Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumbinken Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 04:30 AM
    89 honda civic stalls when downshifting or coming to a stop
    Changed pcv valve, o2 sensor, oil plugs, wires, fuel filter, main relay, distributor, Already has new clutch. When making turns, etc. the car stalls when downshifting into a lower gear.If Itake it out of that gear, it runs again and it lets me down shift then. It also happens when coming to a complete stop, sometimes. 1989 honda civic 1.5 L
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 04:35 AM

You need to have your throttle angle checked. It sounds like its shutting down from lack of throttle.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 05:42 AM

. Set idle to 700 rpm, after it reaches normal operating temperature.

. Check timing with a timing light--it may be retarded too much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda civic stalls [ 20 Answers ]

I have an 89 honda civic lx 1.5L 5-sp. The car was running great until one day I was driving along around 60mph when the car sputter and lost power as if running out of fuel. I pulled over and the engine sputtered a little more but then was fine. This happened several more times over the course of...

Honda civic 92 stalls [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have an automatic civic 92. I've been reading other answers on hondas that turn but won't crank. My problem is that my car stalled on me on the road 2 weeks ago during extreme cold weather (-35 degrees) and had to tow it back home. Obviously I thought the gas lines were frozen. ...

Honda civic 1990 stalls when a/c turned on [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a 1990 honda civic last year and it runs great. I decided to make this my primary means of transportation. To do this, I needed to have the a/c fixed. The existing after-market a/c was not working. I took it to a shop and they replaced the major parts (condenser, compressor,...

98 Honda Civic LX - Stalls, and won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 door, american, 98 honda civic lx. It has a 1.6L engine with 157,000 miles and an automatic transmission. I have had the car about a year and a half and have been having serious problems for about the last year. My car shuts off while I am driving, while I am at stop lights idling,...

93' Honda Civic Stalls [ 3 Answers ]

My 93' Honda Civic has been stalling lately. It started a couple of months ago when it first started to get cold. Also, I notice that it stalls most often when it is cold. When the problem first occurred, I tried using fuel injector cleaner every time I filled up my gas tank. However, the fuel...

View more questions Search