Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lollylegs_leslie Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2010, 12:02 AM
    How to get into film directing from scratch
    I love movies and hope someday I can be a part of one. I am interested in film directing but I don't have any experience and it hard because I can't afford to do courses therefore I can't make any moves I would like to start with a short film but I wouldn't know what I am doing. *** help.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 12:06 AM
    Hi again, lollylegs_leslie!

Are you presently in school, please?

Thanks!

Aug 3, 2010, 12:09 AM

Yes
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 12:10 AM
    At the high school or college level, please?

Thanks!

Aug 3, 2010, 12:11 AM

Do you really need to know that
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 12:14 AM
    Yes, so can have an idea as to what might be available to you in order to help you.

Aug 3, 2010, 12:16 AM

OK I am in high school so are you an actor or have you done anything in the filming business

Aug 3, 2010, 12:19 AM

Clough are you there
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 12:24 AM
    Please read my profile. Everything is verifiable and true. I could also add some things to it.

The only change in it from the way that it's presently written is that I'm not directing the barbershop chorus anymore and that I've been in church music now more years than I've listed.

Yes, I'm an actor. That's one of the things that I've done for a long time. I also have lots of connections of various kinds in the arts industry. Arts would include film making.

There are reviews of some things that I've done in shows on newspaper websites.

Aug 3, 2010, 12:29 AM

So who really are you have you done any movies that went out on dvd or just shorts films
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 12:39 AM
    Who really am I? I'm a performing artist who has done a lot of things in the performing arts to make a living as well as doing other types of things to make a living. That would be typical for a performing artist around where I live. If I lived in a huge metropolitan area, I would be able to make my entire living in the performing arts.

No, I haven't done any movies. But, I know people who have been in them. I also know people around where I live who teach subjects concerning film making as well as people who run things in television studios. I was in a commercial a long time ago and have been a guest on television shows.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Aug 4, 2010, 02:56 PM

Lolly, are you talking about directing a film now while you are in high school? If you don't have the money to take any courses which would give you some idea as to how to go about making a film, you might want to check out the colleges/universities in your area that teach film making. See if you can find a student director and offer to help him/her as their assistant. This way, you will be able to learn firsthand how to make a film without having to take a course. If you find that you like it, when you start looking at colleges and universities, find ones that offer courses in film making. How are your grades? If you have decent grades you might be able to get a scholarship. If your grades aren't that great, you should attempt to knuckle down and really pull them up if you are serious about a directing career. The people that I have known who directed films majored in film making in college. Speak to your guidance counselor and find out what schools you can apply to. In the meantime, your guidance counselor actually might be able to help you find a student filmmaker that is looking for an assistant.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2010, 03:05 PM

Video cameras are cheap today. Save up to buy a little camera and some editing software. Then make some movies at school so you get some practice. Read about film online. Get books from the library. Experiment with different techniques. You can do movies for some school assignments (if the teachers will let you). Post your movies at Youtube but only if they are good. Keep working at it while you figure out what else you can do.

Aug 4, 2010, 10:57 PM

Thanks guys that helps a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

True film about wife kills husband,daughter takes blame think its 80's film [ 1 Answers ]

Mother kills her husband at start of the film and gets her teenage daughter to take the blame its based on a true story I think its late 80's and very early 90's, anyone know what you call it ?

Film title about bicycles and relationship between some sisters (70s/80s film) [ 2 Answers ]

Really trying to find out the title of a film / movie from the 70s or 80s. All I can remember is that there were these 2 young sisters in a family, I think they were crazy about wanting a bicycle or something. And I vaguely remember something about someone (perhaps one of the sisters) stealing the...

I want to start from scratch [ 36 Answers ]

Entire story merged My boyfriend and I have been together for 10 months. Everything has been wonderful up until recently. All of the sudden he wants to hang out with his friends ALL the time and we never see/talk to each other anymore. It really kills me because sometimes he's emotionally...

View more questions Search