Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retailguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 11:19 AM
    Hippa
    I recently went out on FMLA medical leave from my present place of employment, which is a retail establishment. I confidentially informed my supervisor of my medical condition, asking her to keep it confidential. I have since learned that 1 week after I went out on leave, she was sharing my medical condition with third party vendors that we do business with. Is this a viaolation of my rights under HIPPA?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 11:33 AM

HIPAA applies to health care/patient privacy.

I don't see a violation of HIPAA - but does your company have a union, employment contract, that she breached?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2010, 05:20 AM

Correct, you volunteered the info to her. She is not your health care provider. So there is no HIPAA involvement. However, this is a breach of ethics at the very least. I would discuss this with your HR department.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 05:21 AM

HIPAA is basically doctor/patient privilege. Since your manager is not your doctor or nurse, no violation was committed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa [ 2 Answers ]

I am a nursing student in a State Nursing Program in North Dakota. I was working independently on my own time and place of employment, not associated with the school when the clinical instructor of this program who was on site with another student overheard in nurse's report information pertaining...

Hippa violation? [ 2 Answers ]

My employer is looking for a new health insurance company for all employees. The insurance companies are asking for medical information on each employee. Does the employer have the right to receive the information and then forward it to the insurance company? This seems like a violation a ritht to...

Is this a Hippa violation? [ 6 Answers ]

I was injured on the job as a police officer. I have had to see the police departments physician several times over the last 2 years. He is now discussing my medical diagnosis with several members of my police department. The last time he examined me he also asked a police command officer to...

Hippa violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I was recently discharged last month from a medical center and was brought in the ER for psych reasons. The person who registered me according to the other staff, Called his cousin my former supervisor who notified my manager. I was told by admitting Staff there that during the 24hrs there, the...

View more questions Search