Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredfox Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2010, 02:53 PM
    My wife is a slow eater. Embarrassed in public
    My wife tried to register but we can't seem to do it, so I am asking this question for her.

I am a member of a fraternal organization that has a Friday night dinner -- we sit at different tables each time -- 10 people to a table. My wife is a slow eater but it seems that someone always remarks about how slowly she eats. They generally make it sound like they are joking, but she has become so uncomfortable that she doesn't want to go any longer. Is there anything she or I can do? She tried hurrying last week and nearly chocked.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 6, 2010, 02:58 PM

The others should take a lesson from your wife and slow down their eating. She's right; they're wrong -- plus it's poor etiquette to comment on a fellow diner's behavior unless it is gross.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 03:07 PM

What do they do eat a whole slab of ribs in a minute? Take up for your wife and tell the gobblers where to get off.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Aug 6, 2010, 03:09 PM

I am a slow eater too. It really is quite rude of others to make comments like that. I can understand why your wife feels the way she does.

Your wife might want to plant a smile on her face and say:

"I didn't realize this was a race. I prefer to take the time to enjoy my food and digest it properly. I am sorry you find my eating habit so disturbing. "

That will shut them up without stooping to their level of rudeness.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Another_Lemming View Post
    I am a slow eater too. It really is quite rude of others to make comments like that. I can understand why your wife feels the way she does.

"I didn't realize this was a race. I prefer to take the time to enjoy my food and digest it properly. I am sorry you find my eating habit so disturbing. "

That is so great. He should do that. LOL:D

Aug 6, 2010, 03:14 PM

Thanks Wondergirl. She has always been a slow eater and I've slowed down too and it gives us nice peaceful meals at home or in restaurants (alone) when we can chat. Unfortunately, not much we can do about other people when we are kind of forced into a situation. I want her to continue coming with me to Friday night dinners.

Aug 6, 2010, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Another_Lemming View Post

That is a terrific answer. If she doesn't say it, I will. Thanks very much for your help.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 03:22 PM

I'm glad you love your wife enough to see this hurts her and I'm glad you are gong to speak up for her. Good for you!
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Aug 6, 2010, 03:25 PM

KK, I second your last comment!

You're welcome Fred. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 6, 2010, 03:42 PM

I am a very slow eater as well... my excuse (and yes, I've said it) "Than you for noticing. I like to savor the flavor, I'm not a hoover vacuum you know."
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I am a very slow eater as well....my excuse (and yes, I've said it) "Than you for noticing. I'm not a hoover vacuum you know."
    LOL I can see you saying that... lol.:D

Aug 6, 2010, 03:55 PM

Hi, this is fred's wife. I want to thank you all for being so helpful and supportive. I'm going to get ready to face the rabble :-) and enjoy my dinner. I could put up with someone just making a one sentence comment that they notice I eat slowly, but most of the people who say something make an entire dinner conversation out of it. Go figure!
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfox View Post
    Hi, this is fred's wife. I want to thank you all for being so helpful and supportive. I'm going to get ready to face the rabble :-) and enjoy my dinner. I could put up with someone just making a one sentence comment that they notice I eat slowly, but most of the people who say something make an entire dinner conversation out of it. Go figure!
    Have a great time and eat extra slow tonight just cause you can:D
    It'll drive them crazy.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 6, 2010, 04:02 PM
    Let us know later what happened if someone criticized, and you nicely responded. Tell us about the food too. :D

Aug 6, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Let us know later what happened if someone criticized, and you nicely responded. Tell us about the food too. :D
    Wouldn't you know it--I get some great advice on how to take care of a problem that's been a pain forever, and nobody said anything this time. The place was packed so we weren't all served at once. That didn't give anybody a chance to pick on me. But, I will be ready for them the next time now that I have two good responses from here. Maybe I should practice in the mirror LOL. The food was actually better than usual, I had the lasagna with a salad and garlic bread. Thanks for asking Wondergirl.
    Fannie (fred's wife)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 6, 2010, 10:34 PM
    Wouldn't you know it--I get some great advice on how to take care of a problem that's been a pain forever, and nobody said anything this time. The place was packed so we weren't all served at once. That didn't give anybody a chance to pick on me. But, I will be ready for them the next time now that I have two good responses from here. Maybe I should practice in the mirror LOL. The food was actually better than usual, I had the lasagna with a salad and garlic bread. Thanks for asking Wondergirl.
    Fannie (fred's wife)
    The angels were watching over you, Fannie! You go, girl!
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 10:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The angels were watching over you, Frannie! You go, girl!
    Wondergirl is a wonder. Good Luck.:)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 6, 2010, 10:59 PM

I can't believe anyone would comment on something like this. How rude.

I'm a slow eater too, mainly because I gag if I eat too fast. I'm usually the last one still eating whenever we go out. Hubby sometimes gets impatient, he is in fact a hoover. ;)

I hope they do say something just so you can use one of the lines that have been posted and put them to shame. :)
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I can't believe anyone would comment on something like this. How rude.

I'm a slow eater too, mainly because I gag if I eat too fast. I'm usually the last one still eating whenever we go out. Hubby sometimes gets impatient, he is in fact a hoover. ;)

I hope they do say something just so you can use one of the lines that have been posted and put them to shame. :)

Girl, the things you come up with. A hoover.. LOL.:D
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 12:00 AM

I'm a VERY slow eater because I have a severe case of GERD. If I don't cut up my food EXTREMELY small, and chew it up completely, the food tends to get stuck in my throat and I have to throw it up.

So, I just use the time to savor the flavor and enjoy the company and conversation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am embarrassed [ 3 Answers ]

This is my other question. Am 23 and I have issues with my breasts. First of all my nipples are inverted or something of the sort, so when you look at my breasts, where the nipples are supposed to be are empty and its only when its reali cold that they come out or when my boyfriend sucks on them...

He's embarrassed of being seen with me [ 57 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have a very unususal story, he met me when I was 8 months pregnant, but he didn't care, we started dating and since I used to live 2 hours away from him, he asked me to move closer to him (not with him, but closer to him). I had a beautiful baby girl now. His kids live with him...

Should I be embarrassed? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a virgin and for the first time I had oral sex and after when I went to the bathroom to clean up I had blood stain.. Is it possible for the hymen to break like this? If I saw the stains does that mean he saw them on his finger as well? It embarrasses me, but he never said anything about it.

I am so embarrassed [ 6 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I are great lovers and I love her to death. Now there are times we don't get have sex so we do oral... Well when she gives me head.. I get this feeling like I'm about 2 pee. And I am afraid because last time I did do it. I think I did a little (I know it gross) Ever since then I'm...

Embarrassed! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have just started seeing someone sexually who loves to satisfy a woman through oral sex which I think is great! Unfortunately, I have never been able to orgasm through intercourse let alone oral sex. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sex and I get well lubricated and love the feeling. However, I...

View more questions Search