Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 11:38 AM

Well, fact 1 , the friend is dead.
    Fact two, our man feel guilt about the dead person.
    Fact three, the friend didn't commit suicide.
    So, I conclude that the friend was killed, for otherwise, I don't think that our man will be feeling guilty...

Or is this not so? :confused:
    Hexxie Posts: 152, Reputation: 12

Aug 5, 2010, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Sorry, no.

A lot of these puzzles are morbid though. Kind of strange. But now I'm curious what the heck you're thinking. :)
    Well you shot my theory! I was thinking along the lines of the Andes flight disaster. Only with a shipwreck of sorts because of the albatross. But my theory only works if the man was blind, that way he wouldn't know what was being fed to him.

Back to the drawing board, I guess! And I thought I was sooooo close!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Well, fact 1 , the friend is dead.
    Fact two, our man feel guilt about the dead person.
    Fact three, the friend didn't commit suicide.
    So, I conclude that the friend was killed, for otherwise, I don't think that our man will be feeling guilty...

or is this not so? :confused:
    Why does he necessarily have to feel guilty about the person getting killed? That isn't what he feels guilty about.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexxie View Post
    Well you shot my theory! I was thinking along the lines of the Andes flight disaster. Only with a shipwreck of sorts because of the albatross. But my theory only works if the man was blind, that way he wouldn't know what was being fed to him.

Back to the drawing board, I guess! And I thought I was sooooo close!
    You are. I don't know that you have the exact right details, but you seem to be onto the idea. When you started asking the questions you did, I thought you had it. But then that blind thing -- why does he have to be blind?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 11:20 PM
    so... following the review of q&a...

why albatross soup? Who the hell orders that?

he shot himself after tasting it and it didn't taste as he expected.

that suggests he has had it before. Maybe. Has he had it before?

was he lost at sea?

was his friend lost at sea with him?

did he cook the soup?

did his friend cook the soup?

cant figure out how to ask who cooked the damn soup in a yes or no answer...

=P
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 11:56 PM
    In the meantime, a simple riddle to bide the time...

Bethany died in lousiaina on a Saturday in July. Danielle unexpectedly died in the Caribbean ocean on a Thursday in August of the same year. Both were born in the same year.

Why would people be happier for danielle's death?
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 12:10 AM
    why albatross soup? Who the hell orders that?
    That's not a yes or no question. Of course, you can always ask if the fact that it was albatross soup is relevant.

he shot himself after tasting it and it didn't taste as he expected.
    That's been established already.

that suggests he has had it before. Maybe. Has he had it before?
    No.

was he lost at sea?
    Yes.

was his friend lost at sea with him?
    Yes.

did he cook the soup?
    No.

did his friend cook the soup?
    No. (Little difficult when you're dead.)

Actually I shouldn't have added that. There really is nothing at all saying that the friend didn't die between the time the soup was made and when said friend died. We've never established a time line there. However, it is true the person was already dead and therefore could not have made the soup.

Can't figure out how to ask who cooked the damn soup in a yes or no answer...
    The cook in the kitchen at the restaurant made the damn soup.

Sometimes is best to ask "Is it relevant that..." and if the answer is no you can stop the line of questioning and not worry about it. So is it relevant who made the soup? No. In fact, I'm only assuming the cook in the kitchen made it. Maybe Campbell's made it and it was in a can.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 12:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    in the meantime, a simple riddle to bide the time...

bethany died in lousiaina on a saturday in july. danielle unexpectedly died in the carribean ocean on a thursday in august of the same year. both were born in the same year.

why would people be happier for danielle's death?
    Literally happier, or just less upset?
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 12:20 AM
    no sh@t the cook in the fY^king restautaunt made the damn soup. Really? This isn't about that. Who made the damn soup the first time he had it or thought he had it? What were the circumstances?

k. alex... the answer in the form of a question is "did he think he'd had it before?"

is it relevant if he thinks he's had it before? Yes or frikin no?

nobody orders albatross soup off the cuff.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 12:22 AM
    Literally happier, or just less upset?
    Can't answer yes or no to this.

And please explain the difference between literally happier and less upset.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 01:34 AM
    no sh@t the cook in the fY^king restautaunt made the damn soup. really? this isnt about that. who made the damn soup the first time he had it or thought he had it? what were the circumstances?

k. alex... the answer in the form of a question is "did he think he'd had it before?"

is it relevent if he thinks he's had it before? yes or frikin no?

nobody orders albatross soup off the cuff.
    You're getting entirely too rude about it. The idea is you ask yes or no questions. I answer them. I'm answering them. If you're frustrated, fine. Ask for a hint. But stop getting pissed cause I answer the damn questions you ask.

