Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    degonias Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2010, 09:17 AM
    42a707 starter wiring
    I have a yard machine mtd660 with engine 42a707. I went to start and it just clicks. I replaced solenoid , battery and starter and nothing helped. I tried to bypass the solenoid and cables and hooked a direct cable from battery to starter but all I get is firework sparks. Its as if I have a grounding problem or my ignition switch is bad?? Help please.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 3, 2010, 04:23 PM

Hi,
    I would say the pinion on the starter is damaged and wedged in the ring gear of the flywheel. The solenoid is what is clicking and since it is new that would indicate another problem. Try turning the engine counter clockwise by placing both hands on the flywheel screen, pressing down and turning. Then try and see if that changes things. If ii will not turn, that may be a bad omen or the pinion is really jammed.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    degonias Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 04:23 AM

Nope-I mentioned the starter and solenoid are new-I can observe the pinion and it does not move. It acts like all the old stuff I just pulled off.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 4, 2010, 08:42 AM

Hi,
    I gather that you are saying that all you hear is the click of the solenoid. If there is the click and the pinion spins but never rises to meet the ring gear, it means the battery is connected backwards.
    You should have sparks if trying to jump to the starter as it is a high current/low resistance motor.
    Please go on!
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need the wiring diagram for a 40" 12 horse, wiring for solonid&starter [ 3 Answers ]

I need the wiring diagram for a 12 horse murray 40" cut approx 2000 model is 40605B from the solonid to starter

Wiring starter on mower [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire a new switch on my 15 hp gravly what wire to where

Starter wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced the piston rings and I want to use a remote switch on the starter to crank the engine,but I'm not understanding on how to wire up the starter to the remote. Thank you

Starter wiring diagram [ 3 Answers ]

What does the wiring diagram for a lawn tractor starter look like?

View more questions Search