Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OSOWLaf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 11:00 AM
    Population of 17,920 with an avg score of 1161, how many have a score over 1,000
    I am trying to find out - if I have a population of 17,920 with an average score of 1161, what is the population whose score is over 1,000?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 4, 2010, 12:32 PM

It's imposible to say. You need to know the standard deviation of the scores in order to determine this. If you know the standard deviation s, then the "Z-score" you're interested in is:

z = (1161-1000)/s

Then you can look up the percnetage of a normally distributed population whose z-score is within z of the mean. That gives you the percentage with scores from 1000 to 1161. In addition you know that 50% of the population scored higher than the mean of 1161, so you add 50% to this to ge the total percentage that got 1000 or better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brigance score of 90 on pre school test, what does it mean? Is it a good score? [ 1 Answers ]

A score of 90 on the brigance pre school test for a student who is 4 years 4 months old. What does it mean? Is it a good swcore?

Can't score [ 1 Answers ]

Hey.. I am 21 from Denmark.. I have never had a relationsship with a girl before, and never really been in love, but I am to GIRLS. I don't even have some girl-friendships, and I miss all that. Its like there is something missing in my life.. :( When I talk to girls, is only when I am...

SAT Score [ 1 Answers ]

I am a freshman in high school and I took a practice SAT test just to see what it was like since I'll be taking it for real soon, so yeah, I didn't have any training or taken any practice classes or anything like that and I got a 1600. Is that good? Bad? Average? Or at least good for not taking any...

What's the score? [ 1 Answers ]

Hiya, My husband was left holding a huge amount of debt.. much to his dismay he has no choice other than to bankrupt himself.. he's been down many roads and feels this is his last option.. it's not something we are taking lightly.. We currently have 3 children and last one on its way.. we drive a...

What is the z score [ 8 Answers ]

Setting µ = 60 and σ = 7 What score falls at z = -1.96

View more questions Search