Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 12:14 AM
    We just do not know how to enjoy "nothingness" anymore.

Some of the best meals I've ever had were with loved ones, sharing "small plates"... some call them tapas... over a long time.. over great conversation.

We just don't get it anymore.

Food isn't best enjoyed with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the cell while driving. Likewise, relationships aren't best when conviently brief or cut off.

I do appreciate your question. You are conflicted. It makes sense. I get it.

I also think, when in doubt, consider your loved one first. She isn't trying to harm anyone. She takes time to enjoy her meal.

Sure... ill break the rule and get irritable when my 6 year old will diddle daddle and not eat. And then complain that his food is cold.

But here... unless there is other compelling info that's not been stated... you stand by her. So... she doesn't shovel it in like the rest of us. Good for her!

When the buddies make noise about her eating too slow, tell them that she's always been one to appreciate her life, to savor her experiences.

If they still don't get it... well... they never will and it isn't your job to make them happy.

Tend to your wife. This is not the battle to fight. Stand by her. See her side. Defend it.

Unless she intentionally disturbs your life with patient food... I just don't see how to put her to the wall for this.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Aug 8, 2010, 12:12 AM

I agree with kp on this. Your wife should not feel embarrassed - the ones who should are the ones making disrespectul remarks. Often rudeness is disguised as humor. Ha ha - it is not so funny.

Be supportive.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 06:58 PM

I think it's weird people comment on it. Unless they are vaccuuming and locking the place up for the night, who cares how long it takes her to eat? Does she object to them moving on to dessert and coffee while she finishes her entrée?

I think if someone comments she should just say, "I'm not able to eat faster so I take my time - don't wait for me because it makes me feel rushed." If she truly is out of time to finish her meal, she can ask for it to be wrapped to go and take more time to finish later.

I agree with the others that unless someone's behavior is outrageously offensive, we should not correct one another's manners at the table unless they are our minor children.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2010, 05:35 PM

I get the impression her husband supports her, Bleusong 52. He's trying to find out how to manage rudeness his wife is subjected to by others but doesn't appear to have issue with it himself.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Aug 26, 2010, 12:51 AM

I did not get that impression. He has not ever said he stood up for her in those situations and maybe I expect him to speak up for her.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Aug 26, 2010, 04:27 AM

Bleu, this is what I got out of Fred's posts:

Quote Originally Posted by fredfox View Post
    I am a member of a fraternal organization that has a Friday night dinner -- we sit at different tables each time -- 10 people to a table. My wife is a slow eater but it seems that someone always remarks about how slowly she eats. They generally make it sound like they are joking, but she has become so uncomfortable that she doesn't want to go any longer. Is there anything she or I can do?
    That is a terrific answer. If she doesn't say it, I will. Thanks very much for your help.
    Hi, this is fred's wife. I want to thank you all for being so helpful and supportive. I'm going to get ready to face the rabble :-) and enjoy my dinner. I could put up with someone just making a one sentence comment that they notice I eat slowly, but most of the people who say something make an entire dinner conversation out of it. Go figure!
    Fred was ready to fight for his woman! LOL! :)
    He just didn't know how to respond, which is why he posted here. It is a rather uncomfortable position these other people put them in. I find it very distressing that a number of people appeared to band together to poke fun at her over this. I was a member of a fraternal organization at one time. For a very short period. I found the other members spent much of their time together drinking and tearing down their friends (all supposedly in the name of "fun"). I don't know if all fraternal organizations do this, but I decided after my experience, I wasn't interested in finding out. There are better ways for me to spend my time.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 09:29 AM

The husband is the one who is taking up for his wife. He is very nice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am embarrassed [ 3 Answers ]

This is my other question. Am 23 and I have issues with my breasts. First of all my nipples are inverted or something of the sort, so when you look at my breasts, where the nipples are supposed to be are empty and its only when its reali cold that they come out or when my boyfriend sucks on them...

He's embarrassed of being seen with me [ 57 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have a very unususal story, he met me when I was 8 months pregnant, but he didn't care, we started dating and since I used to live 2 hours away from him, he asked me to move closer to him (not with him, but closer to him). I had a beautiful baby girl now. His kids live with him...

Should I be embarrassed? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a virgin and for the first time I had oral sex and after when I went to the bathroom to clean up I had blood stain.. Is it possible for the hymen to break like this? If I saw the stains does that mean he saw them on his finger as well? It embarrasses me, but he never said anything about it.

I am so embarrassed [ 6 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I are great lovers and I love her to death. Now there are times we don't get have sex so we do oral... Well when she gives me head.. I get this feeling like I'm about 2 pee. And I am afraid because last time I did do it. I think I did a little (I know it gross) Ever since then I'm...

Embarrassed! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have just started seeing someone sexually who loves to satisfy a woman through oral sex which I think is great! Unfortunately, I have never been able to orgasm through intercourse let alone oral sex. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sex and I get well lubricated and love the feeling. However, I...

View more questions Search