Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scamper7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 07:51 AM
    We just had a 3 PC tub enclosure (horizontal pieces) installed. Why the squeaking?
    We just had a 3 piece tub unit installed. Came in 3 horizontal pieces. The walls are squeaking badly. The installers said this is normal and could take up to 6 months to settle down. Is this true?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 11:22 AM

Hi scamper...

This doesn't sound typical... especially the 6 months line of bull... ;)

I would need to know the name brand to tell you much more. Some manufacturers require that the tub be set into a bedding substrate of some kind (reduces squeeks)... others void warranty if anything is used.

The walls squeeking also sounds odd... never heard of walls squeeking...

See if you can get us a name brand and we'll tell you more... OK?

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 10, 2010, 11:48 AM

The squeaky walls sound like bare plastic rubbing together. It makes me wonder if there's been any grout or caulk on the joints.
    The squeaky tub floor sounds like it was never bedded in. Does the tub floor "give and flex" a bit when you step into it?
    All in all it sure sounds like you have issues with the installation.
    the installers said this is normal and could take up to 6 months to settle down. Is this true?
    I think the installer was blowing smoke up your skirt and just wanted to get out of your house. Call his company and ask them to send someone out to check his work. Let me know what they said. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub enclosure repair [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, We just purchased a home that was gut renovated about 5 years ago. Both bathrooms have either acrylic or fiberglass tubs with enclosures. Is there a way to tell whether they are acrylic or fiberglass? We removed glass doors that were, in our opinion, poorly installed and ugly. We now have...

New tub/shower enclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a tub/shower combo with a liner (must be 25+ years old). I'm going to rip everything out and install tile, new shower and tub faucet and new rough in valve. I'm just looking for some expert advice or tips on how I should go about doing everything. I figure do my due diligence...

Building a tub deck and shower enclosure [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, I am not sure if this s/b in this section or in plumbing, so I will post it in both. We are adding a whirlpool tub to our bathroom addition and it requires a tub deck. The exterior walls are all framed and insulated (Icynene). Should I rock the walls first and then build the...

View more questions Search