Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curley1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 07:34 PM
    12.5 hp briggs engine
    I am replacing the flywheel ring gear and starter gear on a 12.5 hp Briggs--Stratton engine from the 1990's. Do I loosen the flywheel bolt clockwise or counterclockwise?
    Larry
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 9, 2010, 08:22 AM
    Hi! curley1, welcome to AMHD :)
    Quote Originally Posted by curley1 View Post
    I am replacing the flywheel ring gear and starter gear on a 12.5 hp Briggs--Stratton engine from the 1990's. Do I loosen the flywheel bolt clockwise or counterclockwise?
    Larry
    Even on their site they don't tell you. Scroll down to; B&S - Removing The Flywheel, But in #3 (image B) , it shows the mechanic pulling on the flywheel holder, and pushing on the socket wrench.

That would mean counter-clockwise.
    Image borrowed from B&S

If you can afford not to use the socket extension do not, as it will increase the possibility of the socket slipping off the flywheel nut, and rounding off the nut or busting your knuckles. If you have to try to use a shorter one or a deeper socket.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2006 briggs & stratton 18.5 engine can only move engine 1/4 turn & it stops [ 4 Answers ]

2006 craftsman briggs & stratton 18.5 engine ran fine , I shut off for 10 min coould not get it started again. Starter is good, oil level is good. Took cover off top of engine can only move engine 1/4 turn & it stops like it is jamed on something. The machine has very few hours of use & was always...

Briggs engine [ 1 Answers ]

Hello people do anyone know the stem clearance of valve on a 14.5 briggs engine. Model 287707 thanks grrtwo

Engine switch V twin briggs for Briggs intek ohc [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to exchange a 19 hp V Twin into a Craftsman lt 2000 mower. It was originally equipped with a 22 hp Intek V OHC. I am wondering how different the wiring is going to be. Also is this possible? The 19 HP twin is Model 42A777 Type 1236 01. The Intek is Model 407777 Type 0174 E1 Thank...

Briggs engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a briggs 23hp on my mower. Many times when I try to start,it tries but doesn't. If I turn engine bach 1/4 turn by had at fan cover it starts fine. The battery is new and fully charged. What could cause this? Thanks

12 HP Briggs engine [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 HP briggs and stratton engine that will start when choked and then only run while between choke and full throttle position. I have cleaned carb. And checked fuel supply. Any Suggestions?

View more questions Search