Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rol Posts: 804, Reputation: 162

Dec 20, 2006, 02:08 AM
    Interesting topic about Closure.. I know my case was perhaps different but closure really happened and it was good for me.
    So May I got the "i need to be alone "then during that week I got a "we need to talk" so went back home and he could not talk!! So I had to try and drag something out of his mouth and then it was just about the wedding that he was not ready , then he left home to be alone, 2 weeks later I get another lets talk this weekend , but when I met again he could not tell me anything and kept saying there was hope and if I was not so nice he would have believed it was all over and that he needed to be alone to find himself again. Well after 4 months of patience from me I finally got my closure in October! So closure did happen and was needed in my case.

Also closure for me is a nice way to just talk face to face without any bad feelings and in a mature way and wish each other the best.
    wap Posts: 177, Reputation: 54

Dec 20, 2006, 03:49 AM
    Sorry if this gets too long and boring!

There were so many questions going through my head too Skell, like what ifs? And whys? Etc etc

My ex said he loved me but he wasn't in love with me, we were different from each other, we weren't right for each other, it might be easier if split up now rather than further down the line. He also said he couldn't offer me much, I deserved someone special etc etc. My head was so mixed up with everything. I stll think about things over and over again but not as much now.

I think closure can be a good thing and a bad thing in a way. I guess you have to accept it is over and basically close the case if you like. I guess it feels better if things are at least on good terms.

It is always good to here what people think.

Dec 20, 2006, 04:01 AM
    So WAP also agrees with me that "it feels better if things are at least on good terms. "

Im wondering if this is just a female thing?

What about ye guys? Would that not be closure for ye?
    wap Posts: 177, Reputation: 54

Dec 20, 2006, 05:37 AM
    I find that it still helps to talk about things like closure, or in fact anything about the break up. I have stopped talking to my friends about it now. I didn't speak to my family that much about it. I think people you know just kind of forget about it after a couple of months and assume you are OK.

Dec 20, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Exactly, I'm like you wap, I don't talk to anyone about it anymore either.

Anyhow happy Christmas to all!! I'm off to Ireland tonight so I won't talk to ye until next year!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 20, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Some people need closure to accept things as they are and move on. With out it they cannot accept the fact that this relationship is really over and they should move on. Its like being stuck on stupid and not knowing what to do. With closure we can at least acknowledge the fact that things have changed and so must we. Not everyone needs closure, as some of us just accept things at face value with out the why? And what if? And are ready for change. Everyone is different.
    kay13 Posts: 103, Reputation: 22

Dec 20, 2006, 06:19 AM
    Personally I don't think you ever forget a break-up or how it feels.
    At the time it's happening closure isn't something that can always be achieved, especially if there are things that have been left unsaid.

When I was in my 20's the man I thought was the 'love of my life' dumped me telling me much the same as Wap's ex told her. I wanted to sort out all the 'why's', but it never happened as my hurt took over. We met again 20 years later and were able to talk about it logically. He had regrets, but I'd moved on and didn't want to go back.

I don't feel I've had closure in my latest break-up, but digging for it will make it worse. The NC rule is working fine for me, and to be honest after what has happened, this closure is never going to come from us being friends.
    4answers Posts: 200, Reputation: 35

Dec 20, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by imation
    well ill use an example for what i think closure is..
    currently my mate has been dumped by his gf of say.. 10 months or something like that.
    he wont leave her alone because her reason for doing it was "she can't deal with his emotional stress that he puts on her right now because she has a lot to deal with on her own", she had tried to kill herself.
    almost any guy would say ok i understand and back off.
    he wouldnt.
    and still wont.
    he would ring her come over to her house and try to kiss her and touch her, he tried everything. being romantic, being funny, making her pity him when he broke down in tears in front of her, and he's now only just getting over his latest phase of texting every hour to tell her he loves her so much she's so beautiful and he's praying for her.
    now come on, who else is gagging while reading about his actions?
    what i think he needs, is closure.
    closure that no matter what he does, its over.
    they arent getting back together.
    thats what he needs to hear, but the gf is not saying it the way she should.. but thats a diferent story.
    thats what i think closure is. knowing that its over, its passed, and that its time to move on.

This from personal experience of acting (ashamadly like your friend) has nothing to do with closure.

1. Closure is someone wanting to understand what they did wrong, so they can learn from it. i.e. its because you did this, said that, slept with her... lol.. etc...

2. Your friend is unable to break his emotional connection with this person and cannot break this connection without first realising this!! He is in a fight stage to keep the relationship from going, he cannot see that it is gone. He is acting in a high emotional stage, on emotions felt. You cannot reason with emotions because they are irrational.

3. Look at the article on NO Contact posted previously by myself. Your friend needs to read this. He needs to emotionaly step back from the connection he has with this girl, only then will he be able to see the wood for the trees and be back to his normal self.

