Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronzu2010 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 07:26 PM
    Water damage by plumber, landlord's insurance company asking damarage to me.what can
    Hi, I live in upper level of a house. My land lord lives in down level. I asked my land lord to change the 30 years old sink my kitchen. He sent a plumber on January 13th, 2010. Plumber changed the sink. After finish his job, he asked me not to use kitchen till next day afternoon. I bought drinking water, one time plate glasses and dry food for my kids and family from grocery and use my dining room as kitchen. Also I brought my micro oven in my dining room to avoid get in my kitchen. Next day at morning 6:30 am, when my wife entered in kitchen to bring milk from fridge, she saw the kitchen floor was flooded. We called the land lord and he called the plumber. They found the sink was over flowed. The real fact was. The plumber closed the 2 sink plugs and didn’t close the cap properly after finish his work. Whole night it was dropping water from cap in the sink and also sink's drain plug was closed by plumber. At night when water pressure went up then it started overflow the sink and flooded the kitchen. After 4 days land lord's insurance company sent investigating team. I explained the true story. The insurance company paid up his claim amounting $8700 to my land lord on February. Now, after 7 months the insurance company sends me a letter to recover the damage cost from me. I didn't make any fault. So, why do I have to pay for this cost of damage? Please provide me what I have to do now? Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 07:54 PM

So you answer them and deny that you did anything, supply them the name and address of the plumber who was liable.

Just don't admit any fault, don't talk to them on the phone where you may say something wrong.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 01:07 PM

Landlord hired the plumber, not you. Not your fault.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance company refusing to pay with water leaking in wall damage [ 5 Answers ]

I hopefully can alert others to the nightmare I am living with/facing now! After years of paying ALLSTATE for my condo homeowner's coverage, I find they have abandoned me. Assume all other policies/companies are the same. I take EXCEPTIONAL care and precautions against leaks under my sinks,...

Plumber I have a sulfur smell coming from my cold water faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sulfer smell coming out of my cold water pipe. I have a total 5 bathroom sinks, 1 jaquezz 2 showers, 3 toilets. None of them have this smell except this 1 cold water faucet in the master bathroom. When you run the water for awhile the smell goes away. What can be causing this and is it...

Landlord's right to Security Deposit for damage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question which I cannot find an answer to anywhere online and I am trying to make certain that I stay within the law. I own a home in California, which I had to rent out due to the economy, so I am not practiced in the laws concerning this. The tenant moved in mid February and I retained...

Plumber is ripping us off for the damage he caused [ 12 Answers ]

This is super, super frustrating. We're in Texas and there should be laws against a contractor causing damage on your property - to the property and then charging you to fix it. It is absolutely a nightmare!! We had a gas leak at our outside riser. A plumber came and said he'd fix it. After...

Shower water leaks through ceiling plumber says pipes OK [ 7 Answers ]

Our shower leakes through to the ceiling. Plumbers have bee here, tearing up ceilings, etc, reinstalled tile wall around tub, recaulked and sealed. The last plumber says our pipes are OK, no leaking. He thinks the leak is coming from threshold. Is is possible that water goes through tile walls...

View more questions Search