Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oldsman Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 07:07 AM
    How do I configure a main and two slave routers on the same network?
    I have a three router network, one main and two slaves how do I configure them so I can see ALL devices and computers connected without having to disconnect from this router and connect to that router to see what is connected or to print?
    Here is my setup

Cable modem to linksys wrt120n, wrt120n to linksys befw11s4, befw11s4 to netger wgr614.

Ethernet cable goes from modem to internet port on 120n, ethernet cable goes from port 1 of wrt120n to internet port of befw11s4, ethernet cable from port 1 of befw11s4 to port 1 of the netgear router. So

192.168.1.1 wrt120n
    192.168.2.1 befw11s4
    192.168.3.1 wgr614

I have internet connectivity on all three of them but say I am connected to the 120n and need to print something, I have to dc from the 120n and connect to the wgr614 which is the router my desktop is physically connected to, to print, or to see what else is connected.

I have two laptops, one desktop, an xbox360 and a wii all in the same house and all need to be on the same network block.

How do I accomplish this?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 10, 2010, 07:12 AM
    Why are you using THREE routers for this when only ONE is needed?
    If you need to extend the network then simple switches would make more sense.

Aug 10, 2010, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Why are you using THREE routers for this when only ONE is needed ??
    If you need to extend the network then simple switches would make more sense.
    Because I already have the routers and have had them for about six months.
    I know this can be done, I spoke with linksys yesterday and they advised me to simply disable the dhcp on the two slave routers and that would take care of it, but as soon as I did that the routers became unaccessable.
    I know switches would be the easiest answer but why spend more money on switches when I have routers that can do the same thing.
    BossMan

Aug 10, 2010, 07:37 AM
    I only mentioned using switches if distance is an issue, if not then simply use ONE router.
    I assume one of them has an inbuilt switch which can be used for this purpose.

Why make things more complex for yourself when it's not needed ?

Disabling DHCP on the "slaves" would mean all the routers would have to be part of the SAME subnet, so 192.168.1.x rather than your current, complex, arrangement.

Personally I would connect the laptops wirelessly and the others on ethernet. Then you only need to use ONE router.

Aug 10, 2010, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    I only mentioned using switches if distance is an issue, if not then simply use ONE router.
    I assume one of them has an inbuilt switch which can be used for this purpose.

Why make things more complex for yourself when it's not needed ?
    As stated in the original question, I use three routers purely for coverage over my entire home, I live in a fairly large house (its actually two houses in one) two different sides of the house both with full basements. So I have my main router in the back bedroom of the main part of the house, secondary router in the kitchen mainly so I didn't have to run a gazillion feef of cable, and the third router on the far side of the house physically connected to my desktop PC which holds my usb printers.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 07:54 AM
    It sounds as though you need to use the two other routers as Access Points or repeaters

Maybe these links may help:
    Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point Wireless Networking Forum FAQ - dslreports.com
    Quick Guide to Configure Wireless Router as Access Point
    Configuring an Access Point as a Wireless Repeater
    BossMan

Aug 10, 2010, 08:11 AM
    OK makes more sense now, with the distances issues.
    Good links from NK should help what your trying to do.
    As mentioned they should ALL be on the same subnet, so ONLY the primary Router does the DHCP function.

Aug 17, 2010, 06:56 PM

Works beautiful now only thing that wasn't mentioned here was the requirement of a crossover cable instead of a straight through, did some re working the cat5 ends to make them crossover cables between routers, plugged them all in and poof works great now

Thanks for the pages listed above

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardware/Software needed to configure a 3-computer network? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I just need to know the necessary components needed to configure a network for three desktops without using a HUB/Switch.. Can I just use a router? What other components are neede if so?

Configure Printer in Lan (Network) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, " How to Configure any Printer in Network(LAN) and One or more" Give me the answer quick. Thanking You

Configure a wireless router to an already network [ 1 Answers ]

L have a wireless LAN internet broadband router without USB port and want to joint it to an already setup wireless network to boost it how do l use it

Conecting 2 wireless routers to a single network [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a adsl connection which is through a wired adsl modem. Currently I have set this adsl modem as the DHCP server and connected my wireless router (Linksys WRH-54G)to it using the LAN port of the wireless router. Doing this I am able to access internet through other laptops or wireless...

How Do I Configure A Wireless Network? [ 1 Answers ]

I need help on how to configure 4 computers for a wireless network... I have a wireless router, wireless network card and a modem.. please I need it urgently what are the procedures involved.. thankssssssssss for your anticipated help

View more questions Search