4. If your post is genuine, please get him to read this and by all means to talk to me.

Regards

4answers.
    simpl2me Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Dec 20, 2006, 09:52 AM
    Ok imation your friends needs help... he had his closure. In more than one way or another. Wouldn't blame her for the suicide thing. But the closure thing is kind of a base to base thing. Some have it right in front of them and others don't. I had a simualr thing with my ex. She left 2 weeks before the wedding after a 5yr relationship. And like most people would ask the one simple word "WHY"? Well never got it answered in anyway. Me being simple u can't fix a proub if not knowing what the proub was. It ate a lot of my time up woundering why. But to any body out there sometimes a answer is good even if it is F^%$ Off would be an answer. But being to aggressive is not good.
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

Dec 21, 2006, 02:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 4answers
    This from personal experience of acting (ashamadly like your friend) has nothing to do with closure.

1. Closure is someone wanting to understand what they did wrong, so they can learn from it. ie, its because you did this, said that, slept with her ...lol.. etc...

2. Your friend is unable to break his emotional conection with this person and cannot break this connection without first realising this !!!!! He is in a fight stage to keep the relationship from going, he cannot see that it is gone. He is acting in a high emotional stage, on emotions felt. You cannot reason with emotions because they are irrational.

3. Look at the article on NO Contact posted previously by myself. Your friend needs to read this. He needs to emotionaly step back from the connection he has with this girl, only then will he be able to see the wood for the trees and be back to his normal self.

4. If your post is genuine, please get him to read this and by all means to talk to me.

Regards

4answers.
    The problem is... that is his normal self. He was like that throughout the entire relationship and his actions haven't really changed since the split.
    jeffatl Posts: 489, Reputation: 83

Dec 21, 2006, 02:06 AM
    I think the word "closure" is over rated... It seems to me to be a way for us to look for answers to things that went wrong in our relationships, but there isn't always an answer for it. People can't always explain why feelings change, but they really "just do". The word "closure" to me means... why things ended, or went wrong. To others, "closure" is justification to the end, and I don't think that is totally fair. A lot of times "closure" just gives us the strength to move past a painfull experience, when it should be something that teaches us what is really imortant and how to better ourselves. I believe that a lot of times we look for too many answers instead of just accepting that "it just didn't work out" this is the time where we drive ourselves CRAZY in looking for answers and punish nobody but US! Think about it... What is closure? MOST of the time it only happens when we find out somoene was cheating, or left us for someone else... Is that really "closure"? I think not... It really seems to be more of a "justification to the end". A lot of people NEED "closure" (including me) to move one, but why? It seems to be a waste of time to look for answers because it really only does more harm than good, you just end up hating the person. It really appers to be part of the healing process. "Closure" is something that we create to help us move past the hurt and enter into the next phase of recovery. I think the longer one looks for "closure" the longer they prolong their recovery.
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 21, 2006, 04:30 AM
    clo·sure /ˈkloʊʒər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kloh-zher] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -sured, -sur·ing.
    –noun 1. the act of closing; the state of being closed.
    2. a bringing to an end; conclusion.
    3. something that closes or shuts.
    4. closer (def. 2).
    5. an architectural screen or parapet, esp. one standing free between columns or piers.
    6. Phonetics. An occlusion of the vocal tract as an articulatory feature of a particular speech sound. Compare constriction (def. 5).
    7. Parliamentary Procedure. A cloture.
    8. Surveying. Completion of a closed traverse in such a way that the point of origin and the endpoint coincide within an acceptably small margin of error. Compare error of closure.
    9. Mathematics. a. the property of being closed with respect to a particular operation.
    b. the intersection of all closed sets that contain a given set.

10. Psychology. a. the tendency to see an entire figure even though the picture of it is incomplete, based primarily on the viewer's past experience.
    b. a sense of psychological certainty or completeness: a need for closure.

11. Obsolete. Something that encloses or shuts in; enclosure.
    –verb (used with object), verb (used without object) 12. Parliamentary Procedure. To cloture.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME < MF < L clausūra. See close, -ure]
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
    clos·er1 /ˈkloʊzər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kloh-zer] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun 1. a person or thing that closes.
    2. Also, closure. Masonry. Any of various specially formed or cut bricks for spacing or filling gaps between regular bricks or courses of regular brickwork.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME. See close, -er1]
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
    American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source clo·sure (klō'zhər) Pronunciation Key
    n.
    The act of closing or the state of being closed: closure of an incision.
    Something that closes or shuts.

A bringing to an end; a conclusion: finally brought the project to closure.
    A feeling of finality or resolution, especially after a traumatic experience.
    See cloture.
    The property of being mathematically closed.

tr.v. clo·sured, clo·sur·ing, clo·sures
    To cloture (a debate).

[Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin clausūra, fortress, lock, from clausus, enclosed; see close. Sense 4, translation of French clôture.]

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source clo·ture (klō'chər) Pronunciation Key
    n. A parliamentary procedure by which debate is ended and an immediate vote is taken on the matter under discussion. Also called closure.

tr.v. clo·tured, clo·tur·ing, clo·tures
    To apply cloture to (a parliamentary debate).

