Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cobra40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 08:01 AM
    Could roots from a large magnolia tree cause a problem to my foundations?
    I have a large magnolia tree approx 8ft from my house. It's trunk is about 8inches in dia.
    And it's about 17 ft tall. The roots have pushed through the side of the pond about the same distance away,is it possible the roots could damage the foundations of the house?
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 8, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra40 View Post
    I have a large magnolia tree approx 8ft from my house. It's trunk is about 8inches in dia.
    And it's about 17 ft tall. The roots have pushed through the side of the pond about the same distance away,is it possible the roots could damage the foundations of the house?
    Although your foundation is stronger, it is only a matter of time before it is effected also.

Be forewarned that this southern giant needs plenty of room. Don't expect grass or anything else to grow underneath a magnolia. The old leaves that accumulate under the tree seem to take forever to decompose.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2010, 02:47 PM

I have been told that they can.
    I have conifer trees, that have created the same problem for me, lifting the patio slabs by some height.Also if I plant elsewhere in the garden, as I dig down there is always a huge root facing me.

I am trying to get them cut down but it is very costly, which will be even more costly if they reach the house.

Very worrying.
    spanky917 Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Aug 12, 2010, 11:36 AM

You can't fool mother nature... yes... the roots will eventually affect the foundation but... they will always be trying to find moisture thus... tend to go towards moist areas... like... septic tank field lines...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Magnolia tree for fire wood [ 2 Answers ]

Is the wood from magnolia tree good for fire wood, it there any funny smell or too much smoke... thanks

Cut Tree Down? Tree Roots destroying my walkway. [ 7 Answers ]

I have some type of birch tree in the front of my house. The roots have grown up on the lawn and crakes my walk way. The tree is beautiful but is destroying my walkway and the lawn. Can I save it or should I just cut it down. If I replant a tree, what tree can I plant that will avoid damaging my...

Covering large maple tree roots [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 26 year old Maple tree in our backyard that has huge roots above ground covering a portion of our yard. How might we cover them up without damage to the tree, but in a way to make the yard more attractive. Thanks!!

Red Squirrel making hole in Magnolia Tree [ 1 Answers ]

We have a large magnolia tree in our back yard and a little red squirrel is enlarging a crack in the tree. We are afraid that the tree will die. He has made it almost big enough to get in to. Should we patch the hole? What is a good thing to patch it with? The tree is very near our bird feeders...

View more questions Search