tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Tick.

Found

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...UYOSQA&cad=rja

Under the Fauna section.
    Okay, that's only alberta and that's only norwegian rats which came over as stoaways in the late l800s. Stay tuned. Will take me a while, have worked 3 over nights plus my days for the last week so very tired right now but I will keep on it, alty.

Tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 06:50 PM

Haha Cats, yep they are very good 'ratters' but surprisingly I would trust Cyrus a lot more than I would trust Brody or Prada!
    They would be locked away in the bedroom while mr or mrs rat has it's time out.

Not too worried about it being in a cage with them around because we had Dora (the rabbit) in the living room at one point and after about an hour of yelling at them they completely ignored her.

Going to price some things today, I'll let you know how we go :)

Oh and one last question...

Do you think it would be OK to buy one from a pet store?
    Or should we try and find someone who breeds them and go there directly?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 06:51 PM

Mice are allowed. In fact, I almost bought a mouse instead of a hamster. They had some really cute mice when we went to pick up Chicklet (the hamster) they were white and brown. My cousin had a mouse that actually slept on her pillow at night. Very tame, very well trained. They're smart little animals.

Tick, as far as I know it's not just Norwegian rats, but I could be wrong. All I do know is that I have never seen rats in any pets stores or in the shelters. I've never seen an ad for rats in the paper. You simply can't purchase them here.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2010, 07:03 PM

A pet store rat would be fine I think (I've bought most my small animals from one, except one ferret). There more expensive at a pet store, but around here they come with a year health guarantee and such, most rat/hamster/mouse and other small animals around here
    Are bred by kids who decided to put there animal with there friend
    And make babies... It's sad but...
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 12:12 AM

Well... I sort of impulse bought... but she was so darn cute!

Yep, we bought a female, her name is Mint and she is about 10 weeks old.
    She is from a pet store but I was surprised at how knowledgeable they were about rats! We got given a big care sheet on them and the girl knew a lot about them, she made sure we had everything we needed to care for her.
    I was gobsmacked to be honest, usually it's just "You give me money, I give you rat" She comes with a 7 day health guarantee too and if she gets sick I have to give them a call and they will pay for a visit to their vet.

Here's a picture of the cage... MIL's birdcage was bigger than I remembered so we went with that.
    The cardboard nesting box and carboard shelf will be going, it's just for the time being until we get better ones.
    The hammock I made of an old faux fur cushion cover :D

Oh and I will try and get a picture of her later, she's sleeping inside the box at the moment!
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 12:16 AM

Congrats Shazzy.

If you're not careful you're going to outdo me on the petting zoo. ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 01:35 AM

I know! That's 5 animals now (not counting fish lol)

I feel bad about buying her from a pet store but honestly, I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for a breeder.

She's such an inquisitive little thing, not like I thought they would be at all, I thought she would hide inside the box for a while until she got used to us but she ran around jumping on all the toys so we got her out and she just ran circles around our shoulders lol. She keeps trying to get inside my ear though which is kind of disturbing, and tickles :D

I'll let her have a playdate with Dora tomorrow when she comes in for her run.
    I found this site which is awesome, they say to make a run for them out of carboard :D
    Rat Toy Ideas

Sorry, I'm gibbering on but I'm so excited :D
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 02:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    ...keeps trying to get inside my ear though which is kind of disturbing, and and tickles :D
    How many times have I heard this complaint? ;)

*sigh*
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 02:50 AM
    Have fun, Shaz. If she gets out and hides, hit me up. I do know non-lethal ways to draw them out.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 03:00 AM

KP, you can lick my ear any time you like :)

And Cats, as long as they are non-lethal!!
    Haha, nah we have everything pretty well rat-proof because of the dogs, they do enjoy watching her though... for hours at a time... licking their lips.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 03:34 AM
    There's an Eww factor to this discussion for me. You might have noticed I HATE RODENTS. Childhood trauma and macho overcompensation and all that psychobabble but they give me the shivers. Michael and Jason and Freddy got nothing but my scariest movie of all time is Willard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_(1971_film)
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2010, 06:56 AM

Awe congrats! The cage seems large enough for two... If you notice her acting depressed you can always get another! A great idea for adding another floor is to hang a pillow case (one of the ones that open in the
    Middle) across the top of the cage with the clip things (they come on water bottles and such) our ferrets love sleeping in the pouch and running around on it. If you don't understand I can attach a photo of mine.

Don't feel bad about getting her from a petstore, especially one that seems
    Really knowledgeable, obviously they care about there animals and want them to go to a good home! Can't wait for
    Pictures!
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 07:42 AM

We have had her out about 5 times today but keep forgetting to take photos lol
    I took one through the bars while she was having a drink, that'll have to do for now.

We were talking about getting another so we may still yet. Her 2 sisters are still there, pretty much identical markings except Mint has a little white spot on her forehead.

And Cats, how could you think such a cute little face is ewww :p

Edit - forgot to say thanks for that idea Emily, I'm going to try it when I revamp the cage tomorrow!
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2010, 07:47 AM

Awwwwww, she's adorable!! I want one :)
    Pets Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 10:14 AM

She's so cute Shazzy. Looks like a big mouse. :)

I love her coloring.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 11:28 PM

She won't look like a mouse for long hehe got a bit of growing to do yet.

I found out I'm allergic to rats too which is great.
    It's not bad though, she was cuddled up on the back of my neck for about half an hour earlier and I just noticed it was a bit red afterwards.
    Mind you I'm also allergic to dogs, cats, horses, rabbits and that has never stopped me from owning any of them!
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 11:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Mind you I'm also allergic to dogs, cats, horses, rabbits and that has never stopped me from owning any of them!
    Are you allergic to irish/serb boys? I'm ownable at the present moment.

;)
    Pets Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 11:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    are you allergic to irish/serb boys? im ownable at the present moment.

;)
    If she is, I'll take you. I'm willing to put up with a rash as long as your rub lotion on it.

What thread are we on?

I'm hijacking all over the place tonight.

Bad Alty. Bad, bad Alty.
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 12:00 AM
    Booty spanking bunny sig ava still cracks me up.
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 12:06 AM

Alty this is my thread... hijack away!

Did I hear Irish? *swoons*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pet rats [ 8 Answers ]

I have a few questions. I have 2 female rats. I keep them in separate cages. The oldest one is about 10 - 11 months and the other one is maybe 4 months. I would like to be able to have them around each other if that can be possible. But I'm afraid of them fighting. Ive had them by each other a...

Two rats with different problems [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have just brought two rats, they are both about 6 months old. One belonged to a little girl and was looked after well, but had to be given up because the mum was allergic. Since we got this one home, we have noticed that she is almost always squeeking and kind of wheezing, most...

Rats and rodents - none in my lease [ 7 Answers ]

If my lease states that my apartment is free of rats ,rodents and vermin and for the past 6 months of my tenency I have had them is that a breach of contract ?

Rats under home [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all and hopefully someone will be able to help me out here. A little while ago I came to the conclusion that there was something living under my mini home (above the insulation). I replaced a lot of insulation and thought that whatever it was was gone and maybe had been for awhile due to...

Chinchilla Rats [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know more about chinchilla rats. Where can you find them? I think I may have seen one in Omak Washington. Please get back to me, Thanks.

View more questions Search