Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Dec 19, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Banking information
    Can any one tell me the process of a creditor taking your banking account I know a judgement has to awarded but why does the bank give out your information? How do they know where you bank at I am so confused!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Who said the bank gives out the info? There are a number of ways the creditor can find the info.

The process is that the creditor sues you. If they win the suit, they are awarded a judgement to collect the amount owed. If you still refuse to pay, they, then have to find your assets to attach them. There are a number of ways they can do this.

Once they find the account, they then serve the bank with a copy of the judgement at which time the bank has to attach the specific account.

Dec 19, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Who said the bank gives out the info? There are a number of ways the creditor can find the info.

The process is that the creditor sues you. if they win the suit, they are awarded a judgement to collect the amount owed. If you still refuse to pay, they, then have to find your assets to attach them. There are a number of ways they can do this.

Once they find the account, they then serve the bank with a copy of the judgement at which time the bank has to attach the specific account.

Thanks
    What are the ways that the creditors useto find your exact account .My account was attached by mistake and it took forever and an apology from the bank to get it straight I guess what I am asking is how do they locate it what are they looking at when they are trying to attach a bank account I do not want this to happen again
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2006, 11:59 AM
    If it was by mistake file and notice with the court to quash it.

But you must proof a mistake happen and you arethe the party to the judgment.

Dec 19, 2006, 12:32 PM
    There are several possibilities, I can't list all of them nor can I give away trade secrets. ;)

It is unusual for a mistake to be made. The creditor has to show the exact account.

Dec 21, 2006, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    There are several possibilities, I can't list all of them nor can I give away trade secrets. ;)

It is unusual for a mistake to be made. The creditor has to show the exact account.

It may be unusual for a mistake to be made but it was! It was an error and the bank took care of it and I did receive a letter of apology I just wanted to know how that mistake could have happened and the fact of it was the creditor was from a place I had never dealt with and they admitted it!! I am so scared of banks now that I will only
    Leave an account open to cash my checks! If it can happen to me it can happen to anyone. I do not want any trade secrets I just can't understand how it happened.The bank and creditor tried to explain but I still do not understand all I know is I will not use
    A bank for saving any money again!

Dec 21, 2006, 12:37 PM
    What explanation did they give. Maybe if you told us we can translate it for you.

I can understand your fear, but nothing is perfect. Mistakes can be made. There are millions of bank accounts that never have this happen. You just got unlucky. To not use banks because of this mistake is like staying in your house for fear of a lightning strike.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banking [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My husband to be. Is having a problem with getting a bank account . And we have paid the collection agency that we needed to pay . But it takes 30 to 90 days to fix. But we need the money now . I was wondering if he could sign th check over to me and I deposit it in my account. While the bank...

Safe custody in banking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi What are the advantages or disadventages for a bank for providing free safe custody services to its customers? Please help me with this 600 words assignment. Many thanks:cool: Patrick

Banking overdraft [ 1 Answers ]

Three years ago I incured a large overdraft on my checking account through an error made by my bank. I went to the bank to open a GL account to pay the balance but never paid it off. What legal action can the bank take against me if I'm not at fault for the debt? Is there a statue of limitation?

Banking large sums of money [ 3 Answers ]

If I have come into a large amount of money, more than $300,000, and want to place it into one account, what bank accepts this amount as a balance, or any amount over $100,000? Thanks

Banking and the UCC [ 2 Answers ]

Just information for you to read about banking. http://www.lawresearchgroup.com/articles/article.php?story=20060102011133226;)

View more questions Search