

They said no Take-apart guides are available. Their parts depot said that I needed to talk to Toshiba. They only sell parts.

HP, at least makes it available for a short time. Parts, forget it, after about 3 years. HP has been very helpful in solving problems when in warranty. After the warranty is up, no so.

Yep, I am interested in XP emulation mode and unsure whether 64 bit Win 7 Pro will support XP 32 bit apps. Anything that directly interfaces with the hardware is going to be an issue. USB ports should be fine. There is apparently some issues with the graphics processor and XP mode as well. There was some mention that the processor must support processor virualization and said that AMD processor were less likely to support it AND no clean way to tell. The manufacturer has to tell you.

This one is at CompUSA/Circuit City for ~$820. Need a windows upgrade to Pro and probably an extra year warranty.

Any comments?
    It looks to have everything that your looking for.
    Toshiba Satellite A665-S6057 - ProductWiki unbiased product reviews

Intel® Core? i5-450M Processor (3M cache, 2.40 GHz) with SPEC Code(s) SLBTZ

But Im not sure what you need a virtual XP for instead of running dual boot?
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 12:19 PM

That's what I figured.
    Basically it's missing Bluetooth and a Fax modem.

One of the models up does Blue Ray and 3D. Don't think I want to go that far.

What are some methods of doing dual or triple boot?
    Win 7, Xp. Linix?

Aug 12, 2010, 01:09 PM

Doing a dual or multi boot, especially with a mix of Windows and non-Windows OSes is better done with a tool like System Commander.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2010, 08:53 PM

This Laptop will get you what you want. It meets your needs, and also your price range. It's a toshiba, also per request.

There may be other places online or other stores that have a better deal.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 09:02 PM

Best Buy has crummy warranty support.

Poor quality non manufacturer parts (e.g. batteries and chargers)

They say if you have to send the laptop away it will come back blank.

Personal experience. I can't live with that.
    happy.face Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 09:32 AM

Jan,

By the things you want to do you your computer. You could buy the cheapest one, it would work for you.

But if I were you I would buy a Apple macbook.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to buy a new laptop [ 1 Answers ]

Hi @ all. I am a student and my profession is mechanical engeering. I need a new laptop but I'm not sure which model to buy. We study programms like AutoCAD... etc, so what model and performance wolud be the best? Thanks!

Suggestions ! I need to buy the best muscara for straight eyelashes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I need some help finding the right mascara for my eyes, unfortunately I wasn't blessed with long curly eyelashes, and now I'm seeking the "perfect mascara". (if there's one... ) by the way... I have very STRAIGHT eyelashes that need a nice curl :c I heard these three mascaras are suppose...

Need to buy a laptop, which one? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey everyone! So I decided it's time for me to get a laptop and I was wondering if anyone had any advise on some good ones to get. I have $600 to spend, I know that's not much, but I don't really need it for hard core computer stuff, just need a laptop for my CPA class and for when I move out...

Where to buy pressure sensitive veneer suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Galveston and want to buy pressure sensitive veneer for cabinet refacing. We have Lowe's and Home Depot. I can't find it there. I searched online and found some sources but I really want to look at the stuff in person. What type of store do I need to go to? Also any advice on...

Which laptop should I buy? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to buy a new laptop. I’m currently using a Dell Inspiron 600m that I have had for about 4 years. I’m starting to have a lot of problems with it (the power cord must be plugged into the power jack at just the right angle for it to work and the jack where you plug in the network cable is...

View more questions Search