Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Outoftime44 Posts: 151, Reputation: 5

Aug 10, 2010, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vanheart View Post
    Someone told me when I was feeling that way was:

Your self-esteem is yours not hers. So true.

Im glad you understand that this was toxic and made you feel bad.

With time & work you will feel better, get yourself back.
    To be one that is stronger & more aware.

Try not to dwell on the past. Just use the things you are learning to your advantage.

BTW, shes no "best friend" Never was.
    Friends love unconditionally.
    You are absolutely right... even as she put the screws in me after being sent home via train, I still cared for her, supported her, offered her kind words. She sent some e-mail "I will always love you, but can't live with it" etc etc. I wish we could have had a normal relationship because we both tried to do it right, but couldn't... it was clear where this was going on.

I know I am better off, but voices in my head keep telling me I lost something extraodinary...
    MyBrainIsMyDrug Posts: 51, Reputation: 26

Aug 10, 2010, 03:26 PM

It sounds to me like you developed a dependency with each other, I came from a similar type of relationship... Only I found while in the relationship she was more clingy and dependent towards me and then when we broke up I was more so... I guess its dealing with loss of a constant in your life that you deeply cared for. Like your relationship, mine was unhealthy/addictive as well, constant fighting/disagreeing/arguing (it was like a daily part of our lives with each other)... There was feelings there, the "I love you so much" and so on... which is great and fine, but unfortunately emotions/feelings don't create a functional relationship... Like you, when she broke up with me... she was became really cold and even after all the crap I endured I spoke nicely to her and mentioned about being friends and she just acted like I was a stranger...

The bare fact is... you don't need this person in your life, and you never did, save for the fact of learning a valuable lesson. As it was said in other posts, you need to focus on yourself, stay busy and rebuild your self-esteem, self-image and self-worth... You both knew it was going nowhere and one person drew the line and ended it... I guess try to learn the lesson I'm learning, at least one of the two of you had the courage to end it, and be happy that it wasn't you as I found out that its actually a lot easier to get over an emotionally charged relationship if you're the one who GETS dumped as opposed to being the person who has to do it (because then you get feelings of regret and guilt, unless you're a cold hearted person)

I believe that you guys did truly love each other... but the fact is that you will find someone you have a greater love for and they have the same for you... not only love, but respect... You will find someone down the road (could be in a few months or a few years) that will make you smile and be happy... Unfortunately you have to sift through a lot of crap to get to that, but along the way you will learn more and more
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 03:36 PM

"The bare fact is... you don't need this person in your life, and you never did, save for the fact of learning a valuable lesson."

So true.

"but the fact is that you will find someone you have a greater love for and they have the same for you... not only love, but respect... "

And more truth.
    MyBrainIsMyDrug Posts: 51, Reputation: 26

Aug 10, 2010, 03:42 PM

And if you want to get an understanding of what I came out of check out my thread https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...ke-458856.html

Getting into and then out of a situation, similar to yours, just brought misery to my life. At first it is great, unfotunately we aren't all psychic... The lesson I learned and hopefully the lesson you've learned is to spot that "turning point" where things begin to change... and instead of letting it draw out, end things with the person before it balls up into one big mess... I know its not always easy to see the warning signs, but if you get a gut instict, in my opinion, it's usually best to follow it...

Aug 10, 2010, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBrainIsMyDrug View Post
    It sounds to me like you developed a dependency with each other, I came from a similar type of relationship... Only I found while in the relationship she was more clingy and dependent towards me and then when we broke up I was moreso... I guess its dealing with loss of a constant in your life that you deeply cared for. Like your relationship, mine was unhealthy/addictive as well, constant fighting/disagreeing/arguing (it was like a daily part of our lives with each other)... There was feelings there, the "I love you so much" and so on... which is great and fine, but unfortunately emotions/feelings dont create a functional relationship... Like you, when she broke up with me... she was became really cold and even after all the crap I endured I spoke nicely to her and mentioned about being friends and she just acted like I was a stranger...

