Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchl87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 08:45 AM
    What is base amount income?
    Do I need to file IRS if I have a gross income of $30,000 with approx. one half is
    Social security income? Married, filing jointly, both over 65.
    mitchl87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchl87 View Post
    Do I need to file irs if I have a gross income of $30,000 with approx. one half is
    social security income? Married, filing jointly, both over 65.
    What is base amount of income when determining if we need to file?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 07:50 PM

To determine whether some of your benefits may be taxable:
    · First, add one-half of the total Social Security benefits you received to all your other income, including any tax exempt interest and other exclusions from income.

· Then, compare this total to the base amount for your filing status. If the total is more than your base amount, some of your benefits may be taxable.
    The 2009 base amounts are:
    · $32,000 for married couples filing jointly.
    · $25,000 for single, head of household, qualifying widow/widower with a dependent child, or married individuals filing separately who did not live with their spouses at any time during the year.
    · $0 for married persons filing separately who lived together during the year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recorded amount of Payroll on an Income Statement. [ 1 Answers ]

Shoot I messed up my question. So I will ask again. Is the gross amount of payroll listed on the income statement? I am confused because that contains the employee withholding taxes and is paid by the employee and not the company. Please help. Thanks.

Should W 12a code L amount be deducted from income on 1040NR [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about a case of deduction from income in form 1040 NR. There is some amount shown in W2 in cell 12a with code L. This is business expenses reirmbursed. The tax return form is 1040NR for a F1 visa holder. The question is How this amount (with code L) should be dealt...

1099A; Do I file the amount as income [ 2 Answers ]

Received a1099A form and called the bank. The person I spoke with stated that the amount would not be reported as income but could not advise me on how to file it. Please help.

Certain amount of income [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a certain amount of income you have to make to be able to claim your taxes? I only worked for a about two months last year and I don't think I made too much. And also is there a certain amount you get back for each child? This is my first year claiming my daughter.

Negligible amount of income in Germany [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am F1 student on OPT, citizen of Germany, in the US since 2001. For 2006, I will need to file my taxes for the first time as a resident. Now I read that I need to report my world-wide income. I have some unsubstantial income in Germany (couple of $100 in interest), nothing big, which...

View more questions Search