Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikeygeees Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 01:38 AM
    When should you incorporate your business
    I have an idea of a business that I'd like to start. I need to know what criteria I should use to decide whether to set up a corporation; whether it be an s-corp, LLC, and so forth. Mainly my question is under what circumstance would a person need or want to set up a corporation.

Thank you,

Mike
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2006, 10:50 PM
    A corporation gives you limited liability in that if the business fails, your creditors can only come after your business assets and not yours.

So they can't come and take YOUR house, YOUR personal car, YOUR personal bank account.

Also, if someone sues you, rather your corporation, the damages will be limited to your corporation and not you personally.

The downside is it costs a bit to set up. Not too much considering what could be at stake.

It comes down to what kind of business you are doing, whether you are going to have employees, and how much general risk you will face.

If you are going to have employees, odds are it is probably better to set up a corporation.

I know if I were you, I would, I would sleep better at night knowing whatever happens in the business, I won't lose my house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1B -- How do I incorporate this in my tax returns? [ 3 Answers ]

For calendar year 2005, I have changed status from F-1 on OPT to H1B Work Visa Status. How does this affect the filing of my tax returns? On F-1, I was exempt from FICA but on H1B I became non-exempt. How do I incorporate both on my tax returns?

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

New business [ 1 Answers ]

Wanting to start cleaning business. I have my occupational license but I am not bonded or insured. How do I go about getting bonded and insured for my personal new company? Thank you

Should I Incorporate? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm planning on working for Fedex as a contract home delivery driver. As such, I will have to buy a van and pay my own taxes and operating expenses. Is it best for me to incorporate, or should I just work as a sole proprietor? I live in California.. My wife works also and makes a good income so I'm...

View more questions Search