Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 01:22 PM
    Guinea pig nails
    I have two guinea pigs who are in desperate need of a pedicure. I've clipped there nails a few times myself... But I am scared to cut too much so I barely cut any off and there curling. One has grown "spurs" and they need to be removed as well. Should I contact a vet or a groomer? Vets do dog and cat nails so I am assuming they'd do them. I'm just wondering would they make them get vet checked and such?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 01:23 PM

Either a groomer or a vet - the groomer in my area only grooms dogs and cats and refers all other animals and birds to a Vet.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 01:25 PM

All right.
    Thank you I'll check with the vet then. Do you know if they'd make me get them checked out? I don't have enough money for them to be looked over by the vet I just want there nails trimmed (There healthy so they don't really need it)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 03:47 PM

I have a wonderful little nail clipper that I use for my dogs and the bunnies. It has a led light attached. You hold the light up to the nail and you can see through it, see the quick (sp?) so that you don't cut too short.

We got it at Petsmart.

If they're curling then I'd let the vet do it, but for next time, look for the clipper, it's much cheaper then always having to find a groomer or making a trip to the vet.
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 03:50 PM

If you can't find it in a store;

China Trader Online - Wholesale Products from China - Professional Chinese wholesaler

Picture

Name:  1144556.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  29.8 KB
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 03:53 PM

Could you see the quick if there nails are black? One of them has white nails so it's pretty easy (other than a squeeks after every nail no matter how much you cutt off). The other one has black nails... Him I'm more worried about.
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 04:17 PM

My beagle has black and white nails, it's part of the breed. I can see through his black nails as easily as the white. However, my labs nails, I can't see through, but his are very thick, mostly due to his age and breed.

Guinea pig nails are very similar to rabbit nails, I can't see why it wouldn't work on the black piggy nails. :)

Emily, I see that you're in Canada. If you're near Edmonton, I would be more than happy to come over and cut the nails for you. Don't feel that you need to tell me where you are though. Just an offer. I know I would be broke if I had to take my 3 dogs and my 4 rabbits to get their nails cut. ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 04:22 PM

I'd love to except but I'm a few provinces over. Manitoba to be exact...
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 04:30 PM

That's a bit far to travel. ;)

I can give you tips. I've never cut piggy nails, but like I said, they're very similar to rabbit nails, and I cut all four of my rabbits nails weekly. They're so accustomed to it that they actually just sit in my lap, and all 4 take a total of 10 minutes to cut, that includes taking them out of their cage, and putting them back.

You did say that the nails are curling though, so a vet is the best for this go round. While you're there, ask for tips. Vets are more than happy to show you how to cut your pets nails at home. Groomers, not so much, they want you to come back so they can charge.

My vet never charges for a nail clipping. Just fyi. ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 08:25 PM

There not really curly, there just starting to curl..
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 11:02 AM

Do rabbits get "spurs"? If so have you ever had to cut them off? Name:  foot.bmp
Views: 1072
Size:  183.9 KB
    I've uploaded a photo of it, I don't really know how to deal with it. The internet says I can just cut it off... I don't think some write up online is very reputable (It's okay, I trust you guys though :) )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bunny? Or guinea pig? Which is better? [ 23 Answers ]

I am getting one or the other. (bunny,guinea pig) Which do you think is better? Any other small pets I could get? I know I don't want a ferret cause they smell really bad but I'm not sure if bunnies have a strong scent.:confused:

Guinea Pig [ 5 Answers ]

My guinea pig is always pooing( seriously) if I want to hold him I have to have a paper towel on my lap. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Guinea Pig [ 3 Answers ]

Yeh I had 2 male guinea pigs and 1 died they were just over 1 and I'm not sure what to do because I no the other 1 s v.lonely someone said I should have it put down I'm not sure if I buy a new one would they fight?

My guinea pig died [ 2 Answers ]

Last month I got 2 guinea pigs (one was almost a year old and the other one was a couple months old (father+son)) from my mom as a gift from graduation. They both lived together, one cage for the day, one for the night. They ate the same (washed grass, apples, lettuce, carrrots, and fiber. They...

Guinea Pig mites? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know if this is the right area to post a question like this. I have 4 guinea pigs and the oldest one has mites. So I looked on the internet and ivermectin at my local country store is only 8 dollars and it comes in a paste form in a tube. If I went to the vet that takes care of exotic pets...

View more questions Search