Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Aug 10, 2010, 08:39 AM
    Will a petstore take a hampster if my mom doesn't want him?
    Hello everyone!

My mom... well my brother has 3 hampsters. 2 girls and 1 boy. The boy got one of the girls pregnant. My mom said one day she went into my brothers room and saw a little baby in the cage with the hampsters and then the next day she went back into his room and the baby was gone! She said that the hampsters ate him... So sad!

So now, my mom wants to know if Petsmart or any other pet store will take a hampster. She wants to get rid of the boy so he can get the girls pregnant again. I don't think that any pet stores is going to take anyone's pet... I thought she would do better off going to the Humane Society.

What do you guys think?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 08:41 AM

No, nobody is going to take back a used hamster.

Try your local human society.

Or keep them in separate cages.

I'm a little confused - what did you think would happen with a male and two female hamsters in the same cage?

Aug 10, 2010, 08:45 AM

@ Judy - Yeah that's what I was telling her. Hey, don't ask me. I already knew that was going to happen. When I went to my moms house I saw the boy hampster humping on his sister. So I already knew it was going happen. I told my mom to take the hampster back to the pet store like they told her the first time... when they were first born. The lady at Petsmart told her to bring them in after 6 weeks, but she didn't. I got one for myself but she was left with 3. And I told her if she couldn't sell them, to take them to the Humane Society.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 10:31 AM

I thought hamsters were supposed to be kept alone no matter what the sex?

Pet stores only take baby animals usually because they are easy to sell. You could always put up 'free to good home' posters at local shops.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 10:47 AM

I thought they killed each other for sport but don't really know.

I also am not certain that OP's family didn't think this wasn't a problem because the hamsters were brother and sister - doesn't matter. These are animals.

Aug 10, 2010, 12:12 PM

That's a good idea too Shazz. I've told her there's craigslist, she could ask her friends etc. I don't know what she been waiting on.

Yeah I thought hampsters were supposed to be in cages alone too. But 1 of the pet stores around here (not the one I go to :-)) got like 10 hampster all in the same cage... rats too.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 02:12 PM

It depends on the breed of the hamster whether they can be kept together or separated.

Syrian hamsters (the teddy bear breeds) should never be kept together. They are solitary animals and do not like to be with other hamsters, or any other animal. They barely tolerate the humans they live with, but another hamster, you're asking for a fight to the death.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 02:23 PM

Craigslist in MY area, at least, is not a very good idea - all sorts of screwballs buy, torture, kill, who knows what, small animals. Call an animal shelter.

You don't read about the good people on Craigslist, I will add. I'm sure they are out there. I just don't hear about them.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 07:08 PM

Why not find another used cage? And separate?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 07:18 PM

Many of the pet stores , at least here in Atlanta, have been known to let you leave your small animal in a cage and they will give it away to someone coming in. I have seen many types of animals in some of them. *** may be against their rules but I have seen them.

Also the humane society normally takes most types of animals.

As for two in cage, I have to males ( they are brothers) and they are fine, but then I have a cage so large they have lots of levels, several large cage areas on various levels and more.
    *** OK, way too much time on my hands playing with hamsters

Aug 12, 2010, 08:22 AM

She found someone to take the hampster :-)

As for you guys that said to "get another cage for the hampster", I've told my mom that. She didn't want to spend the money on one. Cause honestly, she doesn't like hampster. My brother wanted one, so she got it for him.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 09:46 AM

That's great news! Goodluck hammy in your new home!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What's a good name for a hampster? [ 42 Answers ]

I'm getting a hampster this weekend and I was tryna think of hampster names. What u guys think?

Working at a petstore to make a difference? [ 26 Answers ]

I don't know if this is in the right section, but here I go anyway... I've been looking for a job I would truly enjoy, I'm only 15 (almost 16) and have done the whole fast food and clothing retail, and well it's just not my thing. I want to apply at a local pet store, and have gone to all of them...

Mom doesn't aprove? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay,so I have been going out with a guy.Hes african american.So I told my mom.and she said that white boys won't want to go out with me and that my friends parent won't want them to hangout with me.People are saying I shouldn't have went out with him,but I like him a lot.Isnt that all that...

Mom doesn't like boyfriend.what to do! [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 19 turning 20 and I was with my boyfriend for a year and a half before we decided to call it quits. Our relationship was a little complicated. We met at college and didn't live too far from each other while being at home. My boyfriend always respected my parents but my mom just didn't like him....

Mom doesn't like boyfriend [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 19, my boyfriend and I have been together for almost a year and are deeply in love... my mom doesn't get to really see my relationship since we both go away to school together and its where we met. He comes from a very broken up family, mother a raging alcoholic, father a jerk and was abused...

View more questions Search