The bare fact is... you don't need this person in your life, and you never did, save for the fact of learning a valuable lesson. As it was said in other posts, you need to focus on yourself, stay busy and rebuild your self-esteem, self-image and self-worth... You both knew it was going nowhere and one person drew the line and ended it... I guess try to learn the lesson I'm learning, at least one of the two of you had the courage to end it, and be happy that it wasn't you as I found out that its actually a lot easier to get over an emotionally charged relationship if your the one who GETS dumped as opposed to being the person who has to do it (because then you get feelings of regret and guilt, unless your a cold hearted person)

I believe that you guys did truly love each other... but the fact is that you will find someone you have a greater love for and they have the same for you... not only love, but respect... You will find someone down the road (could be in a few months or a few years) that will make you smile and be happy... Unfortunately you have to sift through alot of crap to get to that, but along the way you will learn more and more
    Very insightful post... she fell in love with me, saw herself marrying me, moving to another country for me, missing me... and I got sucked in and as soon as I made a mistake or got nervous, she freaked out ten times as bad. I really love her so much and got so much joy from her, I don't know why I was always feeling ****ty from things she did, or slighted from other things. I stopped trusting her, and saw her as a source of pain or pleasure, I stopped treating her as another person. I think I felt like I didn't have respect from her anymore, and I resented her, and we blamed each other...

Very interesting that it will be harder for her- because I instigated the dump, but then she finished it off and showed impressive resolute not to even have a conversation with me. I am sure she is suffering much more than she lets on, or is a cold *****- could be either...

Thanks for the insight. I am like a stranger to her now, we've broken up like 5-6 times I guess total, but this time she is sticking to it. The other times after a short break up it was right back to "forever."

Quote Originally Posted by MyBrainIsMyDrug View Post
    and if you want to get an understanding of what I came out of check out my thread https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...ke-458856.html

Getting into and then out of a situation, similar to yours, just brought misery to my life. At first it is great, unfotunately we aren't all psychic... The lesson I learned and hopefully the lesson you've learned is to spot that "turning point" where things begin to change... and instead of letting it draw out, end things with the person before it balls up into one big mess... I know its not always easy to see the warning signs, but if you get a gut instict, in my opinion, it's usually best to follow it...
    Thanks I will definitely read that post... I had a gut instinct because what happened to me is what happened to all her ex-bfs... something wasn't right, I was always nervous, despite loving her so much and sharing so much joy with her and great moments.

Thing is we knew the way we were acting was not good, but we couldn't stop it! We talked about talking less, space, and the other person would be offended that the other person suggested such a thing. I lost control of my own life, and she lost hers as well, yet we kept going back for more.

I still want more. Scary.

Reading your thread, brain is a drug, I started to become the extreme insecure one- not being able to sleep, having panic attacks, feeling slighted, just living out of fear instead of living life. After multiple break ups, and begging, and bad speaking between each other I completely lost myself identity and couldn't get it back in the relationship. It just sucks I lost the friend as well.

I also feel as if I got sucked up in a web to be portrayed as the bad guy... I am always doing wrong, being mean, "verbally abusive" in her bogus words, guilt tripped into feeling as if I caused all her pain.

She told me a part of her is broken from our relationship and she can't communicate with me anymore and that I am the cause of all her anxiety and she is bordering on a nervous breakdown. Then she gives me some "goodbye communication" because she pities me... She is a smart girl and knows how to manipulate me into feeling bad.
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 10:17 PM

"we've broken up like 5-6 times I guess total"

"I still want more. Scary."

'She is a smart girl and knows how to manipulate me into feeling bad."

Anything else?

Screw it man. It wasnt right.
    She can manipulate you anymore, see?

Its all in your head now.

The past is over.

"I started to become the extreme insecure one- not being able to sleep, having panic attacks, feeling slighted, just living out of fear instead of living life."

Guess your gut was telling you something. Just didn't act on it. Now have been granted that gift.

Enjoy it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 10:24 PM

Girls like these prey upon insecurity.

Give you enough to hang on, open the door up again when they need you.

Screw with your head.

But it takes two.

I took that crap for 5 years. Why?
    Lots of reasons. Insecurity, denial, false needs, manipulation.

I went back & read my journals after I got dumped.
    I knew it from the start. Just denied it.

Got hurt 100 fold by doing that.
    What the hell was I thinking or doing?

The good thing is now I know.

Aug 10, 2010, 11:05 PM

Wow that is a great reply. Sums it up perfectly. I had huge hopes and fell for everything... All the good and all the bad, and resented it deep down. Ended up losing myself. Was desperately in love with the idea of her, but even still I care and she, well who knows and who cares right? You all here have helped a lot.
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 11:22 PM

"Ended up losing myself'

Yup. Me too. Our fault for letting it happen honestly.
    But please dont trip on that. Be honest with yourself.

"but even still I care"

No more reason to care. Heal first.

If you can get to the point when you can wish her well in your head & heart later, then I say you are that closer to being enlightened.

Its been a year & a half for me & gotta tell you, Im not wishing her well. Actually, try to let those those of her pass through me as quickly as they arrive.

