Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mom2673 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2010, 07:02 PM
    Sony Vaio PCG-7184L laptop battery
    Hi;
    I just got a used Sony Vaio PCG-7184L laptop. I used it for a while and then was notified that I had to charge the battery. I plugged it in to charge and then noticed the battery light is flashing orange every second. I can power on the system but only for a minute and then I get a message stating I do not have enough power and the system is shutting down.

Is it normal with this type of laptop for the battery to flash while charging? I have only had the kind where the light stays steady but I could still use the laptop even though it was charging.
    Thank you for your help and I look forward to your response.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 07:20 PM

Their site may have the manual.
    I have 1.
    If it doesn't power up, I would:
    Unplug AC Supply, unplug large battery for about 10 seconds, plug battery back in, plug in ac to a known good receptacle, leave it set for a minute, then try powering on, if it goes on, viiew charging indicator, if very low, turn back off and let it charge a bit. Then back on.
    Also try clicking or movement on the touch pad to maybe wake up.

Aug 3, 2010, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Thier site may have the manual.
    I have 1.
    If it doesn't power up, I would:
    Unplug AC Supply, unplug large battery for about 10 seconds, plug battery back in, plug in ac to a known good recepticle, leave it set for a minute, then try powering on, if it goes on, viiew charging indicator, if very low, turn back off and let it charge a bit. then back on.
    Also try clicking or movement on the touch pad to maybe wake up.
    Hi;
    Thank you for responding. I think I should have just gotten right to the question rather than adding all the other stuff. All I really want to know is - is it normal for the battery to flash while charging? I just don't know if the battery is actually charging or is it doing something else, like warning me about something?

I have already went through everything you had suggested so at least I know I was on the right track, so thank you for that. The first thing I did was go on the Sony site and download all the manuals about the laptop but nothing really says about the battery flashing so I was hoping to get answers on the internet.
    Thank you again for assisting me though.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 06:02 AM

I will dig out the sony later.
    If not in the Manual. I would unplug and plug in the AC and see which indicator that is, see what percent of power you have, look at indicator, unplug to see what the indicators do.
    Do you see anything like 98% Charging, or can't get there?
    Is there any change when you plug in the charger? Verify where you are plugging into. I have seen people plug power into the Network Jack.
    Can't find your Model, Do you see a VGN NUmber?
    What happens when you plug and unplug the charger?
    If no effect, verify power at charging plug, maybe around 19 volts.

Aug 4, 2010, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I will dig out the sony later.
    If not in the Manual. I would unplug and plug in the AC and see which indicator that is, see what percent of power you have, look at indicator, unplug to see what the indicators do.
    Do you see anything like 98% Charging, or can't get there?
    Is there any change when you plug in the charger? Verify where you are plugging into. I have seen people plug power into the Network Jack.
    Can't find your Model, Do you see a VGN NUmber?
    What happens when you plug and unplug the charger?
    If no effect, verify power at charging plug, maybe around 19 volts.
    Hi;

I have it plugged into the correct port. I cannot get it to power on, which really isn't too much of a concern since from what I am reading a lot about this seems to be an issue with Sony Vaio that if the battery is dead you cannot get into the system.

Anyway, I did verify it is only the battery light that flashes (and no other lights) when I plug it in to charge. I would ASSume the charger should be giving the correct volts since it is the one that goes with it.
    I just don't want to leave it plugged in if it isn't supposed to be flashing when charging.

When I try to power on the laptop then all the lights flash intermittently, the system powers on for a minute. I then get a message "Restoring Windows" - then followed by another message - "System is shutting down due to battery power" (or something along those lines)

Thanks again for your help - keep it coming, I am sure you are going to hit on something for me.
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 06:43 AM

Did you remove the battery and reinstall it, do with the AC unplugged, you may have to slide a couple of releases to remove, 10-15 seconds can work, then reinstall.

Aug 4, 2010, 07:12 AM

I did as you suggested - removed the battery and waited about 20 seconds - plugged it back in but the battery light still flashes. I just don't know if it is charging or not! This is driving me crazy and I think I am going to bring it to a repair place today so they can say if it is supposed to flash or not when charging. Thank you so very much for all your help. I really do appreciate it.

Aug 4, 2010, 07:34 AM

Hi
    I wanted to let you know I just got the answer to my question. The battery should NOT be flashing if it is charging. I just now spoke online with a Rep from Sony and hey had me clean the terminals with an eraser. NOW the battery is solid orange and charging. Apparently there was something on the terminal blocking a complete charge.

Thank you again for all your help with this. I did't feel so left out in the cold!
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 08:25 AM

Which terminals? Battery?
    Glad you got her going.

Aug 4, 2010, 08:30 AM

When you remove the battery, there are terminals at the top center. I had to gently rub them with a pencil eraser and then brush the area on the battery that connects to the terminals.
    GregoryEyebrows Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 12:30 PM
    Thanks for your article. I had that same problem with my dell. I would like to make my <a href="http://replacebatterynow.com">replacement laptop battery</a> last longer than my original.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sony Vaio Laptop won't start! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-C1Z (or VGN-C1Z/B) laptop, I have had it for 3 years this chrstmas and it was new when I bought it, so I am the only owner. I have never had problems with it before, I have good internet security, AVG updates every day and scans every day and I am careful about what...

Sony Vaio PCG-K23 512MB to 1GB mem upgrade problem [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K23 which came preinstalled with 2 x 256MB Infineon HYS64D32020GDL-7-B PC2100 SO-DIMMs. I recently purchased 2 x 512MB Patriot Memory PSD512333S PC2700 SO-DIMMs hoping to replace the Infineon SO-DIMMs and bring it up to the maximum capability of 1GB. I realise that the PC2700...

Sony Vaio PCG-K315Z 512Mb to 1Gb upgrade problem [ 6 Answers ]

I have a similar question of ClubMan, posted one year ago. I've tried to update my PCG-K315 to 1Gb using 2 modules of 512 Mb each but the system continues viewing only 512 Mb total. On Sony official website the RAM specs to upgrade are: 512 MB RAM PC2700 DDR SDRAM. I was unable to buy the RAM...

Sony vaio laptop keyboard [ 1 Answers ]

The lap top is 3 years old and the keyboard does not work. In "WORD" the letter "V" continuously runs on and on. The computer tries to open files beginning with the letter "V" like, Vaio Recovery, and any program beginning with the letter "V". You can still use the mouse pad only. My question,...

Sony Vaio PCG-K27 Bios Problem [ 9 Answers ]

I am having an issue with my notebook. I forgot the password that I put on it a year ago when I bought it. I need to know either how to remove this password, or what tools are needed to remove it. I am willing to take it to a service center, but I cannot afford to send it to the Sony facility in...

View more questions Search