Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shafer911 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Consesual Termination of Parental Rights
    My fiancé has residential custody of his son. The biological mother of the child would like to consensually terminate parental rights to him. Where do we go to look for this paperwork, short of hiring a lawyer? What paperwork would be needed in order to do this mutually between ourselves? We want this to be as simple and straight forward as possible. Please help!
    snowman Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 12:35 PM
    I've seen do it yourself divorce kits in drug stores or book stores they might have something like that for you're situation but a lawyer should be able to let you know what you could do in you're free 1/2 hr consultation
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Are you planning on adopting the child? If not, then I see no reason for a formal termination. And generally the courts won't allow it. Relinquishing parental rights is usually done only when the child is being adopted. If the birth mother doesn't want to be a part of his life anymore then she just doesn't do so. No reason to formalize it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 19, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Scott is correct, although each court differs from state law to state law, and often from judge to judge within districts as to how judges believe the law should work.

But if the party that has custody is married and the other partner wishes to adopt, then the court will allow formal termination of all rights and OBLIGATIONS. But normally the courts will not allow a person to give up their obigation to pay child support, since at some point in the future,if the custodial parent gets on welfare at some level, the state then has a obligation to attempt to collect for the child to repay the state some of its money.

The non custody parent does not have to ever see the child, and you can't even force them to see the child, but you can not just agree not to have child support done

Do they have a formal child custody agreement in place with the court, if not that needs to be done,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do I relinquish my parental rights as a father. My ex-wife has full custody and will not allow me near her or my child.

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Termination of Parental Rights in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Once the parental rights of the biological parents have been terminated, does that mean the relationship of all biological relatives are also terminated?

View more questions Search