Not sure if your girl fits here, but mine was full blown.
    You may see some similarities, check it out:

Diagnostic criteria for 301.81 Narcissistic Personality Disorder
(cautionary statement)  

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following: 

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements) 

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love 

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions) 

(4) requires excessive admiration 

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e. unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations 

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e. takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends 

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others 

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her 

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Aug 10, 2010, 11:33 PM

I wouldn't say that describes mine. Mine I would say is incredibly insecure, and has to exagerated/delusion/be a victim/ build her ego and have people like her because of the insecurity.

Also huge stress case, dissatisfaction with her life compared to others, needy, has to look good in others eyes. And overly emotional.

And can never be wrong or reveal herself to even her close friends (only I know how she changes into different people).

Aug 10, 2010, 11:37 PM

I still love her though, I stopped being a really loving person so for that I take full responsibility and miss her. Am going to a therapist on thur.
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 11:49 PM

"I still love her though"

Not sure why. Maybe your therapist can get to the bottom of that.

She treated you like crap.

We all miss at first, cause it's a conditioning. A habit.
    Hope you don't miss the BS.

Never sounded like the good outweighed the bad.

Aug 11, 2010, 09:02 AM

I treated her like crap too, became controlling and insensitive when I stopped trusting her. Sometimes I view it as all good or all bad, but I hate the hatred going on now and now that I'm coming back to life so much wiser and with a better perspective I want to reach out to her again because we both did have great moments and I did rely on her. It's a horrible feeling when someone who knows all of you (and me all of her) pushes you completely out. I regret all of my mistakes because even though there was bad, she has a lot of special characteristics that make her the complete person that she is, and you hve to accept all of them.

Your posts have offered a lot of clarity, I want to pass it on to her.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 09:26 AM

Don't be silly!

Aug 11, 2010, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Don't be silly!
    Wouldn't accomplish anything ?
    Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 09:41 AM

Like what, you think she will listen to you telling her what to do?

Aug 11, 2010, 09:48 AM

Hmmm good point. I just hate the hatred that came from her and I at the end. But it won't be possible to reason with her will it? Everyday I get more clarity- see our mistakes more and miss her in my life more. Only the bad is fading for me. Which isn't good for me.

Right after the big incident I knew I wasn't happy and she wasn't happy. I panicked at losing her but was worried for her health, and kept my kind support. But as the panic has faded and I have been regaining my life, I'm remembering how and why she became such an important part of my life.
    Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 10:24 AM

That's all good but play the whole tape and NOT just look at the good parts. If it was all good, you wouldn't be here.

Aug 11, 2010, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Thats all good but play the whole tape and NOT just look at the good parts. If it was all good, you wouldn't be here.
    You're right I got mind****ed, but I miss her and all the good parts...

We had a real special relationship, we just made every mistake you shouldn't make in a relationship. IE we became obsessive and fought about nothing, and blamed each other for our loss of lives. I don't know, I think I'm just confused.

I want to e-mail her though, but yeah it wouldn't accomplish anything I guess.

Aug 11, 2010, 03:48 PM

You guys are right, I'm addicted to the idea of her. A smart, hot, obsessed with me, reliable GF. Not the reality of who she actually was or what actually happened between us.

Obviously the good moments were very intense, but there would be 5% horrible bad moments and I could not trust her. If you guys knew the guy she kissed, omg, it would embarrass me behind my screen name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Addictive toxic intense relationship - why is it so difficult to move on? [ 6 Answers ]

I was seeing this girl on and off and on and off for 3.5years. There were lows and highs but for most of the time she was insistent on living her life through me which made me feel very responsible for her and her happiness. WIthin weeks of meeting she gave up her job for me and wanted to come and...

Is Smoking ALWAYS Addictive? [ 6 Answers ]

I have not smoked since July. For the past 5 yrs, I have smoked only a 3-4 times per year. I find it very relaxing usually around July 4th holidays and again during winter holidays, when I go to wild parties where there is a lot of drinking. Also occasionally I have a smoke when I feel...

Nicotine is not addictive for me [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, I have done half a can of grizzly smokeless tobacco. I noticed that I have none what so ever craving for tobacco. This tobacco is suppose to have the highest concentration of nicotine in the market. I noticed that when I have my dip in for 1 hour I get a little light headed and by that...

My Dad is so destructive [ 18 Answers ]

Hello everyone I'm new here. I'm looking for some peace... Here's my situation.. My father has always been a very toxic person as long as I've known him. He has a laundry list of people he hates, most of which are family. He belittles, constantly full of sarcasm, does things (he calls it helping)...

View more questions Search