Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Connon Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Adding a new circuit?
    Hello, I am in the process of adding a basement bathroom and I have a couple of questions about the wiring. I plan to have a wall mounted light over the vanity, fed from a gfci outlet also at the vanity. I am going to have a ceiling fan/light as well as a shower light. I do have room in the panel so should I add a breaker and have this as a new circuit? The house is a small ranch (about 1200sf) and the panel was upgraded last year to 200amp. There already seems to be quite a few 15 & 20 amp circuits already, so should I take off one of those? If so, any idea how to identify which one? None of the circuits are labeled in the panel. Thanks in advance!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 07:39 AM
    A bathroom is required to have a 20 amp circuit for the outlet, if the circuit is for that bathroom alone, the any lights and fan in that bathroom can be on that 20 amp circuit.

The outlet needs to be GFI protected, use the outlet type, and the shower light needs to be GFI protected, so come off the load side of the GFI, feed the switch for the shower light, then a two wire to the shower light.

The fan and vanity light does not need to be GFI protected.

Take some time on a weekend to trace out all your circuits and label your panel, it will be helpful in the future.

Actually, labelling a panel is required by code, so the electrician that upgraded the service stiffed you, and the inspector did not catch it.

Dec 19, 2006, 08:02 AM
    Thanks for the quick response! I am assuming that the wiring should all be #12 correct? And do you recommend a separate circuit? The only reason I ask is it seems odd how may breakers there are for such a small house. There are at least a dozen, aside from the 220's. Thanks again
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 08:04 AM
    The shorted neutral & ground is far more serious than the inconveinence of not labelling the panel, which he should have his feet held to the fire for as well.

Did you report your findings to him? He may have a inexperienced apprentice doing improper connections elsewhere.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Yes the entire circuit needs to be #12, and yes a separate circuit is needed, unless there is another existing 20 amp circuit dedicated for bathroom outlets, then the fan and lights can go on a local lighting circuit, and the new bathroom outlet can connect to the exisitng bathroom outlet circuit.

Seems like it is time to trace out all your cirucits and outlets before deciding to add more circuits.

Dec 19, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Is there a limit as to how many lighting fixtures and outlets should be on one circuit? I am asking so when I trace the circuits, I know which one to use for the lights. Thanks
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 09:03 AM
    There is no limit for residential circuits, however the commercial code for a 20 amp circuit is 10 outets on a 20 amp circuit, and 8 on a 15 amp circuit, that is widely used as a guidline for residential wiring.

Dec 19, 2006, 09:13 AM
    One last question... I had to add a new circuit for the ejection pump that was installed for the plumbing. This is a 20amp gfci breaker in the box. The only thing connected to it is the pump. Would I be able to come off that to the outlet in the bathroom or should the pump be the only thing on that circuit? I truly appreciate your time in answering these questions.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 10:05 AM
    All depends on the size pump, and this pump should not need a GFI breaker or protection. It can be if you like, but expect nusiance tripping, and possibly a flood.

The 20 amp circuit/outlet for bathrooms is intended to be dedicated for hair dryers, etc, and if one circuit is in one bathroom, lights and fan in that bathroom is allowed on it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    The shorted neutral & ground is far more serious than the inconveinence of not labelling the panel, which he should have his feet held to the fire for as well.

Did you report your findings to him? He may have a inexperienced apprentice doing improper connections elsewhere.
    Unlicensed people doing work in a public building might do well to keep quiet about it. I think it is just one man and his son.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Now your scaring me... place of assembly if the building holds 100 people or more. I would not want to be the insurance adjuster on a claim for a problem there.

Dec 19, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Thank you for that info. I just looked up the pump installation online and you are 100% correct. There is nothing about a gfci mentioned. I am not sure why the plumber said it needed to be on one. Do you think I should change out the breaker? Also the pump is listed as 12 amp at full load, and it is on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Do you think it is OK to branch off for the lights etc?
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Yes change out the breaker to a regular one, use it for the bathroom. Find a lighting circuit for the lights, the pump will cause the lights to flicker.

Dec 19, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help so I can do this correctly the first time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a sub panel [ 6 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement which will have a 60x20 room and a 10x9 bathroom. I'm running 20 amp breakers,12-2 wire, 20 amp outlets. 2 breakers for 20 outlets ( 10 outlets a breaker). 1 breaker for 8 2x4 flourecents. 1 breaker for GFI ( for my freazer).

Adding a circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I'm finishing a basement and think it's best to start fresh with a new circuit for a room we're building. There is a spare circuit breaker already in the panel (30 amps), so I suppose I could just run the 12 gauge wire from it (no need to change to 20 amp breaker?). Also, how many more 20 amp...

Adding a bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to add a bathroom on the second floor in any space? We have some attic space on top of our garage which is close to a bedroom on the second floor. Will it be possible to add a bathroom in that space, so the room will have an attached bathroom? If not the room also has a big walk in...

Adding a heater to an existing circuit. [ 3 Answers ]

I want to place a 240V electric base board heater in a room. In the adjacent room I have a conveniently placed electric wall oven by itself on a 50 Amp circuit with 8 gauge wire. The oven is only rated at 30 Amps and the heater at 4.5 amps. So, I want to run wire from the oven to where the...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search