Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chicoman Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 09:14 PM
    No electrical fire to main relay or fuel pump on my 1990 honda civic dx
    Just like the others one problem after the other my 1990 honda civic dx stopped on me changed fuel filter nothing heard pump kick off and on change pump nothing, check code 16 flashes the injectors change just the main one still would not start change main relay still will not start change switch still nothing change ecu unit still light on ecu don't even come on anymore no power at relay plug or fuel pump.when I hot wire the fuel pump she runs fine don't know which is the hot wire for the relay plug I have a 4 pong relay help help
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 11:10 AM

Many relays have a diagram on them, Many have a Constant hot to the coil of the relay, and am thinking the ground is from the ECM, not the Ignition Switch.
    TXGreasemonkey has Very Good On trouble shooting Hondas to Verify. Then you have the contacts, 1 is to the pump and the other is from another fuse.
    You need to see if you are getting voltage to the coil of the Relay or are you lacking power on the contacts that connects to the pump?

Aug 7, 2010, 08:37 PM

chicoman; I have fire to the coil, what is a ecm,the alt solenoid fuse can't find the wire that goes to main relay its not like a normal fuse box where you can look behind it and follow the wire.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 07:00 AM

The ECM stand for Electronic Control Module(The Brain).
    I would check here, Very good info:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...les-46563.html

Aug 8, 2010, 10:11 AM

I changed the brain twice I call it the ecu, but the relay plug in has no fire on either pong 1,2,3,or for the lite on ecu don't even come on are give a code anymore.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 11:28 AM

I will see if I can find a schematic for your Fuel, CaptainRich is good on schematics and may have a post on this.
    I wouldn't change or replace anything until you have the fuel pump schematic, if you have No hots, it is likely a fuse.
    The Service Manual should be your first purchase.
    Did you look through the link on my above post? Just click on the Blue words, then check out Main Relay, And Relay locations and testing, answers are all there.
    Good Luck
    billyboy49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 09:24 PM
    I have a 1990 Honda civic ex model 1.6L the car runs great in the morning,but in the evening the car will not start.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2012, 05:12 AM
    billyboy49, sounds like the main relay needs replacing. The cold solder joints on the PCB are expanding and losing continuity, during the heat of the day.
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2012, 05:58 AM
    I believe they had a recall on the Ignition switch, It is a real problem:

Honda Accord Ignition Switch Replacement - YouTube

Shows how to test and replace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 honda civic cx fuel pump relay replacement where is the relay [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the fuel pump relay located on a 93 honda civic cx 1.5

93 honda civic main relay / fuel pump [ 1 Answers ]

If a main relay is bad, is it possible to still hear all three clicks? After driving around just fine, I came home and parked the car. The next morning it would not start. Ive had a no start problem a couple times before like when running into a gas station then back out. Obvious sign of a main...

1990 Honda Civic DX Main Relay [ 3 Answers ]

So much of what I have read here is true. I had the usual symptoms of only hard restart when "Hot". This on only hot spring/summer days and shut off at operating temperature and running short errands. Once back in the car it would just crank, and not restart after say 10-15 minutes. I found the...

92 honda civic no fire no fuel-new relay! [ 3 Answers ]

92 honda civic won't start- replaced distributor, fuel pump, and main relay still nothing! If I jump the 5 & 7 terminals on the relay plug the pump will work but that's the only way it will but I still have no fire?? What could this be?? PLEASE HELP!!

89 Honda Civic-fuel pump-main relay [ 3 Answers ]

Have 89 Honda Civic with a carb. Car wouldn't start replaced main relay. However the fuel pump won't work from the main relay. So I bypassed the main relay for a temp solution. The main relay was brand new. I am looking for a permanent solution. Help! & Thanks

View more questions Search