Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 08:51 PM
    Curry Chicken
    Wow, I can't believe I haven't stumbled on this sooner! I LOVE cooking.

This recipe came from an East Indian lady I used to live with, best curried chicken I have ever eaten!

Overall timing 1 1/4 hours
    Serves 4

1 onion
    2 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp oil (peanut oil I prefer, but any will do)
    3 lbs chicken pieces
    2 tbsp FRESH curry
    1 1/4 cup chicken stock (in a pinch I have used the campbells broth)
    1 garlic clove
    2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    2 tbsp salt
    2 tbsp cayenne pepper
    2 tbsp cream

Peel and chop onion. Heat butter and oil in flame proof casserole (large frying pan works fine), cook onion until transparent. Add chicken pieces, a few at a time, and brown on all sides. Sprinkle chicken with curry powder and pour in broth. Add peeled and crushed garlic, lemon, salt, and cayenne pepper. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes over a low heat.

Add cream and cook gently for 10 minutes. Do not boil. Serve with plain boiled rice and pita with Tziki, or lemon potatoes.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 08:57 PM

Yummy... Bella.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 08:52 PM
    I guess I should have asked that here. New skin a little confusing, but getting better.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 08:54 PM
    What is "FRESH" curry? I have used powdered only.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I guess I should have asked that here. New skin a little confusing, but getting better.
    I don't know where to buy fresh curry.:eek:
    Dogs Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 09:42 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I have some spices in my cupboards, that are probably as old as I am :0 So I just meant, fresh as in recently bought. Any of the pre-packaged stuff is fine, if you can get it from an Indian or Ethnic cooking section or store, all the better :)
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I have some spices in my cupboards, that are probably as old as I am :0 So I just meant, fresh as in recently bought. Any of the pre-packaged stuff is fine, if you can get it from an Indian or Ethnic cooking section or store, all the better :)
    Thanks Bella.:D
    Dogs Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 10:12 AM

No problem, glad to share! Now, does any one have any recipes for Zucchini loaf? I've never made it, or tried it for that matter, but I bought a giant Zucchini at a yard sale for .25 cents!! I found a recipe on line but it calls for "soda", so umm what kind of soda are they talking about?
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 10:28 AM

Ingredients
    3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3 cups sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    4 eggs, beaten
    1/3 cup water
    2 cups grated zucchini
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine oil, eggs, water, zucchini and lemon juice. Mix wet ingredients into dry, add nuts and fold in. Bake in 2 standard loaf pans, sprayed with nonstick spray, for 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean. Alternately, bake in 5 mini loaf pans for about 45 minutes.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 8, 2010, 10:33 AM

Excellent! I'll be sure to post a pic when I am done Kit!
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Excellent! I'll be sure to post a pic when I am done Kit!
    Okay... get cooking:D
    Dogs Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 10:04 AM

Well Kit, I have to say I was quite intimidated by this recipe. Although I absolutely love cooking, a baker I am not! I usually stick to bannock type breads, because as hard as you try there isn't much to screw up with bannock bread! I thought this recipe was intimidating only because of the amount of ingredients.

I must say I really enjoyed making the zucchini bread. I modified the ingredients just a tad. I didn't have any cinnamon, so I used a teaspoon of vanilla and a sprinkle of brown sugar. I also added fresh blueberries from the garden.

The prep time was minimal, although I really wasn't sure of what the consistency was supposed to be like, but I compared it to banana bread. I took pictures along the way. Let me tell you my first experience of baking and eating zucchini loaf was awesome! Thanks for the great recipe, my father who hates anything zucchini related is actually excited to try my loaf!

Not sure if the Mods want to put this recipe in it's own thread (or just change the name to "Recipe Sharing" or something more creative), it is definitely worth the try! :D

I should also note, that I only had one bread pan and no muffin tins, so I had to cook one at a time, and I did NOT have to reduce the cooking time at all. Oh, and it was like +35c today, not the best day for baking :p
    Attached Images

Dogs Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 10:05 AM

Some more pics. Sorry they are so huge :(

Then last one is my much deserved reward for a job well done! :D
    Attached Images

Dogs Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 10:05 AM

Thought you might like this recipe as well:

* 1 zucchini about 12 inches long, or 6 medium ones
    * 3 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1/2 cup chopped onion
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced
    * 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
    * 2 tablespoons dry white wine
    * 1 pound ground turkey
    * 2 diced tomatoes
    * 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    * 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
    * 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    * 1 egg, lightly beaten
    * 2 teaspoons salt
    * 2 teaspoons pepper

Method

1 Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out insides, leaving shells about 1/4 inch thick. Reserve about half of the insides.

2 Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add mushrooms and reserved zucchini insides, and sauté another 2 minutes.

3 In a separate skillet heat a Tbsp of olive oil on medium high heat. Add the ground turkey. Lightly brown the turkey, stirring only occasionally. After the turkey browns on one side, stir it so that it has a chance to brown on other sides. Cook until the ground turkey is lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the onion and mushroom mixture from the other pan. Add the wine. Stir in tomato, basil and rosemary and cook 1 minute longer. Drain any excess fat. Remove mixture from heat and set it aside.

4 When mixture has cooled, add cheese, egg, salt and pepper. Fill zucchini shells with mixture. Fill a baking pan with 1/4 inch of water. Place filled zucchini halves in pan and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, until golden brown. Remove zucchini from pan and serve while hot.

Serves 4.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks for sharing this! Just found this page because of a link you provided elsewhere... :)

I much prefer baking myself, not overly fond of cooking, so this works a treat for me!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 11:22 AM
    There are a wide variety of curry mixes and pastes.
    For some sweetness in your curry add a couple of dollops of mango chitney.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 11:23 AM
    Then last one is my much deserved reward for a job well done! :D
    I recognized the Alpine right away. ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks Bella... The zucchini bread looks great.

Going to try the recipe you gave for zucchini.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 11:41 AM

Well glad you found this D! It was a nice surprise that this turned out so well for me. Thanks for the recipe Kit.

NK, got to love the Alpine! :D
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 11:55 AM
    Well glad you found this D! It was a nice surprise that this turned out so well for me. Thanks for the recipe Kit.

NK, gotta love the Alpine! :D

My sister has a recipe for sourdough and cranberry bread. Do you know a good recipe for sourdough starter? If not I can give you one.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chicken Stock vs. Chicken Broth? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first time asking of you Gentle Folks. I've recently found the advantage to using canned chicken broth to start my chicken soups and other dishes. However, what's the difference between "chicken stock" and "chicken broth"? It has come up because I have a couple of coupons for...

How do I stop chicken pecking chicken [ 2 Answers ]

Help, rescued 6 featherless battery hens, they're recovering well, except one who is picked on, pecked and generally not refeathering- due to attack I think. Should she be isolated? For how long and at bedtime too?

A horse and a chicken [ 3 Answers ]

A horse and a chicken are playing in a meadow. Suddenly the horse falls into a mud hole and starts sinking. He tells the chicken to go and get the farmer to help pull him out to safety. The chicken runs to the farmer, but the farmer can't be found. So he drives the farmer's Mercedes back to...

Curry Powder [ 4 Answers ]

If a recipe calls for curry powder and I don't have any in the house, what can I replace it with? Thanks!

Chicken or the egg? [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know which one came first the chicken or the egg? Or is anyone ever going to find out what the answer is? Here's another one " If a tree falls in the middle of the forest and noone is around does it make a sound?" I would like to see how everyone responds to these. Have a...

View more questions Search