Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angel1984 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 03:57 PM
    Does a step father have rights if no father is listed on birth certificate
    My daughter is 8yrs and my husband has been the one that has taken care of her since she was 2 yrs. Her bio father isn't listed on her because but we have had a dna test done. He doesn't want to be part of her life but doesn't know if he wants to sign over his rights! Does my husband have any rights or is he responsible for her?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2010, 04:00 PM

First, this is a legal question so has been moved from the Children forum. Please take more care in choosing a forum to post in.

Second, ANY question of law needs to include your general area as laws vary. Some areas would give your husband some rights. Others would give him no rights unless he adopts.
    angel1984 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 04:03 PM

We live in Indiana
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2010, 06:55 PM

The bio father has the right to go to court to ask for levels of custody and/or to ask for visits. Even without the DNA tests but he would have then had a right to ask for a DNA test.

Have you ever filed for child support ? ( if not he does not even owe any back support normally) but he has a obligation to pay it, if you have filed for it.

So does bio father have rights, yes but only the right to go to court and request that he be given those rights.

And to be blunt, most bio fathers who are not sure about signing rights over but are not paying support, get a lot more sure about signing them over when served with child support papers.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 12:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by angel1984 View Post
    Does my husband have any rights or is he responsible for her??
    Your husband is her step father.Thus he does not have any rights but he has some obligations while he is in loco parentis/in place of a parent/...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No father listed on birth certificate for UAE embassy authentication [ 0 Answers ]

Hello! My daughter's is 8 and on her birth certificate, the father's name is not mentioned and was not acknowledge by her biological father since birth. We don't have any contact anymore ever since. Now I sent my daughter's birth certificate for authentication at DFA and UAE Embassy. However the...

Washington State Adoption: There is no father listed on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

OK... so in the last month of our relationship I got pregnant. Didn't know until a month after that. Took the respectful route and told him before anyone else. He gave me every excuse to get rid of the baby. "i would be a terrible father" "you don't want to have kids with me" "i should go back to...

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt [ 15 Answers ]

I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?

Rights of a father not listed on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Louisiana and am pregnant with my first child. The father of the baby has expressed no interest in the baby and will not be listed on the birth certificate. What rights, if any will he have even if he isn't listed on the birth certificate?

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search