Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    realtyseeker Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 5, 2010, 10:55 AM
    Title search
    I'm buying an REO property. The bank decides who will be the title company. I've read online that the title companies used by the banks sometimes make mistakes and don't do a thorough job. Is there merit in hiring my own title company to do a search? Would that be an unusual practice?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 11:15 AM
    You could do that but I wouldn't bother. As long as you buy their title company's policy you're covered. If they make a mistake then they have to fix it.

If it would make you feel more comfortable you could always hire your own title company to do a search, compare it to the bank's search and then just pay for your search but not buy the policy from your company, and buy the policy from the bank's title company instead.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 11:24 AM

Yes, it would be unusual. Title searches are not rocket science. Yes, people can make mistakes, but that's why you buy title insurance - just in case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Search For title of this movie [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, There was a funny movie about a man trying to take care of his elderly parent, but they kept doing strange things to try and kill themselves, I think. And the father always talked about going McDonalds. If anyone knows the title of this movie it would greatly appreciated.:)

Title search [ 5 Answers ]

Are there any free title search web sites to do a title search on a mobile home?:)

Quite title search [ 3 Answers ]

When we sold our home the title company held money back and placed it into an account as when we originally purchased that home we borrowed money from the seller. We made payments through a the real estate agency that represented the seller. After a period the payments started coming back...

Title Search [ 1 Answers ]

How can I perfrom Title Search on my home?

Title search [ 2 Answers ]

I suppose to go to settlement of Friday, and now the title people cannot find the title, the bank that held the title went bankrupt and now they cannot find the title of the house, we had lined up all the utility people, painters, cleaning people and locksmiths now I don't know what to do, the...

View more questions Search