Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amantedelaluz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 03:22 PM
    Can my landlord wants to make renovations to my place that I don't want? - Missouri
    I am a Missouri tenant and my landlord mentioned wanting to make renovations to the kitchen when I moved in in March. He said he was going to do them right away. Since I moved in he was entering my apartment without giving me any notice and piddling around with small unnecessary repairs (NOTHING that qualifies as an emergency) and not the renovations he said he was going to make. He lives upstairs and that probably made him think he could just work on the place whenever he felt the urge. His projects turn into 20 projects and when he says it will take him a couple days to do something, it turns into 2 weeks. I asked via email to please notify me and give me some sort of notice if he was going to need to be in my apartment and he agreed to do so. So until now, his projects have been outside my apartment and I have been living here, happily.

Suddenly, he has decided to begin working on the kitchen, four months after he said was going to complete it. He told me he would be finished with his current project in my kitchen by Thursday at noon and he was there until Friday evening without letting me know it would take longer. So he broke our written (email) agreement about him letting me know when he would be in the apartment.

Not only that, he also left my front door unlocked while no one was in it when I came home Thursday.

Now he is planning on putting in a countertop and a dishwasher and who knows what else... I don't want him to do ANYTHING to my apartment unless it's an emergency. I don't want him in my apartment (he has an annoying personality) and I just want to pay my rent, know who is in my apartment and when, and live in peace. I don't want to live here with him and his guys coming in and out whenever they feel like it making UNNECESSARY renovations to my kitchen. While a new kitchen would be nice, I know this will just go on for months and become a HUGE HASSLE. And now I have to worry about them locking the door!

Is there anything I can do to put a stop to this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 03:26 PM

Yes, you can tell him to stay out unless there's an emergency.

In some States you can put your own lock on the door after you so advise him.

Do you have a lease?
    amantedelaluz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 03:48 PM

I have a lease that is good until next March. I would love to say that... but does Missouri law back me up on that?

There seems to be no law protecting me here that I have found in my search. Can you point me in the right direction so that I can at least know what I'm talking about when I tell him to stay out? Lucky me! My landlord is a lawyer! :(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 05:17 PM

He does have to give you notice, but he is allowed to do work in the home he owns if he wants. He can change diswashers, and change counters if he wants to change them and is paying for them.

He does have to give you notice he will be in the home.
    ** did he perhaps assume that since when you returned home and the work was not done, you would know that he would have to return ?

Even if you change locks you are required to give him a key to it or provide him a way to enter.

You can put a security system in, and inform him that it is there and unless you know he will be coming in, it will go off

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a landlord need notice to enter apartment in Missouri [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter lives in a college town in Missouri and rents an apartment with 3 other girls, their landlord or maintenance man has entered their apartment more than once without notice. One girl was even in the shower when he entered. A newsletter they received stated that this man can enter whenever...

Can My Landlord Evict me because they have no place to go? [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a phone call late Oct 31st from my landlord stating that they need to break my lease because her husband is not working as much so they need to move back into the place that I am renting and they need me out by December because they need to leave and have all there stuff out by Jan...

My mother is my LL, we put $1000's into renovations, she's evicting us to make profit [ 5 Answers ]

Here goes a long question. This is in New Hampshire. In 2000 my mom purchased a home to sell to us (myself & wife). We were to have 4-5 years to purchase. Our agreement was that she would by a broken property for cheap and we would fix it up to build equity that we could use to help with our...

View more questions Search