Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whatawaste Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 08:45 PM
    Condo unit water consumption skyrocketing
    The first year, our consumption averaged 2300 'units' per month. Two months ago, usage jumped to 39,000 units so I cut off water to toilet that seemed to run constantly. Last month's bill did drop but only to 29,000 units. What could be the problem since there are no obvious leaks in or out of the condo? Meter defect?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 08:56 PM

There is a leak test dial on a water meter that can determine that there is consumption.

Toilets. Put food coloring in the tank and see if it appears in the bowl.

Fluidmaster now makes a flush valve that will protect against toilet leaks.

As for the toilet problem - the flapper is not sealing.
    whatawaste Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 09:05 PM

Please note that the usage was typically about 26 hundred 'units' and skyrocketed to 39 thousand units, then by cutting off the running toilet, it dropped to 29 thousand. Still 10 times normal!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 09:10 PM

Check multiple toilets if you have them.

Look at the leak detect dial on the water meter.

Another possibility is the washer and the water heater T & P valve.

The hot water heater temperature and pressure relief valve is always a good suspect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much does it cost to replace a hvac unit in a condo [ 5 Answers ]

I need to replace the chassis in my Climatmaster HVAC system in my condo. I was give a quote of $4900 to replace the chassis with a new one that is directly from manufacturer with a 5 year warrantee. A refurbished chassis would cost $4000. Are these prices normal for replacment? It seems quite...

Insufficient Hot Water; Multi-unit Condo Building [ 19 Answers ]

I live in a 9 floor, 30 unit residential condo building and we have historically experienced intermittent problems with hot water getting to units or taking a long time to warm up. Recently the problems have gotten much worse and we are seeing complete outages on mid to high level floors. We have...

Neighbor leak damaged my condo unit [ 3 Answers ]

I own a condo and I am doing a bathroom remodel. My contractor found that my neighbor had a overflow drain pipe leak. It's now fixed. The leak damaged the drywall in my bathroom ceiling and 2 walls. I heard that legally she is responsible to replace my drywalls and re-paint as well as being...

How does the condo association know the unit is not owner occupied? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I am an owner of a condo which should be occupied by owner only per the bylaws. I relocated because of the job change. The unit is empty now. If I let my close friend move in, will the association find out the unit is not owner occupied? If they do, is there any way to work around so my friend...

How does the condo association know I am renting out my unit? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an owner of a condo which should be occupied by owner only per the bylaws. I relocated because of the job change. The unit is empty now. If I let my close friend move in, will the association find out the unit is not owner occupied? If they do, is there any way to work around so my friend...

View more questions Search