Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmustang262 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 01:24 PM
    John Deere LX255 15hp Kohler c-series won't start
    Lately, when mowing, it would back fire and quit running. After waiting for afew seconds, it would restart with no more problems. It seemed as though it was flooding. I changed the air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, oil and oil filter - after replacing these, it won't start at all. I switched plugs with no change. I pulled the flywheel and checked the pin, no problems. Can the coil be having an intermittent problem? Carb? Safety kill switches?
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 9, 2010, 09:04 AM
    Hi! Jmustang, welcome to AMHD :)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmustang262 View Post
    Lately, when mowing, it would back fire and quit running. After waiting for afew seconds, it would restart with no more problems. It seemed as though it was flooding. I changed the air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, oil and oil filter - after replacing these, it won't start at all. I switched plugs with no change. I pulled the flywheel and checked the pin, no problems. Can the coil be having an intermittent problem? Carb? Safety kill switches?
    From an AMHD search:
    askmehelpdesk.com/tools-power-equipment/15-hp-kohler-john-deere-rider-wont-start-
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 07:18 AM

Hi,
    You have a sheared flywheel key; Deere part# 26H74. It is a 3/16" X 5/8" woodruff key.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere LX255 [ 1 Answers ]

My John Deere LX 255 will not start. Getting no fire to spark plug. Was running fine, turned off would not start again. Checked fuel.

Lx255 john deere [ 3 Answers ]

My tractor is ten years old and in excellent shape it has been very well taken care of by me. It recently has had a problem wanting to start after it has been running for more than 30 min. Today it just decided to quit and now it will not start. I have removed the plug and checked the safety...

15 hp Kohler in a John Deere rider won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a John Deere Model LX255 riding mower with a C series 15HP Kohler overhead valve engine. The engine cranks and cranks but won't start. Replaced both the Seat and parking brake safety switches, spark plug and fuel filter. I pulled and checked the plug no spark apparent. I replaced the...

Scotts (John Deere) with Kohler engine won't start! [ 1 Answers ]

Scotts (John Deere) riding mower with Kohler engine won't start!! Jump starting = no help. Made sure seat safety switch clean and ignition fuse OK. Brake on. Parking brake on/off. Disengaged and re-engaged tranny. Made sure blade handle full up and a little more and a little less just in case...

View more questions Search