Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 3, 2010, 08:53 PM

Right! :)

Ok, I think you said that he killed himself because of the way the soup tasted, so did the soup not taste how he expected?

Was he used to a different version of this soup?

Was the man in the Navy?
    Dogs Expert

Aug 3, 2010, 08:55 PM

My father used to say a popular saying, (he was Navy), I won't repeat it, but I think I know the answer.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 09:13 PM
    Ok, I think you said that he killed himself because of the way the soup tasted, so did the soup not taste how he expected?
    No.

Was he used to a different version of this soup?
    Yes.

Was the man in the Navy?
    Irrelevant.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    My father used to say a popular saying, (he was Navy), I won't repeat it, but I think I know the answer.
    If someone thinks they know the answer they can always put SPOILER at the top of the post and go down several lines and then put their conclusion. Then anyone who cares to finish guessing may do so.

Though I may have blown in with the Navy question. Or you may know a different version. I've heard more than one version myself, but I'm trying to stick with what appears to be the popular one. If someone gets the gist, though, that'll count.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 09:18 PM

Ooohhh, Unky's trick: do white font. And to read it, you highlight it.

Like this: (down there - pointing)
    Like this

EDIT: Next post is a spoiler of AN answer. If you'd like to keep guessing, skip over it. Also, this is not either version I've heard but the same main concept is there.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 3, 2010, 09:23 PM

Spoiler

My father used to say when I was caught in a fib or lie, "Don't feed me human and tell me it's Albatross"

A few years later, he told me a "navy tale" about a ship being stranded on a deserted island, the cook told the crew "this island has plenty of Albatross, so that's what we will eat", the people on the island started disappearing, and no one could figure out why. Finally it was just the cook and the Captain left, they were rescued before another meal was made. When the man ate the albatross he realized what real Albatross tasted like, and knew what happened to his ship mates.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 10:27 PM
    As I said above, the main concept is there, in a version I haven't heard. The other two versions I know are below. Highlight everything under this sentence to read them.

Neither version is this detailed, and neither has disappearing people. Both are shipwrecks on a deserted island with no food. And of course people are eaten, he tastes the soup and realizes what happened. So that really is the "main concept" in my opinion.

But in one version, there is not all the stuff about the disappearing people. Just simply that the cook says he's killed an albatross and has fixed some soup. When tasting real albatross soup, the guy freaks because it's against his religious beliefs to eat humans and feeling he has sinned beyond saving, kills himself.

The version I found most online and was using for answers is that it was just him and his wife and the captain. His wife got killed in the shipwreck, so he already knew she was dead. He didn't of course know the captain had used her for food. So when he discovers it was his wife, he simply can't deal with having eaten his wife and commits suicide.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 10:41 PM

Well, after reading Bella's post (not the spoiler part), I'm somewhat confused by the fact that you said that the man thought the Albatross would bring bad luck to him since I did some research about the albatross and found that there was also a myth of bad luck with killing an albatross among sailors... and then Bella talked about Navys (except that it's completely different from the story I read on wikipedia.

So... um... did he gave fake albatross to someone who then died?
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 11:42 PM
    Well, after reading Bella's post (not the spoiler part), I'm somewhat confused by the fact that you said that the man thought the Albatross would bring bad luck to him since I did some research about the albatross and found that there was also a myth of bad luck with killing an albatross among sailors... and then Bella talked about Navys (except that it's completely different from the story I read on wikipedia.
    Two responses. One, I didn't say the man thought the albatross would bring bad luck. I said it was irrelevant. Meaning, he may think that, or he may not, I don't know, and it makes no difference in the answer to the scenario. Second, notice I said it was irrelevant whether he was in the Navy. Neither version I know involves the Navy. Her version is an "old navy story," but even given that, her version doesn't necessitate him being in the navy.

So... um... did he gave fake albatross to someone who then died?
    [/QUOTE]

No.

(There are times when it's difficult from this side, but there are times when it's also terribly funny.)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 11:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    he remembers hes allergic to albatross soup and will die a painful slow death so decides to shoot himself instead.
    If I wasn't in love with you before... well... I'm still not in love with your but I Like you More Larger than Ever in the history of Ever than I did before.

Redhed makes my world spin a little off kilter. And I think that is awesome.

