Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aprovencher24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 08:52 PM
    15 years and still hurts!
    It has been 15 years since my father has died and I just found out yesturday it wasn't due to a brain tumor it was the fact that he hung himself. All due my mother being selfish on not giving me to him after the divorse. It so hard to think that he could still be here. That I could have a father a dad to play with a dad to talk to... I miss him and I wish he had just given me the chance to talk him out of it... I love you dad!!
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2010, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprovencher24 View Post
    it has been 15 years since my father has died and i just found out yesturday it wasnt due to a brain tumor it was the fact that he hung himself. all due my mother being selfish on not giving me to him after the divorse. it so hard to think that he could still be here. that i could have a father a dad to play with a dad to talk to.... i miss him and i wish he had just given me the chance to talk him out of it.... i love you dad!!!!!
    He knew you loved him, that's why he fought for you. Always remember that, he fought for you... Kit:)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2010, 07:20 AM
    it has been 15 years since my father has died and i just found out yesturday it wasnt due to a brain tumor it was the fact that he hung himself. all due my mother being selfish on not giving me to him after the divorse. it so hard to think that he could still be here. that i could have a father a dad to play with a dad to talk to.... i miss him and i wish he had just given me the chance to talk him out of it.... i love you dad!!!!!

I think that since this news is still fresh in your mind, that you should start your own thread. You can get some good help here with the subject.

God bless you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 07:29 AM

This should be a new thread and I have requested that it be moved.

I know you are grieving and attempting to find your way through your grief but it is wrong, indeed, to blame your mother for your father's suicide. There is no "giving children" to the other party. It's all arranged by Law and for whatever reason at that moment in time your mother had custody of you.

Your father could have waited and then filed (presumably again) for custody of you.

I know sometimes anger is an easier emotion than grief but I would not entirely blame your mother.

I've posted this before - a dear, dear friend of mine killed herself some years ago after losing a similar Motion in Court. Her son and daughter blame their father for her (their mother's) suicide. The truth remains that my friend was unstable, the Court was concerned that her instability would cause harm to her or the children, the father was awarded custody, my friend decided not to go on and fight for her children and ended her life. By ending her life she left her children with no contact with her whatsoever - no visits, no holidays, nothing. Her youngest child does not even remember her.

Was the Court right? It appears that perhaps it was. Maybe if she had custody of the children this never would have happened; maybe she was "destined" to kill herself. We'll never know.

I didn't, of course, know your father and/or his history but I find it difficult to believe that he committed suicide, thus never seeing you again, rather than staying alive and seeing you on the Court's terms and eventually trying to get custody.

You need to speak to a professional to sort all this out.

As it happens I was widowed. I know the grief of losing someone, how long the grief goes on, the emotions you are going through. If you don't want to poison the rest of your life you have to find some answers.

I wish you luck.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Aug 3, 2010, 12:12 PM

Judy, I have to spread it but wanted you to know I absolutely agree with everything you wrote here. I hope Aprovencher takes some comfort in what you have written and seeks the help you have advised him/her to.
    Aprovencher24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 03:44 PM
    I'm not blaming my mother, I know it was his decision ultimately but of course when anyone grieves they do the "what ifs" and that's what I'm doing. It will take a little while to get over it but its just hard right now...
    bdaino Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Apr 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
    I came to this old, old post to talk to myself really. I read about Aprovencher and his father... how he has those feelings of loss, guilt, sorrow. But then there is me. Two years have passed since this news... I'm sure he is like any normal person, he probably collected his mind and moved on, finding peace within himself like a strong willed person usually can. I envy him. My one and only girlfriend died about four years ago... but her memory and the repercussions still rattle me on a daily basis. Just a week or so ago I started finding things... repressed memories I think... of time I spent with her. I just wish I could be done and move on. Why can't I? Everybody else finds a way... therapy, time, new love. Here I am, single and sad... so very sad. I want my Abbey back. I want to hold her, to talk to her, to love her again. I miss her.
    Love... takes... time.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Not everyone moves on. I have found that the "flashback" memories never stop. The pain gets less, certainly, but the memories - I haven't found that they stop.

It's not about "normal" (whatever that means) people or being strong willed. It's grief. Different people handle it in different ways. Four years is not a long time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sore throat and itchy ears and it hurts really hurts been having a cough and mucus [ 4 Answers ]

It started with just a sore throat and the next day it was again sore but now it started to hurt when I swallow, now my ears have been itching and so does my throat and there is pain. On my right ear I really can't hear and my throat is really red and I feel it swollen like if its going to close,...

If charged six years jail time and 4 years probation will you serve all 6 years jail [ 2 Answers ]

My exhusband was charged with theft by bring stolen property into state, theft by taking, theft by receiving stolen property, criminal trespass, aggravated cruelty to animals, removal of id items from animals. His sentence is 6 years jail time and 4 years probation. Will he serve all 6 years jail...

If charged six years jail time and 4 years probation will you serve all 6 years jail [ 1 Answers ]

My exhusband has never execised his visitation rights of our twin girls. We have been divorced for 7 1/2 years. He is in jail now. I have not received child support in 2 years. Is this considered abandament? I live in Georgia.

Why my divorce still hurts 10 years later? [ 4 Answers ]

Been divorced for nearly 8 years and the other week I saw in the paper of the town I once lived in that my ex-wife had re-married and the pain shot through me. I am falling apart emotionally over this and starting to hurt my current marriage by pulling away from my wife. I once was a drug addict...

Hurts when he puts it in, fine during, hurts when he cums in me. [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know what it is. I went for a pap and I had a bacterial infection and I started taking this medication and afterwards, sex just isn't the same. I mean its so painful. Ive been with this guy for more than a year and we never used a condom but I don't think that has anything to do wit my...

View more questions Search