Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shpft Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 09:43 AM
    Lawn tractor problems
    My old craftsman lawn tractor cranks just fine but when I let off the clutch it sputters and dies. As long as the clutch is down its fine. As soon as it gets any resistance its just dies. Any suggestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 11:07 AM

I assume you mean the engine runs and not just cranks, right? This is most frequently caused by a faulty safety switch. Try http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...0mower%20parts to get a manual and then check all of the switches for correct operation. The seat switch is usually the first to break.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 10, 2010, 11:08 AM
    Hi! shpft, welcome to AMHD :)

Quote Originally Posted by shpft View Post
    my old craftsman lawn tractor cranks just fine but when i let off the clutch it sputters and dies. As long as the clutch is down its fine. as soon as it gets any resistance its just dies. Any suggestions?
    How old is it?
    Not sure what year, but Sears has safety switches on their clutches.
    You could have a bad relay.

Do you have a manual? You can look up the electrical schematic, and see what is hooked up to the schaft, then isolate it by runnning a jumper at the plug.
    Go up sit on your tractor and see if it will keep running when you let the clutch out. If it does then you will need a new switch or relay.

Do not forget to pull the jumper, and recconect the switch or relay your replacing.

No manual? Get the number from the tractor. Then go to this site:
    managemylife.com/owner_manuals/
    Enter your # in the search box and follow the prompts.

Here's what mine looks like:
    Attached Images

Aug 10, 2010, 11:56 AM
    Thanks for the guidance. The tractor is a 1996 and Im hoping to get through one more season. Motor is fine, deck is about shot. I've had the seat switch disconnected for years. Is there a way to by pass the clutch switch or is that a bad idea?

Aug 10, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shpft View Post
    Thanks for the guidance. The tractor is a 1996 and Im hoping to get thru one more season. Motor is fine, deck is about shot. I've had the seat switch disconnected for years. Is there a way to by pass the clutch switch or is that a bad idea?
    You could by-pass it just like you did for the seat.
    That is your call.

BUT......It is always a bad idea to dis-able any safety features one's power tools may have.

Just look at A-Rod the other day when he took his eye's off playing third base during batting practice.
    He's lucky he only got hit in the shin. That line drive could have hit him in the head.

One never knows when the Good Lord is going to punch your ticket, either for a short haul or the final ride...

Aug 10, 2010, 12:23 PM
    Your right. Disconnecting the seat switch is a bit safer than the clutch switch. I just don't know where that sucker is. Ill get the schematic on line and track it down.
    I assume that will be the problem. Motor runs too good to be a fuel problem.

Aug 10, 2010, 02:03 PM
    If yours is anything like mine the starter relay, and another switch below the relay are mounted on the inner driver's right console, under the battery tray.

That other switch only has a two prong female connector, pull that out, and jumper the connector to test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray Lawn Tractor problems with belt replacement [ 4 Answers ]

I was wonder if I need to remove a part to replace the belt on my Murray Lawn Tractor. The model number is 42515X92B or the part number is 37X88. Thanks for help in advance

Sears lawn tractor starting problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Sears 42 inch lawn tractor. Replaced a dead battery. Now when I turn the key to start I hear a whining noise and engine does not turn over. Any suggestions on a FIX?

Lawn tractor problems/Husqvarna model#LOGTH2448T [ 2 Answers ]

Have two issues: 1. Battery won't stay/hold a charge. What recharges the battery? 2. While running with PTO engaged the blades quit cutting. Engine runs fine. Thanks-RTF

Were is oil filter on 2005 mtd lawn tractor, hydrostatic lawn tractor [ 1 Answers ]

Were is the oil filter located on a mtd hydrostatic lawn tractor.

Problems with John Deere LT190 lawn tractor [ 12 Answers ]

I am having problems with my just under 2 year old lawn tractor. It works fine with the mower attachment. But just before Xmas 2006 the problem started, when blowing snow with the snow blower attachment that I just purchased early spring 2006 and only used a couple of times with no problems....

View more questions Search