Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trese76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 08:50 AM
    Potential employer checked my references, now what?
    I had a job interview about two weeks ago. At the time, I was told that they wanted someone to start right away. My job interview went Great and they actually started checking my references the next day! Well, I didn't know it at the time, but they were unable to immediately reach one of my references (he was out of the office). However, last week (about a week after the interview) she called me and asked me to call him. I did, and t hey were able to reach him the next day (last Tuesday August 3rd). I then followed-up on Thursday and contacted the manager that interviewed me, and expressed continued interest in the position. I was told at that time, "I did everything I needed to do and sent the information to HR". What exactly does this mean? I am fearful that it means I did not get the position as the manager did not clearly state otherwise. Please advise. What would HR need to do with the information at this time?
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 08:08 AM

Don't fret. It doesn't mean you will or will not get the job. You're going to have to be patient a little longer.

In most companies the manager can't tell you. Human Resources have the final call, as they have legal employees percentages that have to be maintained. In other words they may have to maintain a certain percentage of females, varying races, etc.
    longshark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2010, 08:13 AM
    I am in the same situation as you, had an interview about 3 weeks ago and had the references called the next day. I was told to wait but still no word from them. Have you heard anything yet?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2010, 08:27 AM

Hello long:

I don't know if you're answering, or asking...

In any case, I'm going to answer you. 3 weeks is too long to wait to hear. I would have called them a day or two after the interview. To make SURE, call them Monday morning, but don't get your hopes up.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2010, 08:42 AM

Every company is different, where I work, hiring someone right away is a 4 to 6 week process to go though all of the HR requirements. And then if they have to give notice, it can take up to 8 weeks for us to get a new person actually working if we "really need someone"

But yes, call and follow up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employment References [ 1 Answers ]

Can an employer in the state of Ohio give an employee a bad reference? Is there anyway to find out if they are?

Employer contacted personal references [ 8 Answers ]

Is it illegal for a previous employer to call my professional references to inform them of an action that I had taken informing them that maybe I wasn't such a good employment reference?

Can previous employer give you bad references ? [ 5 Answers ]

Its been a month since I quit my job because I had a special issue with the company When they where talking to me they told me that they are going to put me on suspension And it raised a red flag on me that it would end in termination as the days go by So I told them that I'm giving them a...

Can potential employer find out about past job and disability? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for a company from 9/07-11/07 then went on disability. I am still employed there, however, do not plan on going back due to my disability (since 12/07)and since have moved away. I am still disabled, but need to find another job ASAP as my disability ran out. My question is: I want...

Can potential employer find out about disability and current/past job? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for a company from 9/07-12/07 then went on disability. I am still employed there, however, do not plan on going back due to my disability and since have moved away. I am still disabled, but need to find another job ASAP as my disability ran out. My question is: I want to apply for a...

View more questions Search