Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sissy200 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2010, 05:19 PM
    Salaried non exempt employee
    I am trying to find out if being a salaried employee mean your employer can consistently require you to work 60+ hours per week for less than 25,000 a year? ANy one know the laws for Tennessee.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 2, 2010, 05:48 PM

The law is the default law for the federal guidelines for employment. Was it indicated what your job outline was? Are you doing work above and beyong the outline ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2010, 06:02 PM

To be salary you have to be paid 455 dollars a week minimum. That is I believe 23660 a year. So yes they can by federal law pay you 25,000 a year to be on salary.

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Fact Sheet
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Aug 4, 2010, 09:46 AM

The title says salaried non exempt. If you are non exempt than you must be paid overtime for all hours worked over 40 in a week.

To be exempt or non exempt is not determined by wage but by job duties performed.

In order to be exempt you must match certain criteria in one of the exempt FLSA areas.

If you feel you are misclassified you need to contact your local Department of Labor and have them do a classification audit on your position. If you are found to be misclassified than your employer will be required to go back and pay you overtime for all the hours you worked over 40 in a week.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing Pennsylvania exempt salaried employee to hourly [ 1 Answers ]

Can I change an exempt salaried employee to an hourly employee in PA?

Salaried non exempt pay [ 1 Answers ]

Can you deduct pay in hour increments from a salaried non exempt employee

Should an exempt salaried employee be docked for leaving early [ 1 Answers ]

I am an exempt salaried employee who works 40 hours a week 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months I work anywhere from 70 to 100 hrs a week. About a month ago I left about 2 hrs early, and then last week about 1 1/2 hrs early. Now they are telling me that I have to take that off my monthly...

View more questions Search