It's never been establish that he'd had it at any other time, and in fact, I do believe I just said he hadn't. Since the ONLY soup that has ever been established was in this restaurant, then how the hell am I supposed to know you've made some assumption in your head that you've never told me about?

It's possible it was relevant who made it in the restaurant. Who are you to say that it wasn't relevant and then start getting all snotty and sarcastic with me and cussing over the whole damn thing? This was totally uncalled for.

I can't stop you from posting, but I sure as hell don't have to sit here and tolerate this and I don't have to answer you.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 01:42 AM
    cant answer yes or no to this.
    I don't recall you saying that we were following the same rules, or that this was supposed to be the same type of puzzle.

Do you always assume people are mind readers?
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 01:45 AM

Sorry, folks, kp just ruined all the fun for me by being a class-A jerk.

I'm calling hexxie the winner. The only issue there: if I hand you a bowl of soup and tell you it's duck soup, if you can see it, and you've never had it before, would you know it wasn't duck soup? No reason he had to be blind. But I think you know the answer.

If you wish to post your answer, feel free and I'll confirm it. Otherwise I'm done cause I really just don't need that kind of crap from someone right now, especially on what was just supposed to be a fun little game.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 07:38 AM
    Sorry, folks, kp just ruined all the fun for me by being a class-A jerk.
    Yeah, sorry about that. To all.

I was extremely jerkish last night. Bad day, worse night. No excuse to look for a fight on a riddle thread. Just found out my ex had a second affair I didn't know about. I'm I was in a Mood last night.

Have liked this thread. Please keep it up. Ill unsub and keep my irish temper aside.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 07:46 PM

Apology gladly accepted. Especially since coincidentally, it hadn't been a good couple of nights for me either. Nothing nearly as serious as an affair of course (eek!), but I left another site I'd been hanging around because I'd gotten fed up with some of the people there. (Rather cliquish sort of group who like to boss everyone around and scare people away, etc.)

That was two nights ago. So I came over here and had myself a good time doing puzzles, which is much more what I'd prefer to be doing than that other place anyway. So it actually had a nice calming effect on me.

But I wasn't totally over it, so I kind of didn't need this last night. But it does mean I certainly understand the rotten mood cause I've had a lousy week myself.
    Hexxie Posts: 152, Reputation: 12

Aug 6, 2010, 11:31 PM
    You are. I don't know that you have the exact right details, but you seem to be onto the idea. When you started asking the questions you did, I thought you had it. But then that blind thing -- why does he have to be blind?
    I see your point. I guess I just got hung up on that. Originally I was thinking they were on a raft and that's how the blind thing came into play, because that's the only way he won't know. But, of course, they could be on an island. I get it now.
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 01:25 AM

On a raft... ah, I see where you're coming from. But I know of several other puzzles on rafts/boats. :-)
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2010, 01:19 PM

I am just marking a spot. I enjoyed following along this one. I will definitely tell this one later.
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2010, 02:22 PM

Three versions of the answer are back around post 66 I think? Don't know if you caught those.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2010, 11:47 AM

Yes, I did catch it. I still haven't had time to tell it yet but really want to soon. Maybe a good one for the dinner table tonight. I will post one here in a second, hopefully people come and read.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pool lateral line broken [ 0 Answers ]

Will this cause the pump not to prime or is holding prime another problem

Rotary motion converted to lateral [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what mechanisms can convert rotary motion into lateral motion. In particular something similar to that of a an engine valve where it is stationary for most of the revolution and only moves up and down quickly over say a quarter of a turn or less. I understand the principal of...

Lateral knee pain [ 2 Answers ]

recently my dad exercised on the elipitical for 40 minutes and following this particular exercise session felt extreme knee pain when kneeling/squatting. On a scale of 0-10 (0=no pain/10=excruiating pain) he said the pain was about an 8 or a 9. the pain is sharp and increases so that its almost...

Lateral Pass hitting the ground [ 3 Answers ]

In the Rosebowl, USC threw a lateral pass. The pass hit the ground (which I assumed was incomplete) a receiver picked it up, and ran down the field for a first down. It was reviewed and the official said it was a lateral pass. I am not questioning lateral, I understand it was pass backwards, but if...

No septic tank.only lateral lines? [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of purchasing a foreclosure that has been empty for approx 6 months or so. Of course, the mortgage company has taken the AS IS, WHERE IS stance and anything I want to know about, I have to find out for myself. My real estate agent-prince that he is-went "a-digging" and found...

View more questions Search