Big kisses back atcha.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 11:48 PM

Good time for a summary of all questions/answers:

*We know the original setting. But only exactly what I said. Don't assume anything other than what was said.
    *redhead started with trying to guess the senario and all I really said was "no" - so we're going to say that him being allergic to albatross, and whether it's kosher, are not releveant
    *Is he on holiday? Irrelevant
    *Is he on a desert island with only one restaurant? Irrelevant
    *Is it actually albotross soup? Yes
    *Does he think it's (the soup) something else? No
    *Did the man really want to shoot himself? Yes
    *Did someone whom he knew died recently? Someone died, yes. As for "recently" - I would say not really relevant.
    *Did the man made a promise of some sort to this now dead person whatsoever before having the soup? Irrelevant
    *Is the dead person in the soup? No
    *Is the man depressed? Depressed probably isn't the best word, and if you mean like someone being depressed for several weeks or even years, then no.
    *Is it because of the taste? Yes
    *Was the man sick? No
    *The soup was so awful he killed himself? No
    *Did the food taste good? Irrelevant
    *Did he have enough money to pay for the soup? Irrelevant
    *Does the soup remind him of the person who died? NK's answer: kinda; my answer: question taken literally, yes
    *He perhaps thinks that the albatross would bring bad luck? Irrelevant
    *the albatross was his long lost pet,on realising this he shot himself out of horror? No
    *Does he have guilt? Yes
    *Did he kill someone? No
    *Did he witness someone die? Yes
    *Does it have anything to do with the waiter? No
    *Does he feel guilty about killing the bird? No one asked if he killed it, but no he does not feel guilty about the bird
    *Does his depression have to do with the death of the bird? No
    *I added: the entire scenario is not relevant to the death of the bird
    *Did the soup taste like what he expected? No
    *Was he used to a different version of the soup? Yes
    *Was the man in the navy? Irrelevant
    *Did he give fake albatross to someone who then died? No
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 11:53 PM
    That tongue licking the monitor totally cracks me up.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    That tongue licking the monitor totally cracks me up.
    Irrelevant!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 02:53 AM

Did our man kill the person who died?
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Did our man kill the person who died?
    No.

(Sorry, actually finally went to bed a bit earlier last night.)

Re-read the summary. It's already been established that he didn't kill anyone at all.
    Hexxie Posts: 152, Reputation: 12

Aug 4, 2010, 10:28 PM

Did the person who died use to make albatross soup for him?

Did they used to go out for albatross soup together?

Does the person who died have any connection to the albatross soup?
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 11:04 PM
    Did the person who died use to make albatross soup for him?
    No.

Did they used to go out for albatross soup together?
    No.

Does the person who died have any connection to the albatross soup?
    Yes... what I'd call an indirect one.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 12:07 AM

Bloody nora this puzzle is a conundrum.
    Hexxie Posts: 152, Reputation: 12

Aug 5, 2010, 12:28 AM

Let me make sure I have this right:

Someone died, who had a(n indirect) connection to the soup, that reminded the man of them.

The soup was a different versioin than the man was accustomed to and upon tasting it, he felt guilty and shot himself?

Is this right so far?
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 12:34 AM

Ah, it's late, so Europe is back with us now.

Well, it's difficult, but I've found these types of puzzles to be that way. Have you heard the common one that there's a dead man lying on an island, why? There's like a trillion different reasons for that but you have to find the "correct" one, though I also think there's a couple of different versions of it. These things can take a while and take some patience, and you definitely have to like this sort of thing.

Although there are some lateral thinking problems which just have a pretty straight-forward flat-out answer, but still require thinking outside the box. I may throw some of those onto the other riddle threads.

If you want the answer it's in posts #66 & 67. Or would you like a hint?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pool lateral line broken [ 0 Answers ]

Will this cause the pump not to prime or is holding prime another problem

Rotary motion converted to lateral [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what mechanisms can convert rotary motion into lateral motion. In particular something similar to that of a an engine valve where it is stationary for most of the revolution and only moves up and down quickly over say a quarter of a turn or less. I understand the principal of...

Lateral knee pain [ 2 Answers ]

recently my dad exercised on the elipitical for 40 minutes and following this particular exercise session felt extreme knee pain when kneeling/squatting. On a scale of 0-10 (0=no pain/10=excruiating pain) he said the pain was about an 8 or a 9. the pain is sharp and increases so that its almost...

Lateral Pass hitting the ground [ 3 Answers ]

In the Rosebowl, USC threw a lateral pass. The pass hit the ground (which I assumed was incomplete) a receiver picked it up, and ran down the field for a first down. It was reviewed and the official said it was a lateral pass. I am not questioning lateral, I understand it was pass backwards, but if...

No septic tank.only lateral lines? [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of purchasing a foreclosure that has been empty for approx 6 months or so. Of course, the mortgage company has taken the AS IS, WHERE IS stance and anything I want to know about, I have to find out for myself. My real estate agent-prince that he is-went "a-digging" and found...

View more questions Search