[French clôture, from Old French closture, probably alteration of closure, closure; see closure.]

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    WordNet - Cite This Source closure

noun
    1. approaching a particular destination; a coming closer; a narrowing of a gap; "the ship's rapid rate of closing gave them little time to avoid a collision" [syn: closing]
    2. a rule for limiting or ending debate in a deliberative body
    3. a Gestalt principle of organization holding that there is an innate tendency to perceive incomplete objects as complete and to close or fill gaps and to perceive asymmetric stimuli as symmetric
    4. something settled or resolved; the outcome of decision making; "the finally reached a settlement with the union"; "they never did achieve a final resolution of their differences"; "he needed to grieve before he could achieve a sense of closure" [syn: settlement]
    5. an obstruction in a pipe or tube; "we had to call a plumber to clear out the blockage in the drainpipe" [syn: blockage]
    6. the act of blocking [syn: blockage]
    7. termination of operations; "they regretted the closure of the day care center"

verb
    1. terminate debate by calling for a vote; "debate was closured"; "cloture the discussion"

WordNet® 2.1, © 2005 Princeton University
    Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source
    Main Entry: clo·sure
    Pronunciation: 'klO-zh&r
    Function: noun
    1 a : an act of closing up or condition of being closed up <closure of the eyelids> <early closure of fontanels and sutures —W. A. D. Anderson> b : a drawing together of edges or parts to form a united integument <wound closure by suture immediately after laceration>
    2 : a cap, lid, or stopper for sealing a container (as a serum vial)
    3 : the perception of incomplete figures or situations as though complete by ignoring the missing parts or by compensating for them by projection based on past experience

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.
    On-line Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source
    closure

closure: in CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary

On-line Medical Dictionary, © 1997-98 Academic Medical Publishing & CancerWEB
    Free On-line Dictionary of Computing - Cite This Source
    closure 1. In a reduction system, a closure is a data structure that holds an expression and an environment of variable bindings in which that expression is to be evaluated. The variables may be local or global. Closures are used to represent unevaluated expressions when implementing functional programming languages with lazy evaluation. In a real implementation, both expression and environment are represented by pointers.
    A suspension is a closure which includes a flag to say whether it has been evaluated. The term "thunk" has come to be synonymous with "closure" but originated outside functional programming.
    2. In domain theory, given a partially ordered set, D and a subset, X of D, the upward closure of X in D is the union over all x in X of the sets of all d in D such that x <= d. Thus the upward closure of X in D contains the elements of X and any greater element of D. A set is "upward closed" if it is the same as its upward closure, i.e. any d greater than an element is also an element. The downward closure (or "left closure") is similar but with d <= x. A downward closed set is one for which any d less than an element is also an element.
    ("<=" is written in LaTeX as subseteq and the upward closure of X in D is written \uparrow_\D X).
    (1994-12-16)

The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © 1993-2006 Denis Howe
    Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary (Beta Version) - Cite This Source
    closure [ˈkləuʒə] noun

an act of closing
    Example: the closure of a factory Arabic: إغلاق، إقْفال
    Chinese (Simplified): 关闭
    Chinese (Traditional): 關閉
    Czech: (u)zavření
    Danish: nedlukning
    Dutch: sluiting
    Estonian: sulgemine
    Finnish: sulkeminen
    French: fermeture
    German: die Stillegung
    Greek: (οριστικό) κλείσιμο
    Hungarian: bezárás
    Icelandic: lokun
    Indonesian: penutupan
    Italian: chiusura
    Japanese: 閉鎖
    Korean: 폐쇄
    Latvian: slēgšana
    Lithuanian: uždarymas
    Norwegian: stenging, lukking
    Polish: zamknięcie
    Portuguese (Brazil): fechamento
    Portuguese (Portugal): encerramento
    Romanian: închidere
    Russian: закрытие
    Slovak: uzavretie
    Slovenian: zaprtje
    Spanish: cierre
    Swedish: stängning
    Turkish: kapa(n)ma

Closure has different meanings to different people in different circumstances. It is an important aspect to "moving on" in this world. When my cousin's son was missing for 42 days, with prayed for closure. When we found him dead in the Brooklyn River, we were able to find closure in not worrying anymore about him being alive or dead or possibly tortured by someone. Closure for our family meant that we will always wonder what happened to him. But we were able to bury him. And remember him with love and regret. Not knowing where he was or if someone was torturing him was unbearable for us. For me, I found closure in knowing that he was now safe in the palm of my god's hand. I no longer fear for him. Whatever had happened. It is my hope that someday, someone pays for it. But I have found closure in knowing that he is no longer tortured.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Closure letter [ 7 Answers ]

I was thinking today about the first half of the relationship was very good and how much fun we had... I also remember during that point, she was the one getting me cards and writing me emails and things of that nature. I hardly wrote or gave her anything, and in that sense I think I messed up...

View more questions Search